Microsoft Xbox Series X|S Storage Cards

I think it'll be less that $100 per TB with QLC nand and MS's bulk buying. It'll still look expensive compared to a HDD but it's not in horrible sticker shock territory.

There was an earlier rumor of the Seagate 1TB Expansion Card being $100. I have not seen any further rumors nor anything confirming it.

For reference, the existing Seagate USB3 1TB SSD external for Xbox One consoles is listed for around $219 at Newegg. Some may be posting this in GameStop inventory systems as the external NVME Card for Series X, since it technically will function for series x as a usb3 drive for Original Xbox, X360, and Xbox One games. Amazon has that old one listed at $199.

Possible SSD Xbox upgrade card leak from twitter. Unconfirmed obviously at this point.

Ehb0V8OXkAQx4mp

Ouch if so, but it does make sense given SSD prices.

One of the biggest emerging weaknesses of XSS will be storage. If you have slow internet, buying games on disc to have them ready to install when uninstalled wont be an option.

I think the best option for those with capped or slower internet would be to buy an external HDD for "cold storage" (apparently this is confirmed to be allowed on next gen xbox, which i didn't know) A 1TB seems to run about $45 on newegg.

Still, this is another $50 if you aren't prepared to deal with 512GB by itself (will of course be what, 400 after OS bloat/formatting?).

Realistically this might be the biggest XSS achilles heel.

Last edited:
Looking at SSD price, you should be able to get 1TB 2400 SSD for around $100. I was actually surprised at the rumored $100 price since it is too good to be true. I was expecting something around $120 ~ $150 because of the proprietary things + MS tax. $220 is a rip off. I hope the price is just a fake or a placeholder and the actual price will be much more sane.

Possible SSD Xbox upgrade card leak from twitter. Unconfirmed obviously at this point.

Ehb0V8OXkAQx4mp

One of the biggest emerging weaknesses of XSS will be storage. If you have slow internet, buying games on disc to have them ready to install when uninstalled wont be an option.

I think the best option for those with capped or slower internet would be to buy an external HDD for "cold storage" (apparently this is confirmed to be allowed on next gen xbox, which i didn't know) A 1TB seems to run about $45 on newegg.

Still, this is another $50 if you aren't prepared to deal with 512GB by itself (will of course be what, 400 after OS bloat/formatting?).

If that price is correct ($300+$220=$520), you're simply better off purchasing an XBSX.

Or just buy a 6TB external HDD for $100 and swap the games on and off the drive.

Of course that's an option if you're a patience person, and don't mind swapping huge triple-A titles that are getting bigger (100GB+), not smaller. More power to those folks...

I actually also forgot about this until @Proelite brought it up. Thanks again. :D

I think this is what I'll end up doing for the Series X. Probably just going to buy a 1 or 2TB external and swap games when needed.

Does xsx SSD use PCIE4.0?

The raw speed of xsx SSD is 2.4GB/s. Won’t the BOM be close to Kingston A2000 which is 2.2GB/s?

Copied from another thread, but that might be an older Seagate SSD expansion, https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2153126/

For reference, the existing Seagate USB3 1TB SSD external for Xbox One consoles is listed for around $219 at Newegg. Some may be posting this in GameStop inventory systems as the external NVME Card for Series X, since it technically will function for series x as a usb3 drive for Original Xbox, X360, and Xbox One games. Amazon has that old one listed at $199.​

Of course that's an option if you're a patience person, and don't mind swapping huge triple-A titles that are getting bigger (100GB+), not smaller. More power to those folks...

Well it's going to also depend on your budget. Which I recall from your home theater posts you're an outlier in that respect.

It is pretty clear to me now the best way to for most to maximize Xbox storage (particularly XSS) will be to get a inexpensive external hdd. A 5400 RPM HDD according to google has transfer speed of 100MB/s. That's about 4X what my 400 mbps cable connection can do from Xbox servers (usually about 200 mbps). And also ~4X Google's Ps4 Blu Ray drive throughput (216 mbps) So it would take about 17 minutes to transfer a 100GB game from 5400 rpm hdd (7200 RPM is only a little faster 120 MB/s). That isn't bad at all, and way faster than installing from a blu ray disc which is normal. Remembering of course you'll keep your most likely played games on the internal.

Still, it is emerging that storage on the XSS is a possibly huge problem. Adding a $100 or even $50 external drive is counter to the low cost ethos of the system.

Copied from another thread, but that might be an older Seagate SSD expansion, https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2153126/

For reference, the existing Seagate USB3 1TB SSD external for Xbox One consoles is listed for around $219 at Newegg. Some may be posting this in GameStop inventory systems as the external NVME Card for Series X, since it technically will function for series x as a usb3 drive for Original Xbox, X360, and Xbox One games. Amazon has that old one listed at $199.​

Probably the case. Really hope the price is more reasonable. Even $150 would now look great by compare.

Probably the case. Really hope the price is more reasonable. Even $150 would now look great by compare.

Agreed. It's funny how expectations change. I did cringe a bit when they first announced their external storage partner was Seagate. I was thinking it would be extremely priced.

If it's only $100-$140 range, I'll pick one up when they're available. If it's anything more, I'll wait until I see benchmarks with how normal external SSDs performs, then decide how I want to juggle my games.

The copying to/from my internal HDD to external SSD isn't that bad when only dealing with a single game on my OneX. But it's not a "oh, I think I'll play this game, lets copy it to faster storage and play it 10 seconds later" territory. It's more like "Okay, I'm finished playing these games and going to play these other games next, let's kick the mass move off now and go grab dinner or watch a show" territory.

By the looks of it, wonder if you could upgrade the onboard ssd.
The copying to/from my internal HDD to external SSD isn't that bad when only dealing with a single game on my OneX. But it's not a "oh, I think I'll play this game, lets copy it to faster storage and play it 10 seconds later" territory. It's more like "Okay, I'm finished playing these games and going to play these other games next, let's kick the mass move off now and go grab dinner or watch a show" territory.
will only need to do that for next gen /patched gamea which I'm assuming you meant.

The copying speed should be a lot faster now. Be an interesting benchark to see actually.

Back