Nvidia Ampere Discussion [2020-05-14]

It will be interesting to see if the reviews test also systems with huge CPU coolers.
One of my systems is a 7820X with the massive NH-D15.
The cooler would block half of the 3080/90 rear fan, with a couple of mm clearance.
This system is ruled out, unless the card would be put in a x8 slot, which is no good either.
My other system is based on the 3700x with stock cooler and there the situation looks much better.

nhd15_rtx30808lk6k.png

A lot of published tests use "open air" rigs where thermals are not representative of gamers' case setups. Gamers don't game for the duration of your typical benchmark, they game for much longer. The card clock specifications are an attempt to "guarantee" user experience because of the silicon lottery and the variation in case cooling that will be found across gamers' systems.
Some of the more mindful tests allow for some amount of pre-heating. But yeah, not every test is done inside a case.

I would guess, they'd have that third slot there in order to leave some breathing space for a 2-slot card, so a 3080 would probable work, a 3090 could get problematic.

In a similar line of thought: A 3090 features NVLink for two cards. If your PCIe slots are suboptimally spaced, that could also create thermal pressure.

That RTX 3090 is one BIG card!
index.php

If I got this and I still had my Antec case, that would be blowing hot air right over my HDD cage at the bottom of the case which would then get exhausted out my PSU at the bottom of the case. Ouch, not good. Way to go for early HDD deaths.

Then again it isn't like this is a card I would ever buy, not just because it is out of my budget, but I like smaller cases with controlled airflow and acoustics.

Hopefully one of the AIBs will be making a card (not the 3090 obviously) with a blower style cooler that exhausts air out the back.

Regards,
SB

If I got this and I still had my Antec case, that would be blowing hot air right over my HDD cage at the bottom of the case which would then get exhausted out my PSU at the bottom of the case. Ouch, not good. Way to go for early HDD deaths.
Based on their airflow diagram it should be exhaust out the back and inside up towards top fans, at least in my instance.
Definitely thinking about the FE 3090, so looking forward to those reviews.

Based on their airflow diagram it should be exhaust out the back and inside up towards top fans, at least in my instance.
Definitely thinking about the FE 3090, so looking forward to those reviews.

If you look at the fan blades on the rear of the cooler they look like they are designed to be pushing air through the fins towards the bottom of the case.

Regards,
SB

If you look at the fan blades on the rear of the cooler they look like they are designed to be pushing air through the fins towards the bottom of the case.

Regards,
SB
This is a design decision - they pull the air from the cooler instead of pushing it through it so the end fan rotates counter clock wise. It is said that this produces less noise than the other option of putting the fan where it usually is/was and pushing the air through the grills instead. Which is basically the main idea of such fan placement on the FEs.

Back