Epic Sues Apple and Google due to Fortnite getting pulled [2020-08-13, 2021-05-03]

Was Fortnite a surprise hit or did they really expect the kind of success it would have?

It must have been the former, or else they could have used their clout back then, though I think Apple would have said "fine, go elsewhere."

From what I recall, It was a flop when it first released exclusively to PCs. It wasn't until much later when they added the massive online PvP mode. That's when it really took off.

Save the world had over 1m players in the first month. Not sure that qualifies as a flop. I suspect a lot of games would be thrilled with that.

Battle Royale had 10 million within 2 weeks and 125m by the time the switch version launched.

Save the world had over 1m players in the first month. Not sure that qualifies as a flop. I suspect a lot of games would be thrilled with that.

Battle Royale had 10 million within 2 weeks and 125m by the time the switch version launched.

Oh. Yeah. I wouldn't say that's a flop either. I suppose success is all relative. This game didn't show up on my radar screen again (after being confirmed as PC exclusive) until it was doing the millions and millions of Battle Royale players. But everything I had heard was it wasn't successful until BR mode.

Tim Sweeney:
fetchimage.png

Tim Sweeney:

You seem to really dislike tim sweeney and epic. It would be helpful if you could give concrete examples how he/epic is evil person/company. I'm not aware of anything making epic any worse or better than what apple/microsoft or any other big company I follow is. Every company is somewhat evil as their mandate typically is to make money for the owners. Also almost every company has gone too far at some point and gotten shit and then realized mistake in their ways. Even some of the charities seem to be that way even though on the surface things might appear otherwise.

edit. Today epic looks like great company to me. Making unreal into open source, allowing royalty free usage until 1M$ revenue is reached(per title). These seem like friendly policies.

You seem to really dislike tim sweeney and epic. It would be helpful if you could give concrete examples how he/epic is evil person/company. I'm not aware of anything making epic any worse or better than what apple/microsoft or any other big company I follow is. Every company is somewhat evil as their mandate typically is to make money for the owners. Also almost every company has gone too far at some point and gotten shit and then realized mistake in their ways. Even some of the charities seem to be that way even though on the surface things might appear otherwise.

edit. Today epic looks like great company to me. Making unreal into open source, allowing royalty free usage until 1M$ revenue is reached(per title). These seem like friendly policies.

Yeah, why all the hate towards Sweeny?

And why not separate the messenger from the message and discuss that there are some valid points (in my opinion).

I believe he wants all these stores to charge a more reasonable rate, rather than 30%.
That's not what Epic is asking for in their lawsuit against Apple. They want the Epic Game Store to be freely available on iOS to allow them to totally bypass the 30%.
Sweeney's constant Twitter tirades as shown above clearly displays Trump level of lunacy/idiocy & full of shitness.

Last edited:
That's not what Epic is asking for in their lawsuit against Apple. They want the Epic Game Store to be freely available on iOS to allow them to totally bypass the 30%.
Sweeney's constant Twitter tirades as shown above clearly display Trump level of lunacy/idiocy & full of shitness.
Then why don't they make their epic game store free for all publishers?

Four days ago Hoeg Law posted this 80min long video on youtube, where they ran through Apples entire lawsuit vs. Epic. They have followed this drama, so if you want literally hours of legal analysis of the whole thing, you can have it. This is the latest and hopefully last.

The 80min video is doable, if you are truly interested in the case. And you can stomach some nerdy lawyer humour.
I’d say that for someone not from the USA, it helps with legal system context.

It boils down Apples lawsuit pretty well though:
1. Apple wants the money Epic kept for themselves that they were contractually obliged to share with Apple.
2. Apple wants Epic to be fined for willfully and destructively breaching their running contract.

Epic can get out of this only if the contract was ruled illegal in the first place - in effect the judge would need to rule that "walled garden" agreements are an illegal business practise at its core. (With obvious dominoe effects throughout a number of businesses.)

I still feel that we are seeing the tip of an ice-berg here and that Tencent has plans to gain from this no matter what. But that will only be revealed with time if so. Then again, maybe Tim Sweeney just doesn’t care about Epics customers at all, putting players and developers alike in the line of fire simply for the sake of even greater profits fishing for whales. One would almost hope that there’s a Chinese plan of cell phone OS world domination and monitoring behind it all, because the alternative explanation is even more depressing.

Last edited:
I think any contract or eula that has a "we reserve the right to change this agreement" should be illegal
Yeah, it's bizarre, isn't it.
The fact that it IS legal is a testament to the intractability of justitia to the general public. So I won't pretend that I know how this will play out in court, I need experts to give some guidance as to that.

If the experts knew how it would play out, it would never make it to court, but no one knows what a jury might do.

I think any contract or eula that has a "we reserve the right to change this agreement" should be illegal

But this is not going to help much. They'll just make the contract valid only for like a month, and require the users to renew it every month. If you don't agree with the new monthly contract, you can't use the service/software anymore.
It's not going to be much different than what's we have now.

Back