Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Full Post @ https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/02/designed-for-xbox-new-look-continuous-compatibility/

Designed for Xbox – A New Look, Continuous Compatibility

At Xbox we’ve long believed that accessories are a critical part of the gaming experience. Whether it’s controllers, headsets, or storage for that catalog of games we know you’ve collected over the years, accessories enhance the user experience on Xbox. Since the launch of the original Xbox, the Designed for Xbox program has focused on engaging with partners to build the best possible accessories for Xbox across a range of categories. With the launch of Xbox Series X, we’re committed to continuous compatibility, as we know that how and where an accessory works is incredibly important to the overall experience.

Today marks the beginning of the next generation for the Designed for Xbox program. We’ll discuss compatibility of your favorite Xbox One accessories, introduce the new Designed for Xbox look, and share some new partnerships we are especially excited for. These new partnerships represent new experiences for our gamers on Xbox Series X and can’t wait to hear what you think.

Continuous Compatibility

Before we dive into what’s new, let’s talk about tried and true. Many folks are wondering what a new console generation means for the products they already own and love. If you have a favorite Xbox One accessory, like a SteelSeries headset that fits just right or a Thrustmaster Wheel you want to put more mileage on, you’re in luck! Designed for Xbox is working hard with our partners to ensure continuous compatibility across as many products as possible.

Any officially licensed Xbox One accessory that connects to your console wired or wirelessly via USB will work on Xbox Series X. Additionally, any headsets that connects via your Xbox Wireless Controller’s 3.5mm port will also be supported.

Some gaming headsets that utilize an optical cable may require a firmware update to support game and chat audio over USB on Xbox Series X. Soundbars and headsets that do not receive updates may be connected directly to your televisions optical port. Starting this holiday, many Designed for Xbox controller charging solutions will also include a second battery door to fit both the new and existing Xbox Wireless Controllers.

What’s on the Horizon

Today, Designed for Xbox is partnering with over 34 gaming brands around the world and have expanded our licensed accessories in categories such as accessibility, PC, Cloud Gaming, and even American Girl. But we aren’t finished! We will continue to expand the Xbox ecosystem with innovative products and experiences, all while maintaining a level of quality we are proud of. The Designed for Xbox program’s mission has always been to enhance the user experience on Xbox by building quality consumer products from brands they love. Our partners have been wonderful supporters of Xbox, and for that, we are excited to continue building these great relationships in the next generation of gaming. We’re also thrilled to have new partners joining the program to deliver new and unique game experiences:

I see both WD Black and Seagate Gaming on their list of partners. I'm curious whether WD will be licensed to make plug in external SSDs?

Regards,
SB

I wonder if the Kinect will work with XBSX. Mine is still in the box. Got it before it was discontinued.

there was a photo roaming around of kinect adventures having a xsx tag in the MS store.

kRB8HjD.jpg

Once again, Microsoft already clearly specified Kinect is not compatible with Series X, all the way back in July.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/16/players-first-you-are-the-future-of-gaming/
It’s our intent for all Xbox One games that do not require Kinect to play on Xbox Series X at the launch of the console.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/16/...me-support-backward-compatible-feature-kinect

“There’s no way for Kinect to work,” confirms Spencer in an interview with The Verge. The rear of the Xbox Series X, just like the Xbox One X, does not include a dedicated Kinect port, and Microsoft won’t be supporting the USB Kinect Adapter it discontinued back in 2018 after killing off the Kinect in 2017.

As a guy who does things with a soldering iron... The Kinect adapter does nothing but supply enough power to the Kinect to function. Xbox One's Kinect is a USB3 device that just requires more power, and you can literally use a USB cable and a cheap wall wort power adapter (and a soldering iron) to make one work on an S or X. I know this because I've done it for people who weren't willing to spend $200 on the adapter when it was worth that much.

If Series X doesn't support the Kinect it's only because MS doesn't want it to. Maybe because of support. Maybe because they want to sell all the backwards compatible games digitally and they don't want the hassle of people buying them who don't own a Kinect. But there is a way for it to work, they just don't want it to. And I don't think many people will really be that upset about it.

Once again, Microsoft already clearly specified Kinect is not compatible with Series X, all the way back in July.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/16/players-first-you-are-the-future-of-gaming/

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/16/...me-support-backward-compatible-feature-kinect

“There’s no way for Kinect to work,” confirms Spencer in an interview with The Verge. The rear of the Xbox Series X, just like the Xbox One X, does not include a dedicated Kinect port, and Microsoft won’t be supporting the USB Kinect Adapter it discontinued back in 2018 after killing off the Kinect in 2017.

I really liked Kinect, the initial idea for Kinect 2 I thought was quite good. I think it failed to get the dev time before launch due to the total U turn DRM. The lack of GPU power Vs PS4 and it taking more away for a £100 premium was a death blow.

With Series X having flops to burn against PS5 the 0.1tf that I think it uses could easily be spared, heck they could double the budget and make it a little more accurate :)

All the talk of spatial audio, if they could track your head as well as the game env just think how good the immersion could be. VR levels but without anything on your head!

We likely won't see any form of Kinect technology show up on Xbox until they're ready to commit to VR or AR.
If Kinect's history has proven anything, it's that some people will buy it. I mean, it's the best selling accessory in history, right? And the S/X Kinect adapters did sell for $200+ to some people. I think the safe strategy for MS is to avoid it as a pack in and if you want to release it later, bundle it with a killer app. Something like VR or whatever, and enable Kinecct BC at the same time.

I'm consistently amazed that we still don't have a Kinect like tie in for VR.

Well, the camera system (hardware, alogrithms, software, etc.) on both HoloLens and Windows VR headsets is derived from the tech and research used in Kinect. HoloLens having a more advanced system while Windows MR headsets having a more basic system.

Research continues in that area, but it's just not focused on "motion gaming" at the moment.

Regards,
SB

Well, the camera system (hardware, alogrithms, software, etc.) on both HoloLens and Windows VR headsets is derived from the tech and research used in Kinect. HoloLens having a more advanced system while Windows MR headsets having a more basic system.
Apple own the tech and the patents used by Kinect; they bought PrimeSense back in 2013. Microsoft were only ever a licensee. HoloLens 2 was announced at last year's Build but Kinect feels dead. As cool as that tech was I think it's overkill for VR.

Apple own the tech and the patents used by Kinect; they bought PrimeSense back in 2013. Microsoft were only ever a licensee. HoloLens 2 was announced at last year's Build but Kinect feels dead. As cool as that tech was I think it's overkill for VR.

Is there such a thing as overkill when tracking body position in VR?

Is there such a thing as overkill when tracking body position in VR?
It's really the choice of technology. To overcome the limitations of stereoscopic cameras you're doing a lot of estimation in terms of depth of relative body parts from the camera. The relative position of 3-axis sensors in the controllers, coupled with some in the headsets is infinitely more precise and isn't reliant on lighting conditions. So it's about the relative cost of a good cameras versus inexpensive sensors. Kinect's tech was sensible back in 2013 but there are other options available today that skirt the need for a relatively expensive camera array and complex software. LiDAR is also an option.

Back