The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt ! [XO, PS4, NX, PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

Hows the UX?

Switch have pretty small screen and exclusive games even sometimes have horrible UX (e.g. Fire emblem Tree House tiny thin fonts)

Didn't bother me to by honest, but I played the game before, so probably not the best person to comment on that. I'll go again on Thursday, so I can check again if I have time.

So, I heard about this a few days ago and only just now looked into it. So, this post is just to celebrate the Witcher IP and how far it has propelled CDPR.

Much of this has been inspired by watching Strippin on Twitch play TW3 for the first time ever. Hearing comments like, "OMG, this game is gorgeous. When did it come out?" And, "Some of the best graphics for this entire generation." And, "Holy shit, I didn't realize how good this game was or I'd have played it ages ago. I thought it was just a medieval open world game. But it's so much better. Maybe the game of this generation." To be fair he's big into RP (GTA V online servers, for example). So games like this with extensive stories and side stories has possibly moved it ahead of his previous game of the generation (God of War 2016).

Because of how amazed he was at the game, I'm thinking about buying the DLC and trying again to see if I can finally finish a Witcher game. I really REALLY want to, but it's hard for me to stay interested in an open world game. They inevitably end up feeling like stale unchanging MMO-RPG lite games.

Anyway, on to the data and articles.

https://www.windowscentral.com/witcher-franchise-has-crossed-50-million-copies-sold

Apparently The Witcher IP has surpassed 50 million titles sold. The Witcher 3 accounts for over 28 million units sold.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3s-sales-by-system-how-the-game-has-sold-o/1100-6475832/

Platform breakdown.
  • PC: ~12 million
  • PS4: ~ 10.8 million
  • Xbox One: ~ 4.3 million
  • Nintendo Switch: ~ 700,000
  • Total: ~28.3 million
Also look at Digital versus Physical since launch. These are unit sales and do not include DLC. All of these are in starting year...so think of them in terms of "year ending [year+1]. So for example the numbers for 2019 is for year ending 2020 (IE - data from the year ending 2020 financial report).
  • 71% physical in 2015
  • 40% physical in 2016
  • 26% physical in 2017
  • 20% physical in 2018
  • 18% physical in 2019
Unlike most game sales. The Witcher IP has done better in Europe than the US. I imagine it has got to be REALLY popular in Poland.

Also some perspective on just how much the IP has grown.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-witcher/series-sales

That article has a nice little graph showing CDPR's profits. The Witcher 3 has been an absolute monster for them. And well deserved.

I hope their success carries over to Cyberpunk. I know some people have reservations thinking that Medieval setting has more appeal than a futuristic Cyberpunk setting, but I think futuristic is generally more attractive than medieval. Granted, perhaps this is colored by living in the US and Japan versus Europe (with it's extensive medieval history and folklore).

Anyway, huge kudos for CDPR reaching those heights without the backing of a large publisher.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
So, I heard about this a few days ago and only just now looked into it. So, this post is just to celebrate the Witcher IP and how far it has propelled CDPR.

Much of this has been inspired by watching Strippin on Twitch play TW3 for the first time ever. Hearing comments like, "OMG, this game is gorgeous. When did it come out?" And, "Some of the best graphics for this entire generation." And, "Holy shit, I didn't realize how good this game was or I'd have played it ages ago. I thought it was just a medieval open world game. But it's so much better. Maybe the game of this generation." To be fair he's big into RP (GTA V online servers, for example). So games like this with extensive stories and side stories has possibly moved it ahead of his previous game of the generation (God of War 2016).

Because of how amazed he was at the game, I'm thinking about buying the DLC and trying again to see if I can finally finish a Witcher game. I really REALLY want to, but it's hard for me to stay interested in an open world game. They inevitably end up feeling like stale unchanging MMO-RPG lite games.

Anyway, on to the data and articles.

https://www.windowscentral.com/witcher-franchise-has-crossed-50-million-copies-sold

Apparently The Witcher IP has surpassed 50 million titles sold. The Witcher 3 accounts for over 28 million units sold.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3s-sales-by-system-how-the-game-has-sold-o/1100-6475832/

Platform breakdown.
  • PC: ~12 million
  • PS4: ~ 10.8 million
  • Xbox One: ~ 4.3 million
  • Nintendo Switch: ~ 700,000
  • Total: ~28.3 million
Also look at Digital versus Physical since launch. These are unit sales and do not include DLC. All of these are in starting year...so think of them in terms of "year ending [year+1]. So for example the numbers for 2019 is for year ending 2020 (IE - data from the year ending 2020 financial report).
  • 71% physical in 2015
  • 40% physical in 2016
  • 26% physical in 2017
  • 20% physical in 2018
  • 18% physical in 2019
Unlike most game sales. The Witcher IP has done better in Europe than the US. I imagine it has got to be REALLY popular in Poland.

Also some perspective on just how much the IP has grown.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-witcher/series-sales

That article has a nice little graph showing CDPR's profits. The Witcher 3 has been an absolute monster for them. And well deserved.

I hope their success carries over to Cyberpunk. I know some people have reservations thinking that Medieval setting has more appeal than a futuristic Cyberpunk setting, but I think futuristic is generally more attractive than medieval. Granted, perhaps this is colored by living in the US and Japan versus Europe (with it's extensive medieval history and folklore).

Anyway, huge kudos for CDPR reaching those heights without the backing of a large publisher.

Regards,
SB

Great post. Makes me want to go back and finally finish Blood and Wine.

I bought a Switch lite just before the lock-down just so I could play the Witcher 3 on it. I also got Zelda (didn't like it very much), Hellblade, Assassins Creed: Rebel Collection, Warframe, Skyrim, and Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen.

But basically I am just doing a 'Switcher'. I thought the port to the switch was pretty amazing and after a while, when you lose yourself in the game, you stop noticing the cut backs that had to be made to get it to work.

https://thewitcher.com/en/news/32792/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-is-coming-to-the-next-generation

Developed to take advantage of the most powerful gaming hardware, the next-gen edition of the game will feature a range of visual and technical improvements — including ray tracing and faster loading times — across the base game, both expansions, and all extra content.
[12:23]
The next generation edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will release as a standalone purchase for PC, Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, as well as a free update for everyone who already owns the game on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Great CDPR delivers as always.

These guys. Honestly I can't think of a nicer (or astute?) bunch of people. They literally would sell millions of next-gen "remakes" of this game, yet still they offer it as a free update. With ray tracing thrown in too. Mad.
Yup, this is very nice.

Yup, this is very nice.
I may have trust issues, but it almost feels like there must be an ulterior motive.

They're still a business, they still incur the costs for updating a game that is many, many years old, and which they know would bring them more revenue. And knowing full well that the vast majority of other devs do the exact opposite and always try to nickel and dime at every opportunity.

They can't be that 'nice'. Can they? What's the catch?

Trust issues, see?

At every turn they have acted ethically and without greed. There are actually some game companies out there bigger than indie devs that don't do everything they can to get all the money. We're just so used to these behemoths like EA, Activision, Ubisoft, TakeTwo etc. that the only goal is making billions for the executives and investors.

At every turn they have acted ethically and without greed. There are actually some game companies out there bigger than indie devs that don't do everything they can to get all the money. We're just so used to these behemoths like EA, Activision, Ubisoft, TakeTwo etc. that the only goal is making billions for the executives and investors.
I have to agree. I mean, I am still absolutely gobsmacked at how the Control devs have basically told everyone to f'k right off, and that they want people who already bought the game (a ONE YEAR OLD GAME) to buy it again, if they want next gen features.

And then you have CDPR not just doing the right thing, but doing what many of us would actually feel would be a justified expense, given that The Witcher 3 is so old now. I mean, I bought this Ultimate edition for something like £8 on a PSN sale a year or two ago. And now I get a next gen upgrade for free? That's mental.

And I bought Control at launch for full price, hated it, never finished it, and those guys want me to buy it again at almost full price so that I can see some RT reflections?

Last edited:
It’s a win win for them and us. Get more sales from an exploding and well loved IP ale specially after the amazing series on Netflix. An opportune time to gather more friends.

A good will setup for cyberpunk2077.
Encouragement to buy the DLC. Everyone wins and fans get their toys.

All we need is Dandelion to sing “toss a coin to your Witcher” in the game and it’s good times for everyone.

They seem do well by their customers. They're not unblemished on the ethics front though. They had poor responses to a trans phobic ad campaign and crunch complaints. They don't seem to be repeating the former. They've double downed on the latter for Cyberpunk. I hope they get their staff nice cookies or some such for their efforts. :-?

Remaster though. Yay! A more modern TAA solution is oddly the thing I'd like most. Image quality > ray traced effects. Although I'll take though too, assuming I ever have hardware up to it.

I may have trust issues, but it almost feels like there must be an ulterior motive.

They're still a business, they still incur the costs for updating a game that is many, many years old, and which they know would bring them more revenue. And knowing full well that the vast majority of other devs do the exact opposite and always try to nickel and dime at every opportunity.

Trust issues, see?

Each copy install a bitcoin miner... You'll never notice 'cos these consoles will be super quiet and dead l33t :)

That's awesome. I've still not finished the second DLC and kind of wanted to go back, but had too many other games to play. This is just the excuse I need to finish one of the greatest games ever made.
the DLC is by far the best part of the witcher 3. Some real quality content in there. Fantastic stories and antagonists.

Back