Xbox Series S [XBSS] [Release November 10 2020]

You're probably not going to get enough credit to replace your whole disc library digitally. Not even close.

Nope, but better than nothing no? But you invested in a physical good that depreciates. What did you expect? You'll have to wait 20 years to gain back some value when people are looking to go retro.

Tommy McClain

As to the memory capacity gap between Series S and One X, it depends on OS reservations somewhat.

One X games can use up to 9GB, but they could use less if they wanted to. The system used any unused ram as cache.

Series S may have 7.5 GB for games if OS reservation is still 2.5 GB from Series X. It may be slightly lower if any of that scales. The best case I can see for Series S is if OS reserves drop to 2GB letting the games use 8GB.

So worst case is 9 GB vs 7.5 GB, possible case of 9 GB vs 8 GB, best case of no memory differential.

Regardless of how that ends up, the best scenario is getting the games patched to target the new hardware features of Series X and S. Streaming from storage could alleviate most memory capacity issues between OneX and SeriesS games.

So this is how I see it from an academic perspective at this time.

Might be interesting to look at all the One X Enhanced titles and cross-compare with Series X enhanced titles to see what is missing.

Will it not run Xbox One X games? If one X was 320 GB/s, unless that bandwidth was not used, ho2 come this one is 224? PS4 was bottlenecked with its 217.6 and it also did not target 4K.

And I´m not shure 224 is garanteed, because that memory configuration still leaves me doubts.
It cannot BC the X1X titles due to lack of memory AFAIUnderstand.

it is S -> S
And X -> X

Nope, but better than nothing no? But you invested in a physical good that depreciates. What did you expect? You'll have to wait 20 years to gain back some value when people are looking to go retro.
I don't think having to trade in your whole library for pennies to replace maybe 5% of it is appealing. As you say, this is a consequence of choice. But for those Xbox One owners who are heavily invested in a disc library, the Series S with no drive option represents a bitter pill.

If you're going to lose the greater part of your game library, maybe you'll think about PS5DE instead, especially if you all friends are getting PS5s. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not saying it's going to run BC games in One X mode but I think people are focusing to literally on paper specs.

If it is more performant than One X and there is a certain degree of virtualization with regards to BC then it's possible.

That would be shocking if it couldn't run the X enhanced titles at least at the same res as the outgoing console. I can understand the memory issue, but I can also imagine the headlines if the $299 console is replacing the version no longer being made and was often available at (or cheaper) than that price. Yes of course overall it's a far superior machine, but to get a res downgrade with current gen titles would be very surprising. 224 gb/s is def on the low side (and only 8gb of that speed at that), but the 5500XT actually holds up decently (not matching of course) against a 1660 super with its far higher 320gb/sec bus going by benchmarks I've seen, and that's just RNDA1.

I think the CPU different is extremely trivial though. Yeah I heard 'same cpu' like many but 200mhz just won't really factor in to any game.

but I can also imagine the headlines if the $299 console is replacing the version no longer being made and was often available at (or cheaper) than that price.
In the uk the XSS is priced same as 1S.
Your confusing 1X and XSX which was priced the same.

XSS will probably enhance 1S games. This is what i expect. Now some thinking out of the box.

For lots of games could run 1X version.
Most games stream textures, i would expect the engine to stream in textures until memory is occupied, that includes the higher res textures where applicable.
As you never know how much memory is going to be free, it just streams until full regardless of actual memory amount. Making space by unloading unrequired ones. Some times does not load in time like FF7 remake.

XSS may have less memory, but it would need to buffer a fraction of the amount and could easily be fast enough to make it up by loading throughput.

In fact it may actually look better as in the example of FF7 it would stream the higher mips in to memory in time.

Last edited:
In the uk the XSS is priced same as 1S.
Your confusing 1X abd XSX which waa priced same.

Really, great naming scheme MS.

The One X was often at $299 in the US. Sure, it may have been MS unloading inventory, but they sold a boatload at that price. MSRP, sure - but that's not what a lot of people paid for the X.

Yes. But some of it is a hot take.
No one knows how effective the Series S is at BC.

with the better GPU and CPU and other possible modifications it could be much better. Just can’t run the X1X variants.
Details are still slim.
that's what puzzles me. 224GB/s for the GPU is the entire bandwidth of a PS4 Pro. The CPU has 56GB/s for it alone, which could be enough to perform loads of drawcalls -at 60fps at least-. XoX has a total bandwidth of 326GB/s, minus 56GB/s, this Series S is not too far, optimisations aside :?:

Back