AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
When AMD did those [perf/watt] comparisons to showcase Vega, they simply used TDP numbers. The Footnotes 325 and 362 (which probably is 326, since 362 doesn't exist in the corporate presentation) don't mention the exact methodology either.

Saw 1752e in some synthies which did not tax power consumption to the max on the 64 LCE.
Ic. Lets say bondrewd is right even if i dont´recall AMD talking about fmax when comparing perf/watt. Vega fmax was around 1800Mhz but 350W or more needed. Pascal, Turing and Ampere fmax seems to be close to 2100Mhz, similar for rdna1 but navi10 5700 XT at 1900Mhz increases power considerably vs RX 5700s at 1750Mhz. What if RDNA2 navi 2x is a more clock-friendly one and it reaches fmax with low voltage/power? rdna2 fmax considering sonys ps5 at 2.23hz could very well be 2400-2500Mhz.

Possible, of course. They did talk about incorporating some clock tricks from the CPU side of engineering into GPUs for a while now. But for the most part, you would want a yielding v/f curve, not a flat one. But then, it'll depend on where your starting point is. AMD did never say, which RDNA2 version they used in order to determine/estimate the 50% perf/w improvement over RDNA1.

Renoir iGP reaches 2.4GHz OCed perfectly comfortably.
Yes, and i can see rdna2 at 2400-2500Mhz fmax too, but when did amd say it should be 50% more perf/watt at each fmax? btw vega 64 full at fmax 1800Mhz was around 350W, i also saw some review with 5700 xt oc at fmax 2100Mhz and power increased from 220 to around 250W, so you say if 5700 xt at fmax 2100Mhz is 20% more performant than vega 64 at 1800Mhz and 250 vs 350W is another 30%, there it is amd promised 50%?

I hope they have product availability on those dates.

Yeah I hope too. If not, they better have a interesting product. They need to make some noise after the nVidia presentation imo.

Edit : no tongue in cheek here. They running after nvidia and they're already late. Long term and if the product is good it won't matter of course, but right now the optic is bad imo. What is the point of waiting so long after the nVidia presentation ?

So a tweet. October 8.

EDIT:

It also seems that Zen 3 uses Matisse, or Matisse-ish arrangement?

I really hope they're talking about product availability and not product announcements/reveals on those dates, especially for RDNA2, though given that they have stated it would be out before consoles, it would have to be product availability (XSX release date being Nov 10th)
October 8th is release date for ZEN3. About RDNA2, the date is October 28th - Luckily we'll get info on the architecture and some performance teasers before.
About Zen3, it was clear it would have used packaging idetical to Matisse, the blocks however are surely different...

Yes it was to be expected that the packaging would be the same as Matisse, probably even the exact same IOD. And likewise for Milan. A very easy upgrade for AMD. I hope we get Milan reviews by end of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back