CPU/GPU fan/heatsink upgrade what do I need?

not a direct link but (4770k @4.4 loses to a r3 3300x @ stock)
theres an i-5 4690 which is quite close to what you have
ps: how long are you planning on keeping your current setup before getting a new mboard/cpu/ram ?

Last edited:
Man my excitement levels have dropped considerablely... But if I go a new CPU variant route then I need a new Mobo and RAM.

BTW there is also a CPU called the 4770S which is not on the list of the MB I currently have, any chance it would work?
It only is 3.1ghz but it has hyperthreading.

Should work
cant find any posts confirming it
ps: question what is running slow ?

Last edited:
Are you by any Microcenter stores? They have some fantastic Ryzen deals and a discount on a motherboard if you buy them together, and memory really is cheap right now. I upgraded for like $420 in April, but I also picked up an RX 580 8GB too.

I'm not advertising for them and not sponsored/affiliated with them in any way other than I really like 'em and they have some fantastic deals, but they're usually in store only.

Should work
cant find any posts confirming it
ps: question what is running slow ?
W/O confirmation I won't risk it, back when I did this more often I remember the BIOS needing to support the CPU... I think it had something to do with microcode updates.
As far as whats slow, I'm actually ok with things but I bought this computer 6 years ago and its about time to reapply the TIM and I'm a little disappointed in myself for depending on prebuilt computers so I up for a project if its cheap enough. As far as actual stuff goes I'll leave out serious stuff, so for games lets say deus ex MD at 1600x900. Crysis 1 or 2. Monster Hunter World.

Last edited:
At the beginning of the year I has an i5-2400 and a gtx 970 and ran Deus Ex MD and Crysis 1, 2 + 3 at 1680x1050 ok (dx was a bit borderline) what gfx do you have

I don't have Crysis 3 but all the ones you mention and Monster Hunter World (and more) makes a fan in my computer to go crazy no matter what the settings. I know the GPU fan but I'm not sure about the power supply fan. I did buy a mining gpu maybe thats why?
edit - rx470
btw what settings do you use?

AMD RYZEN 5 2600 139.99 at newegg don't know how long it will last.
Not bad, I got my Ryzen 5 1600 for $79us at MicroCenter and I've been running/loving it at 3.9GHz ever since. I couldn't find any 2600s in stock, and their 3600 bundles of CPU/mobo cost around $230 so it's not as great. (B450 mobo)

Also the RX 470 could be holding you back a LOT, I have an 8GB RX 580 and it can't run everything max but I can still get good gaming out of it. Of course, I recently smashed the window on the side of my case to put a 120mm fan on it so it'd keep the thing cooler since Control was taking it in to the mid 80s C range but it's been working well and hasn't passed 68C since.

There should be a glut on the market of some very reasonable GPUs in a couple of weeks, just a suggestion to keep your eyes open or start doing some research now. I was totally out of practice when I did my upgrade last April, my wife surprised me out of the blue and I sort of winged it. Got lucky with the RX 580, they had an open box one for $143us and I couldn't resist and haven't regretted it in the least. I still plan to upgrade it sometime this winter/fall just because I think their will be some great values but also because I like having a decent card on hand I'm not using just for when someone's dies. (4 gaming rigs in the house, happens. ;) )

Im on a totally different p.c now (ryzen 7 3800x, rtx2070, 32gb)
but afaik it was high details 1680x1050 some games 5292x1050
Well I was already at 1600x900 but putting it down to high did cut the fan noise a good amount in Deus ex MD. I'll try some other games.
But I really didn't think it would make much of a difference since I wasn't dropping frames... I wonder why.

I know but what is it like 300 shaders and 100 to 200 mhz boost?

BTW = I should and probably will make a new thread but I think my PC might have a power problem. Recently when I attempt to plug in my usb HD, when the metal touches (before any actual plugging in) the screen goes blank for a second...Am I supposed to plugin power after USB? But also my pc hangs on boot when plugged in... I thought I put the boot order correct.

That shouldnt happen
I once has a pc that had no display turned out a bit of solder on the underneath of the motherboard was touching the motherboard tray Id check that, take the board out put it on its box get it running and try the usb hdd again
ps: when I say box I mean motherboard box not p.c case

Last edited:
What do i search for a mini-screwdriver set/ hex set?? I want to take apart my gpu and look it over. I'll reapply the thermal paste too.

What do i search for a mini-screwdriver set/ hex set?? I want to take apart my gpu and look it over. I'll reapply the thermal paste too.
Uhm, what GPU again and how many have you torn down? The thermal paste on the GPU is easy, the TIM on the memory and power stuff isn't.

If you don't know what TIM is, don't take your GPU apart yet. It stands for "thermal insulation material" and it's like a little pad that gets laid on top of the memory and things and is sticky on both sides. Generally once you tear it apart you have to replace it, and the last time I did that is when I found out what TIM is and got pissed off trying to find some to replace it with. (This was a while ago, it's easy to find various kinds now)

Just a heads up so you don't get a nasty surprise like me.

Back