Formula 1 - 2020 Season

there it is - he will at least have a better PU
and a copied car

Is it Vettel's first time with Mercedes engines?

Edit: Just noticed this from link above. For 2022 is it mandatory that everyone build a "brand new car"?

"The Aston Martin car next year will have a Mercedes engine in the back, it's the best. And the car is essentially a copy of the 2019 Mercedes. Whether that will still be competitive in 2021 is question number one, and when the rules significantly change in 2022 and everybody has to build a brand new car, that is where Vettel will have a big question mark: Is this Aston Martin team the top team to compete with Mercedes?"

Last edited:
So qualifying merc, merc, rb, rb, ferrari.
Gasly out in Q1 weird because he looked quick in practice.
Vettel struggling down in 14th.

Gotta feel for Perez being dumped, though can certainly understand RP picking up a 4* champion whose butt is waving in the wind. (& so much for my little quote that he was admitting retirement!) even if his performance has been mediocre last couple of years.

I feel like in the joy at Gaslys win Hamiltons achievement in that race has been ignored.
He was last by 23s to the next car, half way through a race with relatively few overtakes but managed to finish 7th while Bottas languished in 5th pretty much the whole race.
Any other race & that'd have been the focus of attention.

Wow carnage start, 2 out from 2 incidents at 4th corner & another 4 before crossing the line on restart + lots of other damage -> red flag.

Ya, the second incident on the restart was someone anticipating restart. Not sure who, but the accident actually happened before Bottas restarted. If watch from the front you can see Gios car in the air before Bottas engages.

And now a second red flag after Stroll goes off because of a puncture.

Last edited:
Yeah that front angle showed it really clear.
2nd red flag now & down to 12 running cars.

Kvyat managed to stay out of the carnage, in good position with 7th & gets a potential free tyre change due to red flag.

The Stroll crash looked nasty. Was that the corner where they did close to 300 in quali?

Bottas again unable to mount any kind of challenge. Albon's first podium but somehow I kind of wanted to see Renault and Ric on the podium more.

Bottas again unable to mount any kind of challenge.
Guess you missed the start where he sprinted ahead of Hamilton, and as we know passing another Merc with a Merc during regular race is hard so without all the safety car & red flag shenanigans he might have just as well won the race.

12 drivers warned: Magnussen, Kvyat, Latifi, Albon, Stroll, Ricciardo, Perez, Norris, Ocon, Russell, Giovinazzi and Sainz

"The Stewards conclude that the root cause of this incident was the inconsistent application of throttle and brake, from the final corner along the pit straight, by the above drivers. The Stewards acknowledge the challenges the location of the Control Line presents at this circuit and the desire of drivers to take advantage of the restart."

"However this incident demonstrates the need for caution to be exercised in the restart situation and note that there was an extreme concertina effect which dramatically increased as it moved down the field."

"We also note that some drivers might have avoided being involved in the incident had they not followed directly behind the car in front. By doing so they effectively blocked off all visibility of what was happening immediately in front of the preceding car."

"A warning has been imposed as it is the view of the Stewards that no one driver was wholly or predominantly to blame."

"It was further noted that the driver of Car 77 (Valteri Bottas) and the other drivers involved in the restart not mentioned above, complied with the regulations. Car 77 had the right under the regulations to dictate the pace."

https://www.racefans.net/2020/09/13...offensive-claim-safety-was-risked-at-restart/
Bottas claimed Mercedes raised concerns over the timing of Safety Car restarts before the race began, “but they said basically they’re going to keep doing it because it’s better for the show.”

Masi firmly rejected the suggestion that safety had been compromised in order to produce a more exciting restart.

“Absolutely not,” he said. “From an FIA perspective, safety is paramount, full stop. End of story.

“In my capacity as the race director and safety delegate, point blank, that’s where my role sits as the sporting integrity and safety. And anyone that says otherwise is actually quite offensive.”
*popcorn-smiley*

The Stroll crash looked nasty. Was that the corner where they did close to 300 in quali?

Bottas again unable to mount any kind of challenge. Albon's first podium but somehow I kind of wanted to see Renault and Ric on the podium more.

Bottas did have some bad luck with the qualifying not being able to complete his last run due to yellow flag, and then in the race there was a point where his team screwed him over by letting him run on worn out tires too long, that one or two laps before he pitted he lost, what, 7 seconds? That really took the pressure off Hamilton.

entertaining race but super scary rolling restart

bottas missed a trick saying "give me opposite of hamilton" and then pitted first (supposedly for safety)

gutted that danny ric got overtaken but happy for albon

You missed that his tire was at zero percent. He didn’t come in too early, he came in too late. And perhaps had been pushing his tires too hard chasing Hamilton.

The F1 prerace show on YouTube had a word with Gunther Steiner. He basically said that because of lack of money they haven’t developed this year’s car, and they’re not necessarily looking for a fast driver in the short term. The worse they do (next year, I think), the more aero they’ll be allowed in 2022 (with the true next car). Not sure how much worse they can do given the engine power loss and total lack of development (neither really their fault) and the poor car they’re starting with (their “fault,” ignoring budget), so they may not need to go out of their way to find a slow driver, but it sounds like they’ll get at least one pay driver for a year. I don’t how much a driver can help develop the 2022 car on track next year, and they almost certainly have a dedicated sim/reserve driver (like everyone else), so maybe they’ll replace both?

Lewis almost didn’t make it out of Q uhh 2 because his first lap was deleted for track limits, the team called him in to switch to a new set, and Vettel crashed hard to red flag the session with 2:15 left before Lewis had another go. He started his lap with about a second to spare.

Mercedes a mile ahead of the field, but Bottas half a mile behind Hamilton. Bottas and Sochi are best buds, so maybe he purposefully slowed to get the tow into T1? Max might have helped him by taking P2. Albon over a second off of Max in Q3. Dunno if there were exigent circumstances, but I’m pretty sure he was a lot closer this weekend before Q3. Stroll either had a problem with the car or wanted a choice of tires by not getting out of P2. Perez managed P4 with the slower Racing Point, ahead of Ricciardo.

Lewis almost didn’t make it out of Q uhh 2 because his first lap was deleted for track limits, the team called him in to switch to a new set, and Vettel crashed hard to red flag the session with 2:15 left before Lewis had another go. He started his lap with about a second to spare.

Mercedes a mile ahead of the field, but Bottas half a mile behind Hamilton. Bottas and Sochi are best buds, so maybe he purposefully slowed to get the tow into T1? Max might have helped him by taking P2. Albon over a second off of Max in Q3. Dunno if there were exigent circumstances, but I’m pretty sure he was a lot closer this weekend before Q3. Stroll either had a problem with the car or wanted a choice of tires by not getting out of P2. Perez managed P4 with the slower Racing Point, ahead of Ricciardo.
Or he was just simply slower than the mexican?

Back