Future Hardware & Software Purchases

If its no longer playing games at 1080p and they are forced down to 720p then its running games slower than before.
workloads are increasing doesn't mean the console is going slower. The console is likely going faster over time if I'm honest. Driver and device optimizations, resource reservation changes, compiler optimizations etc. Consoles today are likely running higher performance than from launch. This is especially true of Xbox One for sure. The state it launched in was... dramatic. The workload is getting larger however and thus causing the resolutions to dip.

Ok last try.

they are not slower, just a lower resolution.

either way the console is not slower that is was.

I’m out

Indeed, PS4 is still rocking it's 1.84TF (or whatever it is), clocking at the same speeds as in 2013. Hardware can't get slower lol, only software will run slower because the hardware ages (new hardware every year, month etc). Probably one of the reasons we saw mid gen refreshes.
That we see is games taking a hit, some more then others. Even first party games do have resolution and/or framerate disadvantages against newer hardware (Pro/One X).

It's the same with the PC, my 7950 is still as fast as it was in 2012, backthen it teared through everything at max probably, different thing now, the thing did 1440p even, today maybe 1080p. The GPU is still as fast though :)

Maybe in Apple's case (if true?) where older phones recieving newer IOS versions actually get downclocked to cope with the newer features and to save battery time. Then the hardware is running slower, it's even noticeable, the Iphone 5s is actually slower now then it was on IOS7.
Consoles are not getting downclocked with new firmwares, i hope :p

If its no longer playing games at 1080p and they are forced down to 720p then its running games slower than before.
I'm not following. Are you suggesting that a PS4 will play the game game slower compared to x years ago? Because that sounds like bullshit.

he just means newer games run worse than older games because devs are pushing the system to its limits and can't optimize much, so some choose to have their game running worse to keep details higher.

he just means newer games run worse than older games because devs are pushing the system to its limits and can't optimize much, so some choose to have their game running worse to keep details higher.

Yes exactly this. The hardware doesn't get slower though, still running at the same clocks and TFs :p

These got delivered today. They're replacing my two external 256GB SSDs which I'm currently using for X1X. With this I won't have to use the front USB port on the console since I also have a 8TB external HDD. I hated having a USB cable sticking out the front of the console.

51VivVeOyYL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

71o8F-dDw4L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089KF71LB
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087QRVVVH

These got delivered today. They're replacing my two external 256GB SSDs which I'm currently using for X1X. With this I won't have to use the front USB port on the console since I also have a 8TB external HDD. I hated having a USB cable sticking out the front of the console.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089KF71LB
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087QRVVVH

Will you be putting them through the paces on a PC with some sort of benchmarking software? Do keep us informed on how well they work. I had been thinking of trying something similar if for nothing more than being curious.

Indeed, PS4 is still rocking it's 1.84TF (or whatever it is), clocking at the same speeds as in 2013. Hardware can't get slower lol, only software will run slower because the hardware ages (new hardware every year, month etc). Probably one of the reasons we saw mid gen refreshes.
That we see is games taking a hit, some more then others. Even first party games do have resolution and/or framerate disadvantages against newer hardware (Pro/One X).

It's the same with the PC, my 7950 is still as fast as it was in 2012, backthen it teared through everything at max probably, different thing now, the thing did 1440p even, today maybe 1080p. The GPU is still as fast though :)

Seeing some crazy longevity out of GPUs now thanks to requirements being driven by feature set parity more than actual performance. It's the VRAM capacity that'll make your card truly obsolescent these days more than the actual GPU, and that'll be mitigated by the focus on I/O that fairly recent PCs already have the capacity for. But it would be ridiculous for a person to have an 8 year old GPU but be using a current 8+ core processor and NVME SSDs........

Even with recent 4 GB graphics cards like the 5500XT, it's safe to say they'll have a good bit of life if paired with fast storage thanks to the Xbox Series S. Funny enough, MS actually just broadened the future serviceable PC gaming market by making Lockhart a reality.

Will you be putting them through the paces on a PC with some sort of benchmarking software? Do keep us informed on how well they work. I had been thinking of trying something similar if for nothing more than being curious.

Sure here are a few benchmarks I ran using separate Peak and Real profiles. The faster speeds are from my internal Crucial P1 NVMe. The slower numbers are for the external Crucial P5 NVMe via the USB 3.1 adapter. The P1 have lower specs than the P5 but the internal interface is faster than the USB adapter. Not sure why the USB adapter isn't reaching its rated throughput which is 10Gbps considering the P5 NVMe is rated 3500/3000 W/R. I think it's because my computer is only USB 3.0 vs 3.1

peak.JPG real.JPG Ipeak.JPG Ireal.JPG

@Sycologist I've seen so many conflicting performance numbers in the Amazon reviews. One said it wasn't 10G, other said it was. I looked at 4 other similar adapters from other brands and the review situation was the same. All over the map. Its so impossible to get a solid idea of actual performance.

@Sycologist I've seen so many conflicting performance numbers in the Amazon reviews. One said it wasn't 10G, other said it was. I looked at 4 other similar adapters from other brands and the review situation was the same. All over the map. Its so impossible to get a solid idea of actual performance.

Yes it's very different. I think it's because only the USB 3.1 version is rated up to 10Gbps. Also some of those reviews are probably based on tests using USB 3.0 ports even if the adapter is USB 3.1.

Seeing some crazy longevity out of GPUs now thanks to requirements being driven by feature set parity more than actual performance. It's the VRAM capacity that'll make your card truly obsolescent these days more than the actual GPU, and that'll be mitigated by the focus on I/O that fairly recent PCs already have the capacity for. But it would be ridiculous for a person to have an 8 year old GPU but be using a current 8+ core processor and NVME SSDs........

Even with recent 4 GB graphics cards like the 5500XT, it's safe to say they'll have a good bit of life if paired with fast storage thanks to the Xbox Series S. Funny enough, MS actually just broadened the future serviceable PC gaming market by making Lockhart a reality.

Depends, if i aim for equal-to-console settings/resolution, even the 7870 2gb mostly comes along very well.
I'm not using that system or any of those 8 year old components as my main setup, i just like to compare and test games on older hardware. I have done this for many years lol :p
Even consoles can be fun, comparing them side by side, done that alot with the 6th gens.

Yes it's very different. I think it's because only the USB 3.1 version is rated up to 10Gbps. Also some of those reviews are probably based on tests using USB 3.0 ports even if the adapter is USB 3.1.

Sounds like replacing the XB1X internal drive might provide for more consistent performance. That's what I'm considering ATM. Not even messing with a M2 & getting a SATA SSD so I don't have to worry about the adapter. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thinking of sticking with the cheapest 1TB SATA III that I can find, which looks like $80 on Amazon?

Tommy McClain

Depends, if i aim for equal-to-console settings/resolution, even the 7870 2gb mostly comes along very well.
I'm not using that system or any of those 8 year old components as my main setup, i just like to compare and test games on older hardware. I have done this for many years lol :p
Even consoles can be fun, comparing them side by side, done that alot with the 6th gens.

Had an R9 270 2 GB (basically same as 7870) from late 2014 to late 2017. Never felt like I was getting an inferior-to-console experience with it like ever. PUBG was the only problematic game IMHO but you know.....it's PUBG......

Sounds like replacing the XB1X internal drive might provide for more consistent performance. That's what I'm considering ATM. Not even messing with a M2 & getting a SATA SSD so I don't have to worry about the adapter. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thinking of sticking with the cheapest 1TB SATA III that I can find, which looks like $80 on Amazon?

Tommy McClain

Replacing the internal drive with a SSD definitely is an option if you don't mind opening up the console. For me it makes more sense to use external since I'm going to be using the drive with Series X in the near future. It would be nice if Series X uses USB C 3.2 which supports 40Gbps.

I already have one 4TB external USB hard drive with all my XB1/360/OG games on it. I use it to shuttle from the XB1X to XB1S instead of moving games over the network. The XB1S will get replaced by the XB1X when I get my XBSX. So the point for the internal SSD is to make the XB1X speeds slightly bearable when I move games to the internal drive.

Tommy McClain

Back