Nvidia Ampere Discussion [2020-05-14]

well thank you. I was going to go get my measuring tape and take a gander but i don't have to now.

Only thing worrying me with the 3080 is the 10gigs.

my guess is if AMD is competitive with navi 2 we might see a 3080ti with 20 gigs ?

My case is going to be very close. Max card length with front fans installed is 31.5 cm. But I'd like to have my aio mounted in the front. It's only a single-fan cpu aio radiator, so I'm hoping it can mount high enough that it'll give the card clearance. I'd rather have it on the intake, I think, than having that gpu heat passing through it on the exhaust. My case has a lot of fans so it shouldn't be an issue either way.

well thank you. I was going to go get my measuring tape and take a gander but i don't have to now.

Only thing worrying me with the 3080 is the 10gigs.

my guess is if AMD is competitive with navi 2 we might see a 3080ti with 20 gigs ?

My guess is no TI version. But 3070 16gb and 3080 20gb will be done by partners.

$100 and $200 extra, respectively?

I've no idea of doubling the vram cost. I think It will depend on the competition too. If rdna2 gpus can compete and have more vram, some marketing departments will like to see a big "16GB" and "20GB" sticker on the boxes, sooo maybe they will try to keep the price increase to a minimum...

Not sure how official this one is:

NVIDIA-GeForce-Ampere-SM-Layout_HardwareLuxx_large.jpg

The last time a SM had 128 FP32 ALUs, it still featured 8 TMUs.
I would be surprised that just doubling FP32 without scaling TMUs can explain the big gains shown in games.
I have a keen interest in lots of TMUs, for what I'm working on, so I'm a little biased here.
proxy.jpg

My case is going to be very close. Max card length with front fans installed is 31.5 cm. But I'd like to have my aio mounted in the front. It's only a single-fan cpu aio radiator, so I'm hoping it can mount high enough that it'll give the card clearance. I'd rather have it on the intake, I think, than having that gpu heat passing through it on the exhaust. My case has a lot of fans so it shouldn't be an issue either way.
ha ! i have the same set up but i have 2 fans on my radiator . I wanted to put my radiator on the top of my case but it was to large lol.

3080 shitting on the 2080ti.

price/performance ratio, the 3080 is incredible, with DLSS 165fps at 1440p on all games is going to be possible.

I am currently saving money for a new Ampere GPU, dunno which one. I easily achieve 1080p 165fps when playing Battlefield 1 with my current rig but the upscale of a 1440p native monitor from 1080p is never good. I am happy to run the game at that framerate though, over a few pixels.

Back