Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SSD, CPU and GPU perf alone puts it above XBX... so it should be able to handle next-generation graphics at 1440p native or 4K-CB quite well.

I don't doubt that, but it is still too expensive for what it is. It is way too large a step down from the Series X. Although the discounted price with the monthly payment fits better the price I was expecting 199-249. If Sony gambles with 399 for PS5 digital edition, LH is dead in the water.

I don't doubt that, but it is still too expensive for what it is. It is way too large a step down from the Series X. Although the discounted price with the monthly payment fits better the price I was expecting 199-249. If Sony gambles with 399 for PS5 digital edition, LH is dead in the water.

How is it a step down? It's not designed for 4k.

I really don't get your logic here.

Sony isn't about to eat $100 or more (per unit) in BOM cost, just so they can reach $399. Their SSD and I/O controller tech is very costly...

How is it a step down? It's not designed for 4k.

I really don't get your logic here.

Oh common. Like resolution is the only thing that matters. That teraflop difference will be more and more visible as the generation goes on when more compute is used for stuff that does not scale with resolution.

Oh common. Like resolution is the only thing that matters. That teraflop difference will be more and more visible as the generation goes on when more compute is used for stuff that does not scale with resolution.

Great thing about the future that you may or may not know. You can buy a new system. I know its crazy. Remember this generation when people wanted better performance and the ps4 pro and xox came out and they couldn't go out and buy them because they had a system at home ? Yea this time that wont happen. They are free to go buy new systems.

Amazing how that could happen. You buy a series s for your kid or because you have an xbox one or ps4 and want raytracing and fast loads and all the good jazz of the new systems. Then at some point maybe they get a new 4k tv and they upgrade to the series x or maybe the mid gen refreshes hit in 3-4 years and they decide now is the time to buy a new console.

Not sure if you've notice but the xbox one and ps4 are struggling with games at 1080p. Their cpu's are ancient and so are the gpus. This allows people to get much better performance with much better visuals.

Its going to be very popular

Guess what? PC handles this well: low, medium, high & ultra settings. The game will go for Series S as the generation progresses. You act devs don't know how to program for different performance targets.

Tommy McClain

Guess what? PC handles this well: low, medium, high & ultra settings. The game will go for Series S as the generation progresses. You act devs don't know how to program for different performance targets.

Tommy McClain

I have a gaming PC and will probably not even buy a console this generation at all. I'm fully aware of that. I'm just saying that 299 for those specs in the console world is poor value. What's the point in advertising Ray Tracing for a whole generation of consoles when most likely the LH wont be powerful enough to handle it, for example. How is LH providing a significant better experience than last gen if it does not have the power to have all the bells and whistles? Yeah, it might load games faster. So what if the rest is not a definitive improvement? We'll see how this goes but I'm fully expecting to see a huge deficit in DF analysis when they come.

XsS also comes in Black

radio-portable-sony-icf-35_original.png

is that an official Microsoft Xbox Twitter account and not some goofy one like @PiayStatlon?

Cool. I've long been a proponent of a two tier launch. Good to see it exists.

Good that there's a price, but it's the specs for which I'm hungry. The memory setup in particular.

Sony isn't about to eat $100 or more (per unit) in BOM cost, just so they can reach $399. Their SSD and I/O controller tech is very costly...
You don’t think digital edition can be 100 cheaper?
The drive is less for sure, the the extra they make up in digital sales will make it a good solution. I think 300 is great value for those on a budget, my only concern is around why you might upgrade with no exclusives and if you already have an X that is likely because you have a 4K TV.

But the price will be appealing? Especially for parents.

I have a gaming PC and will probably not even buy a console this generation at all. I'm fully aware of that. I'm just saying that 299 for those specs in the console world is poor value. What's the point in advertising Ray Tracing for a whole generation of consoles when most likely the LH wont be powerful enough to handle it, for example. How is LH providing a significant better experience than last gen if it does not have the power to have all the bells and whistles? Yeah, it might load games faster. So what if the rest is not a definitive improvement? We'll see how this goes but I'm fully expecting to see a huge deficit in DF analysis when they come.
Because it’s running at a lower resolution it won’t need as much RT power (how I understand it). Much like the PS5 will likely run at a lower res than XSX but the RT will scale.

Funny how they say ERP, other rumors of them possibly going $50 lower, which would be crazy. I could see the 20% discount on the hardware with Xbox All Access, but a straight up retail price of $249 is just too much for me to believe. I could see $279, but not $249.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back