How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Yeah, I think it's probably going to be more expensive than XSX. Sony doesn't have the luxury of Microsoft reusing dies for Azure Services, which might explain how Microsoft can achieve these price points. Plus even the DualSense controller might be more expensive to manufacture than the DS4 with all that new tech. Or they are still undecided on price and trying to see where they can cost more to match XSX price.

LMAO there is no goddamn way Azure is subsidising anything, MS would rather the entire devices division catch fire than risk Cloud Compute by larding it up with leftover XBSX units. I think folks on here have gotten far too excited by the idea that Azure will be stuffed full of XBSX boards, I suspect when we get teardowns of the XBSS we will see that the place XBSX APU rejects go to die is XBSS. To the extent that there will be XBSX boards in Azure data centres it will be for xCloud. For GPU compute and other loads where the XBSX APU might offer advantage the same thing can be achieved with dedicated server hardware that is more suited to the massive rack farms they have and will be thrown in the bin in 2 years anyway. However suitable you think XBSX is for those workloads today MS is already planning for the next two server refreshes so why the hell would they stick a fixed platform in there?

They've already shown the internals of the Series S, in enough detail that people have managed to figure out the die size. And a Series X APU, no matter how many CUs you disable, isn't 190mm^2.
The hazards of commenting before getting through the XBSS tech thread.

I was wrong on the APU, I still hold that the use of these APUs outside of xCloud support will be next to non-existent, it's not a platform that scales over time in the way you want for a data centre. AMD and Intel both have significant improvements to their platforms coming down the line in the next 12 months so both of these APUs will be obsolescent in the data centre for general workloads very quickly.

LMAO there is no goddamn way Azure is subsidising anything, MS would rather the entire devices division catch fire than risk Cloud Compute by larding it up with leftover XBSX units. I think folks on here have gotten far too excited by the idea that Azure will be stuffed full of XBSX boards, I suspect when we get teardowns of the XBSS we will see that the place XBSX APU rejects go to die is XBSS. To the extent that there will be XBSX boards in Azure data centres it will be for xCloud. For GPU compute and other loads where the XBSX APU might offer advantage the same thing can be achieved with dedicated server hardware that is more suited to the massive rack farms they have and will be thrown in the bin in 2 years anyway. However suitable you think XBSX is for those workloads today MS is already planning for the next two server refreshes so why the hell would they stick a fixed platform in there?
Bundled discounts is something you can't know unfortunately. MS currently spends 1B in datacenter builds each month and they've gone with Epyc processors for that. You add in 2 SoCs and anything else for their surface line, you can extend discounts even if you don't hit huge bulk orders. And yes, there is still the xcloud factor, and it won't be refreshing xcloud hardware until the generation is over. It doesn't make sense to since they'll need it to provide the service. May take them 7 years to get enough chips everywhere to provide xcloud and only the Anaconda chips are being used for Xcloud. We won't see any LH chips up there. They can't serve 4 instances of xbox games. Processing power wise, lots of GPU power on tap for ML instances. I think they will be very good for cheap rental.

edit: as per below, errm sorry @goonergaz. Sadly I just ame back into this thread later thinking there was PS5 news. I didn't even realize I was responding to a PS5 thread. Just woke up and hit refresh.

Last edited:
Now that they're included in Game Pass, you may want to check out the Plants vs Zombies titles. I dont know if they were ever Gold titles, but they're not bad despite being Shooters style. They also have the Sims 4 which I could see the kids might enjoy, as my niece and nephew liked it enough to buy last year.
I loved the Plant vs Zombies mobile games, that got ported/released on consoles. I never tried the shooters, I just felt that I did not really need another shooter :D

The hazards of commenting before getting through the XBSS tech thread.

I was wrong on the APU, I still hold that the use of these APUs outside of xCloud support will be next to non-existent, it's not a platform that scales over time in the way you want for a data centre. AMD and Intel both have significant improvements to their platforms coming down the line in the next 12 months so both of these APUs will be obsolescent in the data centre for general workloads very quickly.
They've already said it will be put to other uses, so it's not just armchair conjecture.

I can give you a simple example off top of my head where the low latency, xcloud xsx could be used.
Remote apps/desktop which is something new their pushing. It's one of the ways they intend to try to compete with chrome os most probably.
Could run a few virtualised sessions on a single xsx I suspect.

Anyway, it's not all about compute in the cloud, they will have xsx blades, so why let them go unused?
This was planned from the start, it's one of the reasons why they had input from the azure team.
It's not about making use of defective dies, it's about maximising the ROI of the development of xsx.

No serious question. CELL was used in a IBM supercomputer. The CELL architecture was codeveloped with IBM for use in supercomputing
Ok, cool wasn't sure.

I start with this base:
  • I except when they say they had input from azure
  • That XSX cloud will be a thing
  • Except when they say they have other uses for them
  • Know of their remote app/desktop rollout as an example use case
  • XSX has decent ballance of processor and compute for mixed load tasks
  • Given that they will be idle otherwise when not serving up games
  • Not excotic uarch
  • Way to get higher ROI
The cell play wasn't a bad idea even if it didn't work out.

Guess there's 2 questions (not specifically to you)
  1. Do you think there was any plan to use them for other work loads
  2. Regardless, doubt the sucess of it

For those in Europe, remember that the US price doesn't include sales tax, which is as high as 10% in many states but generally average around 8% across the country.

The Euro prices already include VAT, don't they?

’Microsoft will also sell the PS5 as a standalone. They would not reveal the price, but they did confirm it would be less than whatever Sony ends up charging.’

Going to get a Microsoft PlayStation 5 from Microsoft just because. Cheaper so, together with gamepass a nice option. Il also get a hand full of sony games for the entire generation :)

If you don't buy your Xbox, then you can try to win one from Taco Bell. Every generation they team up for this...

Xbox and Taco Bell Are Giving Fans the Chance to Win an Xbox Series X Before They Can Buy It
It’s that time! For the fourth year in a row, Xbox and Taco Bell are teaming up to offer fans a spectacular giveaway. However, this year is extra special as Xbox and Taco Bell fans in the United States will have the exclusive opportunity to win our fastest, most powerful and compatible console ever – the Xbox Series X – before it launches on November 10.

Beginning September 24, fans who purchase any medium or large drink via the Taco Bell app or in-person will receive a code on the cup for a chance to win a new Xbox Series X bundle. You can play up to three times per day – and did we mention there will be a winner every 15 minutes throughout the promotion?

The Xbox Series X bundle contains an Xbox Series X console, a new Xbox Wireless Controller and a six-month membership to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate includes all the benefits of Xbox Live Gold and access to over 100 high-quality games on console and PC. Play new Xbox Game Studios titles such as Halo Infinite (coming 2021) the same day they release and enjoy exclusive member discounts and free Perks. Additionally, starting September 15, Ultimate members in 22 markets across North America, Europe and in South Korea will be able to play more than 100 games from the cloud on their Android phones and tablets.

To get your hands on a free taco and gain even earlier access to win an Xbox Series X bundle, make sure you sign up for Taco Bell’s all-new rewards program. All you need to do is download the Taco Bell app and join the Taco Bell Rewards Beta program by September 13. Those that have opted-in to receive emails will be able to register and gain exclusive access to be included in daily drawings from September 15 to September 21.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/10/xbox-and-taco-bell-win-xbox-series-x/

Too bad it's after the pre-order date. I've tried & lost every time before. But since I'm pre-ordering for the first time I have a feeling I might win one. LOL

Tommy McClain

What is the actual loading time of PS5?
PS5 is going to be faster. It's not going to be that much faster.

I really don't know whether that is a fair assessment. The power difference between S and DE PS5 is huge, yet you are pricing them with a delta of $50, which is the same as the one between X and Disc PS5, even though the difference between those two is minimal by comparison?

I don't think Sony are looking at the relative power of the consoles and making RRP decisions based on that, I think Sony are looking at securing another generation as quickly as possible, locking as many people into a larger PlayStation library of games. And I think they are willing to take an upfront loss to do this.

EDIT: And by 'power' I mean the PS5 has the same amount of rather expensive RAM as the X, an expensive albeit slightly smaller SSD, and of course the much bigger APU than the S. And let's not forget this unknown cooling solution! It just doesn't add up how all of that is $50 away from the S and the X at the same time, considering the only difference in the PS5 is the disc drive?
So PS5 has a faster but smaller SSD. Some of PS5s GDDR6 is faster than some of Series X and some is slower. The CPU is slower. the GPU has less teraflops. I know the GPU comparison is more complicated but the average person isn't going to understand Mark Cerny's "a rising tide raised all boats" metaphors! Sony can't put that on the box! :LOL:

Unless they don't care and I'm wrong, in which case I'll humbly eat my hat.
I think they care, but I think they care more about securing another dominant generation and are willing to spend for it. Sony has been on fire in terms of PlayStation profits lately. I think they are seriously considering investing in reducing the RRP to make this a no brainer decision for most.

Back