Formula 1 - 2020 Season

Can someone ELIA (Explain Like I'm American) this party mode ban?
You can “turn up” the engine to achieve higher performance at the cost of engine life. I’ve heard one party mode lap is the equivalent of 20 regular laps.

Interesting that McLaren outqualified Renault, considering how strong Renault were at Spa. Did Renault suffer more from the party mode ban, or do McLaren have less drag? Or is this all luck o’ the slipstream? Hamilton had the (slight? he left a decent gap) slipstream to Bottas throughout and only beat him by .069.

LeClerc’s Q2 lap looked pretty clean, he just didn’t have the speed. Vettel was tripping over Russell by T2, so no chance to improve his first Q1 time. Gasly en fuego but a mistake in Q3.

Odd that Ocon was called to the stewards for blocking Kimi (as BBC framed it) when Kimi compromised everyone’s Q1 by trying to cut everyone in line for the second run, screwing up spacing and probably tire prep. He’s normally a very fair racer. If he didn’t want to deal with the queue or dirty air, Alfa could have just sent him out earlier, like Ferrari did with LeClerc.

So about that party mode ban......

Spa, gap to Verstapen, 0.5, Italy 0.9.

Considering Red Bull pushed for the party mode ban, I am finding this hilarious.

Be careful what you wish for Horner, you might just get it.

The race is a forgone conclusion, seeing as now Merc are going to be even faster as they won't be able to turn the engine down!

Not to mention the fastest lap in history averaging 164.267mph.

Enjoy Christian, enjoy.

Odd that Ocon was called to the stewards for blocking Kimi (as BBC framed it) when Kimi compromised everyone’s Q1 by trying to cut everyone in line for the second run, screwing up spacing and probably tire prep. He’s normally a very fair racer. If he didn’t want to deal with the queue or dirty air, Alfa could have just sent him out earlier, like Ferrari did with LeClerc.
Yeah, sometimes the stewards decisions are bonkers.

Not to mention the fastest lap in history averaging 164.267mph.

Enjoy Christian, enjoy.

I think it's a bit too simple to say it didn't work based on one quali.

The hope is probably that overall performance in the race sees as bigger decrease for Merc compared to the other engines.

For example if they cannot turn up the power at the start they might not create that important initial DRS gap or turn it up for in/out laps might give others a chance to be closer.

That of course assumes Merc gains a bigger advantage compared to it's rivals from turning up their engine.

I don't think anyone thought it would make a instant major difference.

Whatever the case, Mercedes has been dominating for so long now I don't mind them trying something like this. Obviously Merc did a better job than others but seeing them in a league of their own week in week out isn't very exciting either.

Will make no difference. Ignoring Raikonnen going backwards and Hamilton moving up through the pack, there was basically no overtaking before or after the red flag.

RBR also picked a great time to have a horrible day. This was their chance to make the WDC a bit more interesting.

To reiterate: Gasly en fuego. ;)

Am I reading too much into a couple of freakishly lucky races, or does RBR have to rethink their driver approach? They’d better not bail on Albon before the end of this year.

Was Bottas’ car set up differently to Lewis’ that he had so much trouble overtaking? Did the engine mode ban affect Merc that badly, or did they play it too conservatively and everyone else (used to running in dirty air) successfully ran their engines closer to redline (with the necessary cooling)? It looked like Bottas’ people were talking with an FIA rep about putting a less restrictive engine cover/vent on his car during the red flag.

Speaking of red flags, why on earth does it allow for a free tire change?

I’m glad the Sky guys noticed that reverse grid races can be fun. Nothing wrong with them as long as everyone’s equally disadvantaged.

TZAVLA8.jpg
It actually managed to get even worse :confused:

Don't forget the mario-kart like shortcut attempted on lap 6.
Not intentional, if you look you can see Vettels' hopes & dreams brakes flying out of the rear wheels just after the lockup.

Speaking of hopes & dreams: in one of the pre interviews they were talking with Vettel about him having purchased a classic F1 car & when asked when he'll get to drive it the answer was 'Well I'm a bit busy this year so It'll have to wait for next year' pretty much confirmation he's retiring.

Super congrats to Gasly.

Shame for Kvyat who started on hards, would have been ahead of Gasly if they didn't pit on the first safety car then have got free tyre change on the red flag.
Of course they couldn't know there would be that red flag so they really had to take the opportunity & he can't be too unhappy with a 9th, some good overtakes & mid-field pace.
Question is with their track record & Gasly far ahead on points + qualifications are AT going to dump him for a newbie again?

Indeed.
Not just that but quite a lot of fixing stuff & the odd sojourn to try to brow-beat the Stewards.
I was kinda hoping they'd restart the race while he was a significant ride away just for the farce of it :runaway:

Indeed.
Not just that but quite a lot of fixing stuff & the odd sojourn to try to brow-beat the Stewards.
I was kinda hoping they'd restart the race while he was a significant ride away just for the farce of it :runaway:

Because red flags are supposed to be rare occurrences* for catastrophic crashes where you have half the grid more or less piled up like infamous Spa, they need to have the possibility to do repairs, tire changes (weather can change during red flag, there may be punctures pre-red flag etc) and so on
(though considering how ridiculous the "safety" has gone they'll probably be more common now, based on the current mindset in there we'll probably see red flags when a leaf falls from a tree to the track in couple years, safety car at minimum)

It actually managed to get even worse :confused:

Not intentional, if you look you can see Vettels' hopes & dreams brakes flying out of the rear wheels just after the lockup.

Speaking of hopes & dreams: in one of the pre interviews they were talking with Vettel about him having purchased a classic F1 car & when asked when he'll get to drive it the answer was 'Well I'm a bit busy this year so It'll have to wait for next year' pretty much confirmation he's retiring.

Super congrats to Gasly.

Shame for Kvyat who started on hards, would have been ahead of Gasly if they didn't pit on the first safety car then have got free tyre change on the red flag.
Of course they couldn't know there would be that red flag so they really had to take the opportunity & he can't be too unhappy with a 9th, some good overtakes & mid-field pace.
Question is with their track record & Gasly far ahead on points + qualifications are AT going to dump him for a newbie again?

Indeed.
I think Kvyat is better than Albon. When they were racing against each Kvyat was often faster than him. But we know they probably won't do that (fire Albon) because of the thai co-ower.

To reiterate: Gasly en fuego. ;)

Am I reading too much into a couple of freakishly lucky races, or does RBR have to rethink their driver approach? They’d better not bail on Albon before the end of this year.

Was Bottas’ car set up differently to Lewis’ that he had so much trouble overtaking? Did the engine mode ban affect Merc that badly, or did they play it too conservatively and everyone else (used to running in dirty air) successfully ran their engines closer to redline (with the necessary cooling)? It looked like Bottas’ people were talking with an FIA rep about putting a less restrictive engine cover/vent on his car during the red flag.

I’m glad the Sky guys noticed that reverse grid races can be fun. Nothing wrong with them as long as everyone’s equally disadvantaged.

Mercs have always suffered in traffic, this isn't the first time. Their car is designed to run at the front.

Tire changed during red flags isn't strange at all I think. The race is stopped at that point and allows work on the car to be done. There are also instances where you'd want to allow tires to be changed. If for example a race is red flagged because of bad weather or bad weather happens while the red flag is out, you don't want to send out cars on slicks.

Anyway as with almost every rule sometimes some people lose out and sometimes others gain something but I don't see a fundamental issue with the rule. It's just that this time it happened right after most people pitted.

As for reverse grids, they aren't fun. The only reason people make a big deal out of it this time is because of the unusual outcome. But if you have drivers that don't really have the speed winning every other week just because of reverse grids it stops being fun real quick.

Reverse grids, BoP etc. if you think that's a good idea you're better off just going with a spec series instead of creating artificial racing.

wild race, very entertaining. as someone said, hamilton should get penalties in every race :D

Yeah, I knew that as you could see it easily in the video but wanted to keep it a bit spoiler free and light-hearted if anyone was watching delayed.

A Perez-Magnussen pairing could be as “entertaining” (read: contentious) as Perez-Ocon.

Back