Is there any reason to design a Playstation game like this?

stranno

Newcomer
8HwoClO.gif

The game is Ganbare Goemon - Uchuu Kaizoku Akogingu, the first Goemon game on Playstation and pretty much a carbon copy of Goemon 2/3 for Super Nintendo.

For some reason the devs rendered the entire game using quads as primitives, instead of triangles for the background. It has a crazy amount of jittering and texture wrapping. Wouldn't a triangles based backgrounds + tessellation have reduced these problems?

The PS1 has hardware support for quads. I bet the devs were handed textures that were designed for rectangular sprites on the SNES. So, they did the most straightforward port possible.
Looks like the "3D" house is composed of billboards. It would look a lot more solid if it was fully modeled in 3D. But, that's a lot of work when you already have everything in your game working "fine" as 100% 2D sprites.

Not only would the art transfer easier, you need half as many quads as you would triangles.

8HwoClO.gif

The game is Ganbare Goemon - Uchuu Kaizoku Akogingu, the first Goemon game on Playstation and pretty much a carbon copy of Goemon 2/3 for Super Nintendo.

For some reason the devs rendered the entire game using quads as primitives, instead of triangles for the background. It has a crazy amount of jittering and texture wrapping. Wouldn't a triangles based backgrounds + tessellation have reduced these problems?

I don't see why tris would do any better than quads with these artifacts. Dinamic tesselation could in fact help, but that is not restricted to tris. One can tessellate quads too.

And with the very low depth differences of those scenes, I wonder if there is any room for any tess at all there....

Back