How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Also in that world what's the point of 12TF console either, should just scrap it until can come out with something more competive.
That's the thing, it is not the same world. So there is little point in comparing.

Even considering the crazy 3070 price vs performance jump, that world is where just the GPU still costs as much as (or more than?) a whole console.

But what this means is that people were definitely not expecting figures in the 30's Tflops for the new NV GPUs, and if anything that might be a good signal for the next console refresh in 3-4 years, if we get 'Pro' versions.

A 4TF console still wouldn’t be able to fit in the TPD needed for a portable.

As much as I’m excited about the RTX line, it’s still in another tier of power consumption compared to consoles.

Very true. And on the subject of power, even the 3070 is coming in at 220W. And going by the Techpowerup reviews of the RTX 20xx cards they're likely to hit those stated TDPs and then some.

Chuck on another 8 GB of GDDR6, a moderately fast 8 core CPU and everything else you need, and a console with one in would need to be capable of blowing past the 300W at the wall.

Edit: and even then you wouldn't have locked clocks on the GPU, these graphics cards are power limited and throttle back the boost, similarly to the PS5.

Actually, this makes the XSX with it's guaranteed 12.2 TF look pretty respectable for a small(ish) console.

Edit 2: that's also very quiet.

The reason why the gap is so large, power constraints, noise, size and heat. Those factors are less of a problem in the pc space. And cost, ofcourse.

I haven't seen any die area figures for these Ampere parts yet, have I missed them?

I'm also wondering what, in terms of cost, NVIDIA have wangled from the customer-needing Samsung fabs. If you can get almost as good silicon (I'm blindly presuming TSMC 7nm enhanced is better) at a significantly lower price, you can make up for it by going really wide and sacrificing clocks. In return I'm sure NVIDIA will be gobbling up wafers with the sales from banger cards like these.

Edit: and even then you wouldn't have locked clocks on the GPU, these graphics cards are power limited and throttle back the boost, similarly to the PS5.

NV never has stated boost clocks as max TF performance numbers. They didnt with RTX2000 atleast. Sure hell hope AMD, NV and Intel are not going to start with that. A 10TF product is in between low/mid range of performance for 2020 now, and then RDNA2 hasnt showed yet.

Actually, this makes the XSX with it's guaranteed 12.2 TF look pretty respectable for a small(ish) console.

Wholefully agree, one shouldnt compare to PC products to begin with. I know we all do, but still.

I think its okay for them to miss christmas. They are focusing on the halo sku for launch which will work fine for them.

I guess it does make sense to throw all their wafers and all their marketing spend behind the Series X, and build up that customer base. Maybe the noisy time of Christmas and the launch of a competitor isn't the time to introduce your dual model strategy.

My only concern is that series S versions of launch games might not have the effort put in to chose the best set of tradeoffs, although as long as the gap until Series S launch isn't large enough I suppose developers can always go back and "tweak some sliders" if necessary.

That can continue to supply the low end with X1S in the mean time I guess, and hopefully by, say, spring XSX demand will be being met and 7nm and GDDR6 availability will be better and a lower launch price will be sustainable.

You know it was already leaked before on a Xbox Live Gold card in the same way right?

No I did not know. Thanks for informing me. I was wondering why nobody else seemed as surprised as iI was...

Sorry Rangers but it wasn't leaked before from an Xbox Live Gold card. It was leaked by the side of the outside packaging of the new Xbox Series X controllers that were supposed to be held in storage until November 6. The buyer of the controller said he got it legally from a listing on Offer Up. This latest leak is legit since it was a Xbox One controller ordered directly from Microsoft's Store. Like Eastmen said I'm sure they depleted their regular stock of controllers due to COVID. They had to lean into stock that was really meant to ship later.

Tommy McClain

I think that there's the remote possibility that Microsoft isn't run by complete idiots, and all these leaks are voluntary to prepare the market for the idea of a weaker nextgen console.
It can be that originally they were expecting to have announced the Xbox SS at this point, and weren't able to align all other products' details for what anyway is just an open secret.

I think that there's the remote possibility that Microsoft isn't run by complete idiots, and all these leaks are voluntary to prepare the market for the idea of a weaker nextgen console.

If that was on purpose THEN I think they are idiots. Before that I just thought they were clumsy.

Kind of sad to say this in a way, but... MS needs a jaw dropping moment. They need a tech demo akin to Nvidia's Marbles and Sony's UE5. They need something to cause a splash. Least, it seems that way. Marketing wise.
you're not wrong.

Nvidia put their console in a weird position. I'm super happy for all of MS titles to come to PC and that's where I'll be at to enjoy their titles. But they need to bolster their console for their console consumers. I think the PC crowd is fairly satisfied now.

I think they are fine. The price points put most of this NVidia stuff out of reach for at least 2 years. I'm astonished that people still think most people are actually (like many Beyond3Ders) weighing PC vs. Console. It's not happening in the broader marketplace. My sons and all their friends wouldn't even consider a PC for gaming.

Is anyone here actually surprised that expensive PC video cards are going to outclass XSX soon after launch? Isn't this par for the course?

Back