Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly the best value console for next generation.

It kinda looks.. hmm.

socuzeikfvl51.jpg

GPU power ?

I would expect that to be somewhat quiet, if they talk in output in relation to the X as a game experience it's probably more useful to their target audience.

1440p is a nice surprise. Well, not really. I think some people kind of predicted that the Series S would float between 1080p & 1440p.

512GB of storage (even less when you account for what the system OS will take up) is slightly disappointing. But at $299, I guess you can't really complain. Also means people are going to have to buy Microsoft's proprietary storage unless they delete games after completing them.

512 is not awful if the $100 expansion drives rumours were true. All existing games can sit on their external usb3 drive so out the gate no pain for most users I would think.
I hope smart deliver is now smarter delivery and texture download size is reduced and games in general are better packaged and updatable without ballooning as they currently do. This seems the biggest bloat atm, poor game update facilities.

If it does 1440p then I think I will go for this over the X. I am more interested in frame rate at the moment, my 4k screen is small TV wise and I don't sit nose to it. I doubt my aging eyes will notice much.

Only 512gb SSD for an All-Digital console...and it doesn't seem to have a port for extra storage.
Where was this confirmed?

I was hoping for about 640 - 750GB

Not a lot, but for the people who will be buying it, they may only play couple games at a time.
USB external drives and SSD cartridge expansion should mean it should be ok for the vast majority of the users.

It kinda looks.. hmm.

socuzeikfvl51.jpg
I think it's the orientation that makes it Iook questionable.
When it's laying flat, or with the fan to the side not facing out, it will look like a nice smaller 1S.

Honestly I think this is a terrible idea. It cheapens the brand and won't really have an audience. It won't get much, if any notable media attention and any marketing efforts put into are money that could have been spent promoting the flagship.

This won't be a much of a disaster as Kinect and the TV focus of Xbox One (with poor execution mind you) but it's completely unnecessary.

It kinda looks.. hmm.

socuzeikfvl51.jpg

Who didn't see that meme coming? :yep2:

Honestly I think this is a terrible idea. It cheapens the brand and won't really have an audience. It won't get much, if any notable media attention and any marketing efforts put into are money that could have been spent promoting the flagship.

This won't be a much of a disaster as Kinect and the TV focus of Xbox One (with poor execution mind you) but it's completely unnecessary.

I really want to hear third-party developers thoughts on this... :yep2:

I think it’ll be great for kids/parents and people on a budget.

Then those people get locked into the ecosystem and upgrade

Last edited:
I think a lot of the concerns will be alleviated once they actually show games running on it, especially next gen only games.

Both the XSX and XSS needs games to be shown running, but probably more so XSS.

I was expecting games to probably target around 1200p (1080-1440p dynamic) but the marketing to be 1080p.
So this is pretty interesting.

It's from an alleged launch trailer leak

i didnt see one, it might have it though. but MS is smoking if it doesnt-
Yeah the trailer is all CGI with no shot of the ports on the back but I agree they'd be mad not to. MS had the 360 cheapo model with no hdd so they are well used to selling storage upgrades and it would be very weird if this model didn't support that

Last edited:
Let's go like this: what do you think RT is doing and why do you think resolution matters? I've just told you RT has nothing to do with resolution because it even happens before the image is rasterised at so. Tell me why you think it does.
Sorry for not understanding how RT works (I appreciate this is a technical forum and I’m not very ‘technical’ regarding RT!). I would have assumed less detail meant less areas for the rays to bounce around and with reflections and shadows the details lower...I guess I shouldn’t assume! Lol

?
Of course it makes a difference, sure each ray has the same number of work to do (i.e. the triangle count aint reduced) but you are sampling less pixels at the start
for evidence, run any ray tracer at 400x300 and then run it at 800x600 & watch it run a lot slower
Well at least someone else thinks like me (poor you ;))

oh and 150gb is taken up by the OS so that only leaves 350gb for games

I must have missed this. When was this revealed?

Three game resumes should be 3 x 13.5 GB so 40.5GB. And 32 GB is plenty for Win 10 on a Netbook, complete with all the full OS bloat and Netflix, Spotify etc. Even with a few GB of working space for patching and OS updates, I don't understand why they'd need even close to 150 GB reserved.

Ditch all but one of the quick resume slots and they should be able to get reserved space right down.

Quick resume still there.

Ouch if true

Ouch if true indeed!

512 GB isn't so bad, relatively speaking, if game installs drop 4K assets. Could probably save up to half of the install space, maybe even more than that in some cases.

But no expansion port? That'd suck. Better hope the OS allows you to cache games from a USB 3 external drive or there's going to be some juggling going on there.

Edit: My brain in rejecting the idea that MS wouldn't include the expansion port. They want to sell games and Gamepass. Dropping a port costing a dollar or two would be a false economy. I think it'll be there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back