Xbox Series S [XBSS] [Release November 10 2020]

What's "4K textures"? Do you mean the marketing term or the standard definition of a texture that is 4096*4096 pixels big? AFAIK those are pretty rare.
"4k" textures are the textures that got added to the One X games for the purpose of those games being run at 4k that are not present in the One S versions. Install sizes on One X are substantially larger than install sizes on One S of games that have a 4k resolution mode because they're using larger textures. The exact texture resolution is irrelevant.

The XSS will be, at least generally, using lower resolution textures than the XSX because its resolution target is lower. The XSX's storage and ram configuration is based around the expected memory requirements for native 4k output, and the same is true of the XSS and 1440/1080p. The One X was not designed as a 1440/1080p box, it was designed as a 4k box. There shouldn't be any expectation that 4k specific optimizations would carry over to a console that isn't targeting 4k.

"4k" textures are the textures that got added to the One X games for the purpose of those games being run at 4k that are not present in the One S versions. Install sizes on One X are substantially larger than install sizes on One S of games that have a 4k resolution mode because they're using larger textures. The exact texture resolution is irrelevant.

The XSS will be, at least generally, using lower resolution textures than the XSX because its resolution target is lower. The XSX's storage and ram configuration is based around the expected memory requirements for native 4k output, and the same is true of the XSS and 1440/1080p. The One X was not designed as a 1440/1080p box, it was designed as a 4k box. There shouldn't be any expectation that 4k specific optimizations would carry over to a console that isn't targeting 4k.

And this only further proves my previous assertion that the SeriesS won't run Xbox One X ports. It'll run XBone ports and if there are any gains to bee seen it'll be on framerate and dynamic resolution where applicable.
The latest DF video that talks about the SeriesS' announcement also makes the same assertion.

And this only further proves my previous assertion that the SeriesS won't run Xbox One X ports. It'll run XBone ports and if there are any gains to bee seen it'll be on framerate and dynamic resolution where applicable.
The latest DF video that talks about the SeriesS' announcement also makes the same assertion.

without a recompile I don't see any possible way that they can get it to work.

Well there it is:

Xbox Series S Won’t Apply Xbox One X Enhancements, Microsoft Confirms
https://www.gamespew.com/2020/09/xb...y-xbox-one-x-enhancements-microsoft-confirms/

“Xbox Series S was designed to be the most affordable next generation console and play next generation games at 1440P at 60fps. To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer’s original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR.”

And Kudos to them announcing pre-order and release dates and not doing some lottery to be deemed if you're worthy to preorder...

Now I hope I didn't just jinx it, where they'll turn around and make some boneheaded change before hand.

What a great little machine. It's perfect for it's intended audience and a great delivery system for GamePass. $25 per month to have access to all MS 1st party + more is actually a pretty phenomenal deal.

My take on all the minor controversies:

1. People that have XOX should get the XSX. I assume they want 4k or they wouldn't have an XOX in the first place.
2. Bandwidth issues are non-issues. For the render target and given the OS allocation, it'll be fine.
3. Only digital? That's what you get. I have about 8 discs for my XO purchased in 2013-2014 and then I went all digital. Too convenient. I imagine many consumers are in the same boat.

Last edited:
4k is 2.25x the resolution of 1440p. I'm surprised they need >3x the GPU throughput to achieve it on the Series X.

For that reason alone I'm dubious that the S will be outputting an equivalent experience to the X with the only difference being resolution scaled down from 4k to 1440p.

I would agree that I think 1440p is optimistic. I think we'll see a fair amount of games rendered at 1080p. I'm still really curious about the hardware scaler, though. And if X has one also. Surely every game on X isn't rendered at native resolution.

4k is 2.25x the resolution of 1440p. I'm surprised they need >3x the GPU throughput to achieve it on the Series X.

For that reason alone I'm dubious that the S will be outputting an equivalent experience to the X with the only difference being resolution scaled down from 4k to 1440p.
It would appear that it’s not linear the power needed to Get to 4K. At some point it becomes 3X power to obtain 4x resolution. You can check out the Benches for 2080ti and 3080 and they follow this trend still.

It would appear that it’s not linear the power needed to Get to 4K. At some point it becomes 3X power to obtain 4x resolution. You can check out the Benches for 2080ti and 3080 and they follow this trend still.

Did you mean that the other way around? I.e. 4x power to obtain 3x resolution?

As that's what we're essentially seeing here. I.e. 3x power (and 2.5x bandwidth) to obtain 2.25x the resolution (assuming we believe MS claims about 1440p).

I'm not sure that's reflected in the PC space taking the 1660 Ti and 2080Ti as examples (same architecture). The 1660 Ti is much closer to the 2080 Ti spec wise than the S is to the X, yet it can't match the 2080 Ti's 4k performance at 1440p from the limited samples I've seen. 1080p though is no problem.

Back