Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume the speaker like grill is a fan grill? I hope nobody is stupid enough to block it, which you know, inevitably there will be someone either sandwich it between something or lay it down and put something on top of it. Same as XsX which I hope nobody put something on top of it (although it has a bit of concave but it just that, a bit).
Maybe they need to put a proximity sensor to warn people when something is blocking the fan.

I assume the speaker like grill is a fan grill? I hope nobody is stupid enough to block it, which you know, inevitably there will be someone either sandwich it between something or lay it down and put something on top of it. Same as XsX which I hope nobody put something on top of it (although it has a bit of concave but it just that, a bit).
Maybe they need to put a proximity sensor to warn people when something is blocking the fan.
Well, it's no different from the existing S fan in that regard, and it does have the side vents. The X has that emergency vent slot at the back.

We can confirm via our sources that the entry-level Xbox Series S will cost $299 at retail, with a $25 per month Xbox All Access financing option, which Microsoft is planning to push hard via various retailers and a large global roll out.
Is this $299 PLUS $25 a month,(i.e. real price $400+)
or actually $299 i.e.
person can choose $299 outright or pay $25 a month over X months (prolly 12 months, 12x25=$300)

The SSD, CPU and GPU perf alone puts it above XBX... so it should be able to handle next-generation graphics at 1440p native or 4K-CB quite well.

While marketing always talks up higher resolutions than what are actually used, I'd be willing to bet money that what this is actually targeted at is to run the same titles that XsX does, but at 1080p. Simply because that's what >50% of the screens that these are going to be connected into are capable of. 1080p is still near half of newly sold TVs, and the vast majority of the installed base. Who is going to purchase a brand-new high-end TV and then the cheapo console to go with it?

And note that I think that doing that is very much the smart move. Resolution scaling is by far the lowest-effort way to scale a game into different platforms, and a significant portion of the market can't see any difference between 1080p and higher because of their screens anyway, so why not just do that, but do it very well? That means the same CPU, similar architecture, the same IO system, etc etc, but just cut GPU power to about a third, memory bandwidth to between a third and half, and memory amount to about half.

3lo1ApE.jpg

1440p is a nice surprise. Well, not really. I think some people kind of predicted that the Series S would float between 1080p & 1440p.

512GB of storage (even less when you account for what the system OS will take up) is slightly disappointing. But at $299, I guess you can't really complain. Also means people are going to have to buy Microsoft's proprietary storage unless they delete games after completing them.

1440p is a nice surprise. Well, not really. I think some people kind of predicted that the Series S would float between 1080p & 1440p.

512GB of storage (even less when you account for what the system OS will take up) is slightly disappointing. But at $299, I guess you can't really complain. Also means people are going to have to buy Microsoft's proprietary storage unless they delete games after completing them.

You can move games to external SSD at 1.2GB/s if you need room.

Also 1080p assets and no need to duplicated data should make the 512GB not so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back