All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2020 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a first time PS consumer with the PS4, FF7 never grabbed me like it did with people who have been around since PS1/2 days. I played the demo but still didn't think that it was my thing. TLOU2 and GoT though, damn yeah those were the type of games I was looking for.

I also didn’t like the remake at all, and I’m an old timer. Stopped playing it after that mess that was the slums level and never got into it again.

What part of "We shipped and digitally sold over five million copies worldwide", are you struggling with?

It means that they sold shipped copies and sold digital copies and both accumulated to 5M copies sold.

With the underlined part!

We shipped and digitally sold over five million copies worldwide, which has made #FF7R the highest selling digital release on the PlayStation platform in #SquareEnix history

As far as I know shipped games are not sold games, and besides shipped physical games have nothing to do with digital sales.

There is a conclusion after the "which" based on the previous data, but half of what is there has nothing to do with the conclusion! Unless you do ship digital games!

If you accept that phrase you must also accept the one bellow as normal.

"We sold and rented over two million cars, which made our Megane the highest rented car".

But what do sales have to do with rentals and how did they helped rentals? Why even mention sales?

Nintendo is now Japan’s richest company
August 28, 2020
As reported by Risk Masters, and translated by GoNintendo, the Japanese console manufacturer was listed to have 890.4 billion yen (approx. 8.3 billion USD) in cash, making it the richest company in Japan.
It is worth noting that this report focuses on net cash, which as explained by ResetEra user ‘Shoichi’ “means it includes any debts/liabilities in calculation,” which according to them is “likely why Sony isn’t on that list”. For the uninitiated, “NetCash = cash and deposits-(short-term debt + long-term debt + corporate bonds + long-term debt repayable within one year + corporate bonds redeemable within one year + discount bill).”

In terms of total assets, Sony is worth ¥23.039 trillion while Nintendo lags far behind with ‘only’ ¥1.934 trillion in assets. Of course, Sony has a much more diversified portfolio of products and services when compared to Nintendo. Still, it is undeniably impressive that in such a tumultuous year as this, Nintendo has managed to reign supreme above all other Japanese companies when it comes to net cash.
https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/mustafa-mahmoud/nintendo-is-now-japans-richest-company/

Nintendo is now Japan’s richest company
August 28, 2020

This is not a good metric to be at the top off, as a company you never want to be sitting on a big pile of cash in one country, it's vulnerable to exchange fluctuations and to local economy. Nintendo need to be investing this or acquiring non-liquid assets in areas unrelated to Japan's economy.

Why, Nintendo, why!?!?! :no: Unless.. they're thinking of buying something, or someone... :runaway:

This is not a good metric to be at the top off, as a company you never want to be sitting on a big pile of cash in one country, it's vulnerable to exchange fluctuations and to local economy. Nintendo need to be investing this or acquiring non-liquid assets in areas unrelated to Japan's economy.

Why, Nintendo, why!?!?! :no: Unless.. they're thinking of buying something, or someone... :runaway:

I’m up for sale for just 1% of their cash reserve. I think it’s a great deal. Bargain.

Ripped from Era, by ggx2ac

Source: https://www.bloomberg.co.jp/news/articles/2020-09-09/QGD7ZCT0AFC401

Now updated with English version of article:
1200x800.jpg

Nintendo Boosts Switch Production by Another 20%
Nintendo Co. has asked its assembly partners to increase production of its Switch gaming console again, raising its goal to as much as 30 million units for this fiscal year, according to people familiar with its strategy.
favicon-black-63fe5249d3.png
www.bloomberg.com

Again this is for the fiscal year ending March 2021 which is the current fiscal year:
Nintendo Co. has asked its assembly partners to increase production of its Switch gaming console again, raising its goal to as much as 30 million units for this fiscal year, according to people familiar with its strategy.

At the beginning of August the last planned increase in production was at 25M units:
It had raised production orders to 25 million units in early August, but that has proven insufficient and assemblers are now operating factories at 120%, the people said, asking to remain anonymous because the targets are private.

Additional information:
The introduction of a more affordable Switch Lite variant in late 2019 helped broaden the machine’s potential audience and Nintendo is making preparations for an upgraded Switch model and a beefed-up games lineup for 2021, Bloomberg News has reported. Several outside game developers, speaking anonymously as the issue is private, said that Nintendo has asked them to make their games 4K-ready, suggesting a resolution upgrade is on its way.

Yeesh, at 30 million a year they would pass the PS4's current numbers in 2 years. If they can keep it up, they could challenge DS and PS2 numbers in about 3 years.

I'm curious when sales for the Switch will peak as interest in it appears to still be growing.

Regards,
SB

Yeesh, at 30 million a year they would pass the PS4's current numbers in 2 years. If they can keep it up, they could challenge DS and PS2 numbers in about 3 years.

I'm curious when sales for the Switch will peak as interest in it appears to still be growing.

Regards,
SB

Do you intend to count the upcoming Switch 4K sales in with the existing Switch models? I can certainly see it hitting PS2 numbers if you do.

Regards,
SB

There's no reason this won't surpass 200m with all the variations they'll likely end up with. They no longer sell a DS/proper handheld, so they are selling to the home and the portable market. Whilst it's great that you can take it with you, in families you might find they buy 2 or more Switches. Also, I can see a Switch mini - a proper pocket sized version.

Nintendo did another Wii and exploited a gaping hole in the market.

Do you intend to count the upcoming Switch 4K sales in with the existing Switch models? I can certainly see it hitting PS2 numbers if you do.

Sure, it's similar to counting PS4-P sales as part of PS4 sales. Assuming, of course, that it's still basically a Nintendo Switch.

Regards,
SB

I assume for the votes for full fat PS5 over PS5DE reflects the number of people who have a PS4 disc collection or wish to use PS5 as their media player. It'll be interested to watch the ratio of actual Series X vs Series S sales over time. It's doubtful Microsoft will give numbers but they may indicate how the consoles are selling relative to each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume for the votes for full fat PS5 over PS5DE reflects the number of people who have a PS4 disc collection or wish to use PS5 as their media player. It'll be interested to watch the ratio of actual Series X vs Series S sales over time. It's doubtful Microsoft will give numbers but they may indicate how the consoles are selling relative to each other.

Yup. I also believe the next-generation of gaming isn't going to change that much. I'm starting to see more and more entrenched fans on both sides sticking to their current ecosystem / console brand of choice.

Yup. I also believe the next-generation of gaming isn't going to change that much. I'm starting to see more and more entrenched fans on both sides sticking to their current ecosystem / console brand of choice.

It may be less they are entrenched and more that no one has angered the "independent" fan base that is fine with bouncing back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back