How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Woah, this is huge.

Gotta be one of the biggest marketing/info fuckups in recent video game history. MS just self-leaked itself. Good lord!

You know it was already leaked before on a Xbox Live Gold card in the same way right?

And that this type of thing happens all the time?

Seriously wondering if no S announcement still means it's coming next year (and the twitter chip guy said the SOC isn't ready this year). Hoping they just come to their senses and cancel it. It pretty much has to be announced in the next month IMO if it's coming in 2020. So it's nut cutting time.

An expensive X and underpowered S allow them to be out of position on both. ;)

Pretty much. Microsoft gonna Microsoft. They're like hey, we've got the winning hand this gen, so nobody, literally nobody, lockhart.

Although being honest I dont think XSX will cost more than PS5 so you're being a little facetious.

Last edited:
Woah, this is huge.

Gotta be one of the biggest marketing/info fuckups in recent video game history. MS just self-leaked itself. Good lord!
Nah it's pretty smart, everyone knows what it is and people want to see the form factor. They don't need to explain much.

You know it was already leaked before on a Xbox Live Gold card in the same way right?

And that this type of thing happens all the time?

Seriously wondering if no S announcement still means it's coming next year (and the twitter chip guy said the SOC isn't ready this year). Hoping they just come to their senses and cancel it. It pretty much has to be announced in the next month IMO if it's coming in 2020. So it's nut cutting time.

Pretty much. Microsoft gonna Microsoft. They're like hey, we've got the winning hand this gen, so nobody, literally nobody, lockhart.

Although being honest I dont think XSX will cost more than PS5 so you're being a little facetious.

I've said it before and will say it again.

I believe XSS was always an early 2021 product.

I still believe the size of the XSS will surprise a lot of people and its extremely power efficient

Woah, this is huge.

This is one of the few times you could attribute fully to covid.
Much like stopping production of the xo's that they eol, just when there was a huge uptick in demand.
They probably had already had the packaging and everything already printed expecting to have already disclosed everything.
Can't really stop that stuff going out now really.

Although, knowing that they could've revealed it in August. But their playing chicken with Sony regarding pricing.
Fact is at this point it has been the worst kept secret anyway, it's just frustrating from our perspective who wants the details.

And it makes it look like their all over the place, and disorganized.

Although, knowing that they could've revealed it in August. But their playing chicken with Sony regarding pricing.

Aside from the game of price chicken, they only made the decision to postpone Halo three weeks ago. That probably required a rewrite/edit of the next event.

We still have nothing on the device itself. Which in itself is a big win for MS.
In the world of 20-36TF. This 4TF console better be portable or something.
Also in that world what's the point of 12TF console either, should just scrap it until can come out with something more competive.

No I did not know. Thanks for informing me. I was wondering why nobody else seemed as surprised as iI was...

Still, my comments aply to that blunder then... And this is not to be taken lightly in my opinion. Even if the rumors had been going 'round on-line, this is still big. It's official confirmation of a Series S. A d MS has let it go public without any explanation? Zero control of the messaging? For a CONSOLE LAUNCH. If this isn't clumsy, I don't know what is.

It's as if some random shit game for nintendo switch came out tomorrow with a stamp saying "fowards compatible with Nindendo Switch Ultra!" and nobody cares to actually explain what that means and Nintendo just pretends nothing happened. what?

It's as if some random shit game for nintendo switch came out tomorrow with a stamp saying "fowards compatible with Nindendo Switch Ultra!" and nobody cares to actually explain what that means and Nintendo just pretends nothing happened. what

As with the S leak, the only people who'd give a monkeys are gaming forumites. The moment it's properly announced even that small % of consumers will no longer care. They'll be lots of chatter if the actual reveal is bad though!

Also in that world what's the point of 12TF console either, should just scrap it until can come out with something more competive.
Well. It’s not quite the same. The Nvidia numbers are 2x Fp32. If they weren’t the numbers would be halved respectively (10-18). At least that is one interpretation. it’s not frankly clear to me what it is just yet.

That still means that AMD can still be competitive at least when looking at raw throughout you’re unlikely to see a situation where double issue fp32 is happening that often (perhaps over time their scheduler/compiler May find more opportunity to take advantage of this in gaming workloads).

when viewed from this lens 12TF actually still seems okay. The 4TF may struggle to keep up as the generation progresses. The benefits of double 2x FP32 is still not really known to me why they did it, so I don’t know if AMD will follow. Time will tell on this one.

Last edited:
Well. It’s not quite the same. The Nvidia numbers are double issue fp32. If they weren’t the numbers would be halved respectively (10-18). That still means that AMD can still be competitive at least when looking at raw throughout you’re unlikely to see a situation where double issue fp32 is happening that often (perhaps over time their scheduler/compiler May find more opportunity to take advantage of this in gaming workloads).

when viewed from this lens 12TF actually still seems okay. The 4TF may struggle to keep up as the generation progresses. The benefits of double issue FP32 is still not really known to me why they did it, so I don’t know if AMD will follow. Time will tell on this one.
I was being facetious, sorry.

If anything you're post just goes to show that just throwing out the TF figure with no context really isn't applicable or helpfull.

It's still about target resolution and that makes a huge difference. How does all those TF figures ballance out when devided by target pixel counts?
I'm not saying that's all there is to it, but that would give a better indication of relative performance.
And that's not taking into account lowering some settings.

Well. It’s not quite the same. The Nvidia numbers are double issue fp32. If they weren’t the numbers would be halved respectively (10-18). That still means that AMD can still be competitive at least when looking at raw throughout you’re unlikely to see a situation where double issue fp32 is happening that often (perhaps over time their scheduler/compiler May find more opportunity to take advantage of this in gaming workloads).

when viewed from this lens 12TF actually still seems okay. The 4TF may struggle to keep up as the generation progresses. The benefits of double issue FP32 is still not really known to me why they did it, so I don’t know if AMD will follow. Time will tell on this one.

Between 10 and 18TF, that would mean the same figures as turing, yet a 80% improvement i games before the GPU even has released.

Between 10 and 18TF, that would mean the same figures as turing, yet a 80% improvement i games before the GPU even has released.
I’m still not exactly clear what 2x FP32 means. I wish I could provide a more definitive answer here.

it would be dangerous at the same time to call it as though it should be running at 1/2 rate to compare. So I apologize for that I’m sure I’ll get slain over it later when someone catches my mistake.

it would appear as though if it’s strictly just more ALU. Then only shader bound things would be affected by the increase. So UE5 should be a beast on this card. But others that are more traditionally Raster bound will not see as much benefit.

I was being facetious, sorry.

If anything you're post just goes to show that just throwing out the TF figure with no context really isn't applicable or helpfull.

It's still about target resolution and that makes a huge difference. How does all those TF figures ballance out when devided by target pixel counts?
I'm not saying that's all there is to it, but that would give a better indication of relative performance.
And that's not taking into account lowering some settings.
No it’s probably my mistake. I’m still waiting for more details here on it.

It could very well just be 20-36 TF of shader performance. Meaning they did not increase the front end to accommodate. Which is why we see only same gains here and there. But games that are entirely compute based (UE5) would theoretically be a big win as it bypasses the majority of the traditional 3D pipeline.

if this is not what 2X FP32 is then i get into
Poor guesses like above.

No it’s probably my mistake. I’m still waiting for more details here on it.

It could very well just be 20-36 TF of shader performance. Meaning they did not increase the front end to accommodate. Which is why we see only same gains here and there. But games that are entirely compute based (UE5) would theoretically be a big win as it bypasses the majority of the traditional 3D pipeline.

if this is not what 2X FP32 is then i get into
Poor guesses like above.

Nanite bypass pipeline only for part of geometry... The engine is not fully compute based ... This is not Dreams...

it would be dangerous at the same time to call it as though it should be running at 1/2 rate to compare. So I apologize for that I’m sure I’ll get slain over it later when someone catches my mistake.

Never should anyone get slain or feel guilt for making misstakes. You have all reason to discuss it.

20-36 TF of shader performance.

Seems like it, i mean, a 3070 outperforms a 2080Ti which is a 14+TF product boosting over that. And thats now, early days. I assume drivers will be optimized etc.
I think most where expecting 30% improvement, not 80 to 100% as per the DF video. The ray tracing increases are even more impressive. No idea about DLSS, more tensor performance means DLSS should provide even better results as compared to Turing?

Anyway, i kind of feel NV had to with this, theres a new generation consoles around the corner, RDNA2 competes with Turing, and Intel starts their journey towards competing in that market (or tries to atleast, they have resources).

Nanite bypass pipeline only for part of geometry... The engine is not fully compute based ... This is not Dreams...
Lumens is all compute as well which makes up the majority of the performance hit.

nanite compute should be for a majority of geometry

Back