Prince of Persia: Sands of Time Remake

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13524

So Ubisoft took the critically acclaimed PS2 / Xbox game and revamped its graphics to look like erm.. a PS360 game..?

But why?

Yeah, about that ... I had played the original on the Xbox 360 so during the beginning of the trailer I was thinking "Oh, yeah, I suppose that's what it looked like when I played it" only to find out that's their Remake Graphics on the Xbox One / PS4 systems.

Slight correction, I had played Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands on the X360 and from my memory it didn't look far off from this Remake.

The X360's launch trailer and some gameplay:

Anvil engine aren't designed with time reversal. Source engine would have been better for this type of thing. Anvil is likely too optimized for open world.

This should not have been greenlit. If a studio shows these graphics at their vertical slice during pre-production, you either send them back do the drawing board, give another studio a chance, or you cancel the project outright. This does more damage to the brand than whatever sales it will manage would recoup. Shit, I'm not even sure it won't simply flop altogether.

Geez, the comparison with the PS3 version (not even PC's!) of Forgotten Sands makes it even more painful.

So this is apparently coming from Ubisoft Pune. I guess this was an experiment from Ubisoft HQ to see what the studio could do, since they're a former studio from Gameloft (famous for making quick off-brand games for smartphones) that got acquired 12 years ago.
Since then, this studio had only been working on QA for other games and just dance titles. It's definitely not the pedigree we'd expect for picking up an otherwise strong franchise, but it reportedly has over 750 employees!

I do agree that opportunities need to be given to new teams seeking ambitious projects, but that doesn't justify how something like this trailer gets greenlit.
It's not just bad for Ubisoft Pune, it's bad for Ubisoft and it weakens the value of the Prince of Persia franchise.

I also don't get how they brag about doing motion capture and implementing the latest Assassin's Creed engine for the game, just for everything to look so.. indie-ish.

So this is apparently coming from Ubisoft Pune. I guess this was an experiment from Ubisoft HQ to see what the studio could do, since they're a former studio from Gameloft.

Great that they took the time to make the experiment, I expect no less from a huge publisher. But the sight of this thing should never have left Ubi's office. It gives second-hand embarrassement.

Indefinitely delayed...

Hello Prince of Persia fans!

Since announcing Prince of Persia: The Samds of Time Remake in September, we saw as outpouring of feedback from you on this beloeved franchise. It is your passion and support that is driving our development teams to make the best game possible. With that said, we have made the decision to shift the release for Prince of Persia: the Sames of Time Remake to a later date. This extra development time will enable our teams to deliver a remake that feels fresh while remaining faithful to the original.

We understand the update might come as a surprise and we will continue to keep you posted on the progress of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake. In the meantime, we want to thank you all for your ongoing support.

Back