Beware, Windows 10 2004 update severely crippled Cortana

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
  • Hey Cortana, play random music on spotify!
  • Hey Cortana, louder
  • Hey Cortana, open MPC
  • hey Cortana, next
etc...

basically the new cortana no longer can interact to windows media control (the pop up on top left corner that appear when you turn volume up or down using hardware key).

dunno what else MS removed. Some news articles says they also removed skills, dunno what is skills. I never linked cortana to any services. But if you use skills, it also goes bye-bye.

as for the windows itself. I dont feel any benefit.
  • START still randomly froze,
  • windows file history still randomly complains it lost connection to network drive for too long (despite the network drive is working just fine, as im using it to stream media and all my project files are in them).
  • some systray icons still randomly become blurry after awhile (like.... almost a week with no reboot)
  • Origin still asking for login password every reboot (okay okay, its probably origin bug hahaha)
EDIT: cortana Text To Speech voice is still there. The new update hidden it again, but the old registry edit make it works again.

For most this would be a major plus.

if you disabled cortana, the new update will re enable cortana. at least from what i read. Fortunately the new cortana can be uninstalled with powershell (the usual uninstall command for appx)

Back