Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
120fps doesn't do any good on 60fps TVs like my TCL Series 6? So I don't see much point in it for the majority of the TVs out there.

Tommy McClain

Aside from improved input controls and reduced latency, it might get interesting if games use some form of reconstruction/temporal anti-aliasing improvements so even if final output is 60 fps it could still benefit running at 120 fps?

Aside from improved input controls and reduced latency, it might get interesting if games use some form of reconstruction/temporal anti-aliasing improvements so even if final output is 60 fps it could still benefit running at 120 fps?

Oh my god I have been wondering this same thing the whole week.

A bit like supersampling, which has great results, what if we ran a game internally at 120hz but “downsampled” it to 60? What would that do? More natural motion blur?

I’ve been wondering all week!

Oh my god I have been wondering this same thing the whole week.

A bit like supersampling, which has great results, what if we ran a game internally at 120hz but “downsampled” it to 60? What would that do? More natural motion blur?

I’ve been wondering all week!
You can test this type of thing using reshade's accumulation motion blur - I made some video content about it before.

Here check it out in Half Life 2:

120fps doesn't do any good on 60fps TVs like my TCL Series 6? So I don't see much point in it for the majority of the TVs out there.

Tommy McClain

120 Hz rendering at 60 Hz output is still beneficial from a input/output feedback loop. Whatever you see on the screen will always be the most recent display of your inputs to the game, even if there's a performance bubble that drops performance temporarily.

If you watch the video I linked they not only explain it but they also test it. The results are real for both pro gamers and casual gamers.

It's one of the reasons I didn't turn on Vsync in games until I got old enough that my reactions were suitably slowed. It was FAR FAR more preferable to play with tearing with rendering being 150-200% higher than the refresh rate of my display. After a while you get used to the tearing, but you (or at least I) never got used to the sluggish controls of 60 Hz display with 60 Hz game rendering. Ugh. Even now I can feel it, but my reactions have slowed enough that I just shrug it off.

This was before there were high refresh rate monitors available to the average consumer. If 120/144/240 Hz monitors were available back then, I would have been in heaven.

Console games at 30 Hz have always been pure torture to me...and they still are.

Regards,
SB

Yes it's that wow moment going from 60 to 144 already. Imagine going from 30 to 120/144 in virtually all games. I think the 3090 is for that kind of market that dont want to compromise settings and resolutions (8k 60fps).

Anyway:

Something that struck me about this now that I have more time to watch the entire thing.

FS2020 at 540p looks better than most if not all of current gen games.

The image is obviously soft but the detail is still there, the effects are still there, etc.

So, chalk one up for prettier pixels over more pixels. :)

Regards,
SB

Something that struck me about this now that I have more time to watch the entire thing.

The image is obviously soft but the detail is still there, the effects are still there, etc.

Regards,
SB

And it scales, i'm sure a 3090 will like this one.

Regards,
SB
It might be the same amount of pixels if you account for pixels/second. 540p is awesome for some games, especially retro ones. I recently played a bunch of Hexen 2 at 540p and texture filtering off. It retains the classic chunky look but had some modern effects because of the source port I was using (real time light, etc). GZDoom also looks great at 540p, especially if you add the POM textures and shaders so the walls look all bumpy. If you keep texture filtering off the walls almost look like they are made of voxels.

Regards,
SB

I think that this is the whole point behind DLSS (and other reconstruction tech) and getting away from crazy and frankly unnecessary ‘native’ resolutions. Just think how much juice you can get out of a GPU by not just pushing more pixels - something that strikes me more as a marketing “win” most times.

Tommy McClain

Yep, and it is strange that 120fps is mentioned so much when it is only available such a tiny, tiny fraction of gamers out here.

I’ll definitely try it (if it actually works on my TV, jury is still out), but again this is yet another ‘marketing feature’ until a much larger portion of people can actually see it.

Also worth noting that we’ve had these new TV features pushed to us all so close to each other - first 1080p, then 4K, then HDR, now it’s bloody 8k and 120fps! - and a lot of us upgraded at the 4K/HDR stage and have zero intention of changing TV any time soon, years in fact.

In that last switch (4K/HDR) we all accepted the idea of having a much larger screen than we would have thought a few years before (I’d never have thought I’d be ok with a 65” but here we are). And switching out a huge TV is even more of a big decision than it would have been a few years ago when we had 32/42” screens.

I know that Sony/Samsung and all the rest want us to keep buying TVs but as they get bigger and feature rich, it will take longer and longer for us to upgrade them.

I’ve always bought TVs pretty much to match my new console generations (HD with PS3, 1080p for PS4 and 4K for the Pro, which was a very quick transition by my standards) and I don’t think I’ll need to upgrade this time around with PS5.

Yep, and it is strange that 120fps is mentioned so much when it is only available such a tiny, tiny fraction of gamers out here.

Don't forget that 120 Hz rendering at 60 Hz display still offers many benefits. I don't know if the consoles will allow you to do that, however, or if they'll cap rendering rate to display refresh rate.

Also worth noting that we’ve had these new TV features pushed to us all so close to each other - first 1080p, then 4K, then HDR, now it’s bloody 8k and 120fps! - and a lot of us upgraded at the 4K/HDR stage and have zero intention to change TV any time soon, years!

Pssssst...this is a sign that you are getting old. At my age it feels like 1080p TVs came out 2-3 years ago. :p I'm shocked that my GTX 1070 is 4...4!!!...years old now. I swear it bought it just 1-2 years ago when it first launched into the market. :p

Should we start calling you London_Geezer soon? ;)

Regards,
SB

Don't forget that 120 Hz rendering at 60 Hz display still offers many benefits. I don't know if the consoles will allow you to do that, however, or if they'll cap rendering rate to display refresh rate.

Pssssst...this is a sign that you are getting old. At my age it feels like 1080p TVs came out 2-3 years ago. :p I'm shocked that my GTX 1070 is 4...4!!!...years old now. I swear it bought it just 1-2 years ago when it first launched into the market. :p

Should we start calling you London_Geezer soon? ;)

Regards,
SB

Wow I’ve been thinking I need a new name on here, as I’ve definitely outgrown ‘boy’ which I choose more than 15 years ago - yeah, that old - and I’ve been wondering what that could be, and London-Geezer is just perfect! Thanks!!

And done!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back