Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Just to clear up potential confusion: the flash controller is the chip that is directly soldered in contact with the flash chips. That MS picked this controller means that they can right now, with no other changes, make a console with 2TB storage if they want by just putting in more chips. Also, assuming they are using the same controller for the add-in storage, they can also make a storage chip with up to 2TB.

Them using this controller in no way limits the total amount of storage that can be attached to the console. And if they later move on to controllers with more maximum capacity, they can make base consoles/expansion sticks with more capacity.

Very much so. As the internal drive isn't user replaceable, it doesn't matter to the user how that is configured or implemented. If they require more capacity in the future, MS can make those modifications. They don't even need to continue using the current SSD controller.

WRT the external storage slot, the user is free to use whatever compatible memory cartridge they purchase. This could be 1 TB, 2 TB or in the future any other capacity that gets made into the compatible form factor.

The plus for the Xbox style is that anything that can be plugged into the port will just plain work. The plus for the PS5 style is that end-users will very likely be paying a substantially less for the storage.

It's a little more complex than that. At least for the near future, the PS5 will require some exotic NVME (read: very expensive) drives in order to meet its speed requirements. The price of those will drop over time, but if the PC space is anything to go by, even 5 years from now, NVME drives capable of 7+ GB/s performance are likely still going to be at a relatively high premium.

Users buying those drives for PS5 will increase the market which could potentially drive down prices slightly, but PS5 users buying those drives are likely to be a drop in the bucket compared to traditional users of those drives.

The MS drive on the other hand is landing solidly in budget NVME territory. While even budget NVME carries a bit of a premium, it's nothing close to the premium of a 4, 5, or 7+ GB/s class NVME drive. On top of that it's using one of the cheapest (if not the cheapest) NVME SSD controllers you can use.

Of course, what isn't known is how much MS will charge to license a manufacturer to make those drives. How much of a premium do MS want and how much of a premium does the SSD maker want. If MS gets greedy this could get pretty spendy, if not they could be only marginally higher than comparable consumer NVME drives.

There is also a burden on MS to ensure that any certified NVME drives meets strict minimum performance and endurance benchmarks. It wouldn't be good if the user experience was degraded when using a certified drive. That could also drive up the cost even without them being overly greedy.

Even if MS gets greedy there's still a fair chance it'll still be cheaper than 7+ GB/s drives. But if 7+ GB/s drives drops rapidly in price (I can't currently see this happening looking at past NVME drive pricing, but it could happen) then they could end up cheaper.

Regards,
SB

It's a little more complex than that. At least for the near future, the PS5 will require some exotic NVME (read: very expensive) drives in order to meet its speed requirements. The price of those will drop over time, but if the PC space is anything to go by, even 5 years from now, NVME drives capable of 7+ GB/s performance are likely still going to be at a relatively high premium.

The NVMe drives that PS5 can use are not at all exotic, they are just very, very fast :yes:. The NVMe drives that Microsoft are using are almost certainly lower bandwidth so cheaper. How the NVMe market pans out for PS5 owners is anybody's guess.

XSX is priced 650dollars in Sweden..its a big ask. and by far the most expensive console. I bought the xbox One kinext for 540 and the One x 420
with these prices in europe the S will be the dominant console.

XSX is priced 650dollars in Sweden..its a big ask. and by far the most expensive console. I bought the xbox One kinext for 540 and the One x 420
They may come down over time. I don't expect the pricing to stay that high internationally, I'm not sure if there are issues with COVID, or trade agreements that are just messing things up. Brazil and Mexico prices looking extremely high.

They may come down over time. I don't expect the pricing to stay that high internationally, I'm not sure if there are issues with COVID, or trade agreements that are just messing things up. Brazil and Mexico prices looking extremely high.

in India the prices are 680 and 480 in freaking India!! thats like 3 month wages.

in India the prices are 680 and 480 in freaking India!! thats like 3 month wages.
Sony may do better with their supply chain advantages. But honestly, I'm not sure.
My fingers are crossed to see lower price points for Intl' but this could very well be why revealing prices and release dates may have been taking so long. Intl pricing is looking bad.

Sony may do better with their supply chain advantages. But honestly, I'm not sure.
My fingers are crossed to see lower price points for Intl' but this could very well be why revealing prices and release dates may have been taking so long. Intl pricing is looking bad.
I don't know about international pricing but $500 USD was my expected minimum for PS5 and Series X. Honestly, I expected Sony to launch at $499.99 and Microsoft to maybe undercut them a little, because I thought Sony has been touting the "premium console" marketing that they were when PS3 launched. This is all assuming a BOM that's nearly identical for the 2 consoles, and taking into account that Microsoft has deeper reserves for a larger loss per hardware unit. At this point, even if Sony was aiming for something a little lower, like 480 or 450, I think they match the price of Series X. It's the discless PS5 that's the real mystery. International pricing is always different, and not just based on exchange rates.

Does that price include VAT? If it does it's really not far off of US price. 650 vs 500x1.25=625

Does that price include VAT? If it does it's really not far off of US price. 650 vs 500x1.25=625
yes its with VAT and its 150dollars more in a country where the gdp per capita is HALF of that of americans. meaning on average swedes make HALF of what americans make.

yes its with VAT and its 150dollars more in a country where the gdp per capita is HALF of that of americans. meaning on average swedes make HALF of what americans make.
Americans pay $500 plus tax. It will vary by state. It's hard to blame MS for the $125 your government wants from you.

It seems this conversation comes up everytime price is announced in Europe.

Americans pay $500 plus tax. It will vary by state. It's hard to blame MS for the $125 your government wants from you.

i thought 499 was it, thats excluding tax? of course i don't blame MS but at these prices the XSX is not going to be the majority console. their only hope is if ps5 matches the 499.

i thought 499 was it, thats excluding tax? of course i don't blame MS but at these prices the XSX is not going to be the majority console. their only hope is if ps5 matches the 499.

499 is basically close enough to 500 to call it 500 for conversation.

Where I live the sales tax is 8.9% so that would be 543.41 USD if I were to get one. Sales tax varies by state, county, and city in the US. Those bastards in Oregon state have 0% sales tax. Of course, they have higher taxes in other areas to compensate.

This makes direct comparisons to EU prices difficult as the EU has VAT included. Just different philosophy where we get to see how much the government is taking from us at the point of sale (for most consumer goods) versus having to do the calculations to figure out how much the government is taking from us (VAT).

Regards,
SB

Yea. Tax is per state when those prices are put up.
I will have to pay $599 + 13% HST(GST + PST). Gets me to about $676 after tax in CAD.

Last edited:
Looks like Microsoft updated their Optimized For page to cover Series X|S.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/optimized

upload_2020-9-9_21-11-8.png

The Optimized for Xbox Series X|S icon means the developer has done the extra work to take full advantage of the unique capabilities of Xbox Series X|S. In addition, Smart Delivery ensures you are getting the right version of your game no matter which Xbox you're playing on.

Looks like Microsoft updated their Optimized For page to cover Series X|S.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/optimized

View attachment 4572

The Optimized for Xbox Series X|S icon means the developer has done the extra work to take full advantage of the unique capabilities of Xbox Series X|S. In addition, Smart Delivery ensures you are getting the right version of your game no matter which Xbox you're playing on.

Yay! More confirmation that the great big green diamond-like badge is gone! :)

We won guys! LOL

Tommy McClain

I still can't get my brain around the XSS size, again in this picture it looks smaller than '60% smaller than the XSX' - also the unboxing videos make it look bigger (again)...WTH?

At least its not doing the it looks Silver vs Blue diference...

At least its not doing the it looks Silver vs Blue diference...

XSS.jpg

I can't see it's the same size...WTH is wrong with my eyes!?

Back