Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Well if they're going to have an event to announce date and pricing, they better have some slick demos of launch games.

With all the doom and gloom about Sony is to expensive vs XSX and what not, I sort of waiting for the ultimate MS fanboy win that Sony is cancelling PS5 :p

If Sony hits the 399 spot and 349 with the Digital (even sweeter but doubtful if they hit 299), we might have a winner.
I wonder if Sony was waiting for MS to announce theirs to finalize their own price.
They are sandwiched between the affordable and the premium competitive product and it might be a bit of a headache for the marketing team.
They cant market the console neither as the more affordable nor as the most powerful.
So it is all in the games, 3D sound and the controller

Sony can very much market as the Most Whatever, really. Most Immersive? Faster? Most Games? I'm sure they'll come up with something.

It's not a huge stretch, and the most important thing is that they have to sell it on Value. People are trying to equate a difference in TFlops into some sort of a pricing difference, ignoring everything else that gives value to the PS5.

They should never, ever want to market the PS5 as 'cheap' in terms of value, they have never done that and never will.

Last edited:
If Sony hits the 399 spot and 349 with the Digital (even sweeter but doubtful if they hit 299), we might have a winner.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-14/sony-is-struggling-with-playstation-5-price-due-to-costly-parts?cmpid==socialflow-twitter-tech&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_content=tech&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
Sony’s Chief Executive Officer Kenichiro Yoshida has said the business should be judged by the number of active users, not the number of hardware units sold.

300-350$ is unrealistic and a dream. Sony won't take a loss of 100$+ on each console to win a console war. Sony is in this business to make money.

I wonder if Sony was waiting for MS to announce theirs to finalize their own price.
They are sandwiched between the affordable and the premium competitive product and it might be a bit of a headache for the marketing team.
They cant market the console neither as the more affordable nor as the most powerful.
So it is all in the games, 3D sound and the controller
I would love for Sony to hit the 399 price point and at that point in time, given the performance profile of the console, that price point would be an absolute winner. But when I look at the number of compromises Series S took to get to 299 (and it seems like also taking a loss), I just can't see PS5 being able to get that low unfortunately as it is just too premium of a console and the size of the box doesn't help either.

I would love for Sony to hit the 399 price point and at that point in time, given the performance profile of the console, that price point would be an absolute winner. But when I look at the number of compromises Series S took to get to 299 (and it seems like also taking a loss), I just can't see PS5 being able to get that low unfortunately as it is just too premium of a console and the size of the box doesn't help either.
You really never know, but there's way too much console in there to hit $399. If it is, then great. But I will bet anything that they want to be seen as competing on an hardware front with the X, which they should, and also they know that they will sell a shit ton of units in the first year even at $499, so why take the hit?

Seeing the internal hardware i think '399', probably they aimed for that. But the console itself isnt small and the controllers wont come cheap. If they can do 399 for the DE that would be very good i think. On the other hand digital games are more expensive then the disc based ones here.

Sony have momentum (from last gen) and will likely have a big exclusive seller as launch (Spiderman). I wouldn't be surprised to see bundles including Spiderman sell like hot-cakes. They only need to price match MS and I don't see what's stopping them, sure the box is bigger with expensive cooling, but their APU is likely more expensive so it's probably a wash.

500 and 400 as I've said all along, go toe to toe with MS on the disk version, they have 'proper' exclusives and I really don't think the face-offs will be enough to turn people to MS...the digital coming in at 'just' 100 more than the XSS will have the advantage of offering people a cheaper entry into next gen for those with a PS4 digital library.

Going to be interesting to see how the sales go this gen, especially after the initial sales die down.

For me the big box combined with low price is the pain point for Sony.
399 price point is viral for their performance profile, digital sku or not, lets just assume Sony can make up the losses in other ways. But the box will likely be big just looking at the console, the digital and BR sku will likely be the same box size overall it'll come down to how many PS5s you can fit in a skid, and how many skids per container. If each store gets 1 truck shipment a week, the big box limits how many you can sell. You've got tons of demand at 399 but few boxes to sell. The increased price point is still going to have tons of demand so you may as well get the profits. You can forgo brick and mortar stores and opt to just use something like postal services and amazon. But that's still going to be challenge in mass delivering so many big box items. I just can't just see something below $450 and $499 because of this.

imo their challenge is the big box.
They've got lots of demand at all price point ranges 399 to 499. I'm not worried about them competing against Series S or X in terms of selling more.

The question becomes can they ship enough or feed demand enough with such a large box, and I think the answer may not be yes during COVID times. And I think we've been waiting so long on pricing because of it. INTL may be a mess and it's not something I've considered. So if that is the case, you may as well launch at a higher price and not take heavy losses and have huge lineups.

If it's expensive to ship, then it's going to be a big problem. Looking at South America and Aussie/NZL pricing, India, etc, is telling another story about costs.

While it's probably true in USA they can keep the costs low, but that may not translate everywhere.

tldr; PS5 will sell out no matter what between 399-499. So the only constraint is how much you can ship. They should pick a price point that will align their long term supply constraints and maximize profits.

Last edited:
Back