Nvidia Ampere Discussion [2020-05-14]

just came across this news and well, I wouldn't invest on 30XX series to mine

https://cointelegraph.com/news/eth-miners-will-have-little-choice-once-ethereum-20-launches-with-pos

"Mining" is not really very profitable for quite some time unless you have access to very cheap electricity. Recently, probably due to the incredible bubble created by the "DeFi" craze, mining Ethereum is quite profitable for a brief moment (arguably it still is, again depending on how cheap your electricity cost is). Buying 3080 to mine Ethereum is unlikely to be able to recoup the cost as it might take several months to cover the cost of the card alone, and Eth 2.0 with PoS could already be out at that time.

"Mining" is not really very profitable for quite some time unless you have access to very cheap electricity. Recently, probably due to the incredible bubble created by the "DeFi" craze, mining Ethereum is quite profitable for a brief moment (arguably it still is, again depending on how cheap your electricity cost is). Buying 3080 to mine Ethereum is unlikely to be able to recoup the cost as it might take several months to cover the cost of the card alone, and Eth 2.0 with PoS could already be out at that time.
a guy for whom I built a rig a year ago or so, with 6 Radeon VII sent me a picture the other day and he was "virtually" making 40€ a day -according to Nicehash-. I guess it's a lot less as of now, but well... not bad numbers, even so mining isn't the thing it used to be.

a guy for whom I built a rig a year ago or so, with 6 Radeon VII sent me a picture the other day and he was "virtually" making 40€ a day -according to Nicehash-. I guess it's a lot less as of now, but well... not bad numbers, even so mining isn't the thing it used to be.

Yeah, the profits from mining can be pretty volatile. Right now 6 Radeon VII is probably going to net you ~US$16 a day (not considering the cost of electricity).
In a way, if you don't care too much about selling your card second hand (some people don't want to buy a card used for mining), right now mining can be a way to get some money back from the card. Let's say you want to buy a 3080 for playing games, and you want to bet that the profit level of current ethereum mining is going to last for about a month, that means it's going to net you ~US$100 (depends on the cost of electricity, of course), which can be considered as a discount for the card. On the other hand, the trouble of setting up mining software and running it when the computer is not being used is probably not worth the trouble for as little as US$100. :)

Yeah, the profits from mining can be pretty volatile. Right now 6 Radeon VII is probably going to net you ~US$16 a day (not considering the cost of electricity).
In a way, if you don't care too much about selling your card second hand (some people don't want to buy a card used for mining), right now mining can be a way to get some money back from the card. Let's say you want to buy a 3080 for playing games, and you want to bet that the profit level of current ethereum mining is going to last for about a month, that means it's going to net you ~US$100 (depends on the cost of electricity, of course), which can be considered as a discount for the card. On the other hand, the trouble of setting up mining software and running it when the computer is not being used is probably not worth the trouble for as little as US$100. :)

That way the GPU is even cheaper! ;)

On chip liquid cooling for even more heat dissipation: https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/20/09/09/203234/researchers-demonstrate-in-chip-watercooling

Nvidia:
6Gtaqbb_d.webp

unless you have access to very cheap electricity.
A lot of student accommodation in the u.k has the utility bills included with the rent, just fill one of those flats with p.c's. Since it's a huge building with dozens of flats and the landlord is probably billed for the entire building (not per flat) so no one would know what your up to.

Hopefully an insightful video about the RTX Ampere architecture design and the underlying decisions involved from NVIDIA.
There's one other major improvement in RTX Ampere I did not cover in the vid, the RT cores have what NV refers to as a motion blur hw acceleration, however, the theory behind that means they can use it to speed up RT BVH acceleration in high motion scenes (with or without motion blur). This is going to be very useful for fast paced games.

Last edited:

All this 3080 violence, i think the 3070 is one of the better choices imo. It performs above a 2080Ti in normal rasterization while drawing less power, then we don't even talk about ray tracing/dlss performance and everything else the new gpus bring. The 2080Ti was the monster gpu of before, the highest end aside from the titan.
I think that's a great perspective for 499 dollar 20+TF gpu.

Last edited:
I just hope if they are bring a 3070Ti it's sooner rather than later.

I don't think it's if but when. Only thing i wonder, what if that 3070Ti performs like a 3080? Or do we get a 3080Ti also at the same time, would make sense. A 3080Ti down the line could be very competitive against the 3090. 3080Ti basically is a 8k 60fps gpu by then, in special considering DLSS wont stop where it is now.

The unboxing craze seemingly has begun.

Seems Nvidia is taking a different approach with this release. There's certainly been an orchestrated trickle of public info.

I don't recall them doing it this way before.

Aug 26: Cooling video
Sep 01: CEO presentation / product announcement
Sep 04: Editor's day technical deep dive
Sep 10: Unboxing videos
Sep 14: Reviews
Sep 17: Retail Availability

Back