AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you please elaborate? Because AMDGPU driver code commits for Linux kernel 5.9 are saying an opposite.
I wouldn’t call an unused macro in the patch “confirmed” HBM, at most alleged, especially with their habit of cloning code for existing chips to bootstrap new chips.

No.
DRAM vendors routinely lie.
See 3.2Gbps HBMs getting announced but not existing anywhere in any way, shape or form one year after the said announcement.
Who are you that you speak as though you have explicit insider info?

I fully expect top range Navi to utilise hbm2 in order to maximise bandwidth without needing to utilise too much die are.

16gb seems like the obvious choice for memory capacity for a high end card. 12gb is 1gb more than nvidias previous flagship, launched 2 years prior.

GDDR6 it is.
Currently shipping HBM2E is 2.4Gbps so it's not a big win over G6@16Gbps even at three stacks.

Yeah I wanna some AIC vendor to do a 48gig N21 for kicks.
Why?
No idea, but might be fun.
Honestly, not sure about your sources or insider info, hope you are right and AMD is there in the highend as Lisa promised. 384-bit makes sense if HBM stacks do not fit for the best solution now, but you also said there is some reason for navi 21 only beeing launched with a kind of "built by ATI" design and no AIB custom designs or at least not at launch or close to it, but if its not HBM, what reason could be that? and what about Navi 22 256-bit custom AIBs?

Wouldn't a 384-bit bus limit AMD to using 12 GB or 24 GB?
Yeah.
Hm... that’s a bit short for 80CUs, no?
A bit.
I fully expect top range Navi to utilise hbm2 in order to maximise bandwidth without needing to utilise too much die are.
Current HBM isn't really that fast unless you're going for 4+ stacks.
The fastest one is on A100 and it is like 2.54Gbps.
there is some reason
The reason is secrecy.
but if its not HBM
AIBs can easily build HBM boards, they've done it with Vega anyway.
what about Navi 22 256-bit custom AIBs?
Coming at launch as usual like most 2nd wave AMD chips always do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back