AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, 6 weeks may seem too much, but will depend on if they manage to launch that day or 1 week later with some avaiability even if its limited. nvidia also posted the countdown on aug 10th, event on sept 1st and no launch/review until sept 17, 24 and october for 3070, right? on the other hand, any chance amd launches the full pack RDNA2 same day? Mean navi 21, navi 22 and navi 23 at the same time?

Sorry about the delayed reactions from the moderator team, we really extended the benefit of the doubt and gave multiple chances for the user to refine their behavior. Unfortunately that hasn't happened.

The user Bondrewd has earned a 2 month temp-ban to rethink how they participate on the forums. If they don't improve their behavior after returning, it will become a permanent ban.

This should pave the way until after the next AMD launches and restore sanity here.

I expect a peek at RDNA2 on the Oct 8th date since it would be an easy bit of hype before the full reveal. Don't expect too much but might give a demo of it with maybe expected performance vs RX5700XT. As for Oct 28th being too late, well they can only launch when they can launch, what are they going to do? Magic the cards into existence a month earlier? Even paper launches need to be somewhat close to the actual product or else it's way worse than not announcing anything. If they did a reveal in Sep and did not have cards out until Nov, it wouldn't really help in the least.

The interesting bit is that they are actually dedicating a whole date to RDNA2 with the date marketed on the same level as Zen3. I was fully expecting them to go on the Zen3 marketing without much talk of RDNA2 until later since Zen 3 would likely to be a much bigger product for AMD than RDNA2 all things considered. Will have to see if they got something worthwhile.

Also Since the Xboxs are launching at the start of Nov, AMD promised to launch Big Navi before consoles, so maybe we will get cards Oct 28 or within the week after.

*snip*
The interesting bit is that they are actually dedicating a whole date to RDNA2 with the date marketed on the same level as Zen3. I was fully expecting them to go on the Zen3 marketing without much talk of RDNA2 until later since Zen 3 would likely to be a much bigger product for AMD than RDNA2 all things considered. Will have to see if they got something worthwhile.

Also Since the Xboxs are launching at the start of Nov, AMD promised to launch Big Navi before consoles, so maybe we will get cards Oct 28 or within the week after.
AMD gets to spread out 4 major announcements with at least 6-7 product releases over the next ~2-3months. AMD will be in the headlines constantly.

That is part of the reason Nvidia spread their GPU availability out as well, while also allowing some time to build a bit more inventory for higher volume markets.
Nvidia's rebuttal to AMD being in the news for 2-3 months straight is whatever slots in between the RTX3070/RTX3080.

I don't mind paper launches. I see no negatives from having the performance info sooner rather than later.
What is the point of slides/charts if no one can buy the product?
And see above, we know Nvidia has something waiting. No reason to allow them time to perfect their response and schedule it a week before launch.

Last edited:
Late for what? Pretty much everyone expected november release. At least that's what 'end of the year' or 'late 2020' means.

For me. There are too many games I want to play that are already out or will be out around the announcement. If this is just an announcement and the release comes later than this , then it will be even worse of a wait for me. Then if its hard to buy a card I may not be able to get one till next year.

I am going to start early and try to get a 3080 from nvidia , hopefully i will have one before SW Squadrons releases

Don't blame "us", it's not my fault if amd is late compared to the competitor they try to beat (and who make a crazy good gaming ampere impression).
There is no "late", it's not a race who gets to release first, both companies have their own schedules which they adhere to. Most of the market doesn't run in buying cards on launch, cards are being bought pretty much the same all over the year (with some seasonality regardless of when new cards have launched)

There is no "late", it's not a race who gets to release first, both companies have their own schedules which they adhere to. Most of the market doesn't run in buying cards on launch, cards are being bought pretty much the same all over the year (with some seasonality regardless of when new cards have launched)

While I agree that not a lot of people buy card at launch, I disagree with "there is no late". The way I see it, Ampere made a big, big impact in the gaming world, even if the cards are not available yet. Each day without a competitor (so possibly rdna 2 based gpu) is a day where techs website and youtuber will talk about nvidia and not about amd.

Honestly, if nVidia and RTG were head to head, I wouldn't mind. But RTG being the contender, for years now, I found that really bad. Expectations are higher since nVidia showed their hand, it will be harder for rtg to make an impact. Imo of course, and I realise it's a subjectif feeling:yep2:

I think 6 weeks difference in the launch dates (assuming actual Sep17 and Oct28 availability) is largely academic. Nvidia has such a mind share advantage that had the roles been reversed everyone would be telling the public to "wait to see what the green team has in store". Both products have missed B2S window but are coming out prior to holiday season. The sales to the population who A) NEED a new $500+ card GPU in the next 6 weeks ans B) Would give AMD cards a fair chance are not worth taking an extra month and a half to Get It Right.

This was no doubt AMDs strategy since the beginning, using rdna2 reviews and news to lead in to the console launches.

Zen3 is the beginning of Oct to clear the way for rdna2 to saturate tech news for a while

AMD is not concerned with whether they can deter buyers from purchasing a 3080 day one, at least insofar as they would rather a juggernaut news cycle with rdna2 headlines for weeks, if not months

If you honestly must have a new graphics card this month then the 3080 is your best bet and it's a well priced card. Don't forget though that it will be replaced soon by one with more vram, this is nvidias MO after all

Cards are launched when they are ready. No point in arguing "it would have been better"... If a thing is not ready, it is not ready. Especially with pandemic ongoing. And 6 weeks are not a year.

Exactly. It's not as if NV and AMD collaborate and decide a timeframe to release cards. They each have their own roadmaps and schedules, which have been disrupted slightly this year due to covid. And 6 weeks is barely anything in the grand scheme of things when you look at the recent graphics family longevity of of ~2 years (refreshes, if any have been the same silicon). People are talking as if NV will sell to the entire market demand in 6 weeks and AMD has missed the boat. Silicon fabrication, production and sales operate on far longer timescales. The important part is they will hit in time for the holiday season. Now will they miss some of the initial pent up demand? Sure, a bit maybe. But part of that market would have bought Nvidia regardless. And if prior discussions and market intelligence are anything to go by, AMD GPUs will be in limited production compared to CPUs for a while anyway.
Sggh, AMD, is it so difficult to give an hint about perf. compared to RTX3080 (or their last best)...They make it so easy for nV and more important, so difficult for me :D

AMD's Tweet - "A new era of leadership performance across computing and graphics is coming. The journey begins on October 8."

Hint enough?

AMD's Tweet - "A new era of leadership performance across computing and graphics is coming. The journey begins on October 8."

Hint enough?

Not really:

AMD-FAD-9.-pcgh.png

I guess for me it boils down to which card will be better in one of the titles i am really looking forward to. Baldur's Gate is not it, i think that's rather easy on the hardware. The other is Cyberpunk which i am probably not alone with.

Not really:

AMD-FAD-9.-pcgh.png

That's typical AMD parlance, so it means nothing in and of itself. They've been doing it for ages, didn't turn that well:

Capture49.jpg
Capture34.jpg

Notice the earler wording - "Roadmap leadership", "Leadership in PC Gaming Market", "Graphics Technology Leadership". And you have to keep in mind all of this was at a time when AMD was at its lowest in competitiveness against Nvidia. What did you expect marketing to say? "Sorry we suck"? You play up what you can with the cards you have. They did overplay their hand with Vega yes.

However post Raja AMD looks to be a different beast, and the wording is markedly different this time - "Leadership Performance". Take it with a grain of salt as with marketing from either IHV of course, but I hope I'm not the only one who noticed this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back