Shader Compilation on PC: About to become a bigger bottleneck?

Not running DX 12 enabled software and hardware?
II have a ryzen 7 and a 2070
when in the 90's was Doom Eternal, Control, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Mechwarrior 5, Rage 2, Borderlands 3 ,Just Cause 4, Far Cry 5, ect ect ect released ;)

Last edited:
what non dx12 hardware do i have ? I have a ryzen 7 and a 2070
when in the 90's was Doom Eternal, Control, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Mechwarrior 5, Rage 2, Borderlands 3 ,Just Cause 4, Far Cry 5, ect ect ect released

I figured you'd still be running Windows ME or Windows 7 or some only DX11 OS.

Back to my question I know horizon zero dawn suffers from this (dont own it) and I do remember there was a few seconds delay in battlefield 2 where it said something like "optimising shaders"
but apart from that I dont remember experiencing this massive delay what games does it happen in ?

Back to my question I know horizon zero dawn suffers from this (dont own it) and I do remember there was a few seconds delay in battlefield 2 where it said something like "optimising shaders"
but apart from that I dont remember experiencing this massive delay what games does it happen in ?

Games with lengthy shader compiling stages that I've personally come across:

No Man's Sky
Dishonored 2/D2: Death of the Outsider
Basically *all* Call of Duty games (you can choose not to precompile shaders, however it increases level load times and on my i59400 system induces 100% cpu and stuttering when resuming a level for ~20 sec or so)
Detroit Become Human
Metro: Exodus

There are games where it's not done pre-game where it can have an effect of course, as mentioned Death Stranding did this where people were wondering why it was so choppy in the first minute while it was compiling shaders. IME Deus Ex: Manking Divided exhibits this during level loads which can increase them significantly, albeit when for whatever reason it can't be spun off into a seperate thread during gameplay that's ideally when you want to do it regardless (my point being though with 'no load' gaming with nvme's you won't have that opportunity going forward).

Dishonored 2 does usually have a lengthy startup but I thought that might be their Denuvo copy protection. Sometimes the game loads quickly, but usually it takes something like 45 seconds? I didn't think the level loads were especially lengthy.

Actually when I think of shader compilation issues the only game that really comes to mind is the Dolphin emulator. They have been trying to solve emulation stuttering and have a few different approaches for pre-compiling shaders now, and of course Vulkan and D3D12 options.

Last edited:
Compared to the ridiculously long, mind numbing monologues, the loading screens were nothing. :)

Last edited:
So I tested Metro Exodus and i'd say it took about 100 seconds thats a big difference from the 10-15 minutes some people are claiming for shader compilation

So I tested Metro Exodus and i'd say it took about 100 seconds thats a big difference from the 10-15 minutes some people are claiming for shader compilation

Now imagine it on an older CPU and maybe on HDD.

It was already explained how it happens at points other than install time.

Now imagine it on an older CPU and maybe on HDD.
While I do own a nvme drive the game itself is installed on a mechanical hard drive.
I did play it on a i5-2400 I dont remember how long it took but I dont remember it being any kind of problem.
I'm just not buying these scare stories that p.c gamers will be waiting 10-15 minutes for shader compilation

Dishonored 2 does usually have a lengthy startup but I thought that might be their Denuvo copy protection. Sometimes the game loads quickly, but usually it takes something like 45 seconds? I didn't think the level loads were especially lengthy.

No it's definitely shader compiling. Nothing to do with Denuvo.

Who is claiming that? It's definitely the case with Horizon and Detroit:Become Human, but no one has claimed that for Metro.

Back