Nvidia Ampere Discussion [2020-05-14]

Let's just hope prices don't go up, somehow im sceptical about the prices. AMD probably has some 20TF monsters waiting too, with next generation features. NV is probably aware of that, hence the overkill of hardware and performance, and even software. Seriously impressive graphics in special in the DF video.

Let's just hope prices don't go up, somehow im sceptical about the prices. AMD probably has some 20TF monsters waiting too, with next generation features. NV is probably aware of that, hence the overkill of hardware and performance, and even software. Seriously impressive graphics in special in the DF video.

Given the expected 3080 demand, I expect AIB prices close to $900.

I think 3080 is a much better value than 3070 better performance and 10 gb exactly the fast memory inside Xbox Series X is a must for only 200 dollars more.

EDIT:
My prediction 3080 will be sold out very fast.
Well price/performance, according to the slides, would seem to give a slight advantage to the RTX3070 but not close to the price premium we have seen with previous generations.
RTX3080 looks to be ~<40% faster than the RTX3070 for 40% more.
Compare that to the RTX3090 being more than 2x as expensive as the RTX3080 for ~20% more performance and more memory.

Edit- So I guess we can expect a refresh once Micron gets 16Gb GDDR6X ICs. Summer '21 maybe?

I think 3080 is a much better value than 3070 better performance and 10 gb exactly the fast memory inside Xbox Series X is a must for only 200 dollars more.

EDIT:
My prediction 3080 will be sold out very fast.

It is better value, but 200 dollars/euros/pounds is still a lot of money.

3080 uses 28 billion transistors and clocks at 1710 MHz. We know Xsx APU has only 15 bliion

transistors at 1825 MHz, and the GPU is already close to 2080.

RDNA2 seems not bad considering 3080 has insane number of transistors .

3080 uses 28 billion transistors and clocks at 1710 MHz. We know Xsx APU has only 15 bliion

I really hope your right, so we have more choices. Last generations it was basically only Nvidia.

We pretty much know Big Navi is 80 CUs anyway, compared to 52 on the XSX, so number of transistors is not very relevant. So 50% larger and some higher clocks. Not something that will easily approach the 3080.

Specially since the transistor density of AMD is so much lower than Nvidia's this time around. All 7nm chips from AMD are around 41 Mt/mm2, including the XSX. Ampere A100 on the same 7nm node is 65 Mt/mm2 and even GA102 is higher at 44.5 Mt/mm2 on Samsungs's 8nm. So Nvidia could use more transistors and they did. They also offer way more features in doing so.

Tell me if i'm interpreting this incorrectly but wrt the memory jensen said that unlike normal memory that holds 2 values per cell 0/1 this memory hold 4 values 00/01/10/11 ?

We pretty much know Big Navi is 80 CUs anyway, compared to 52 on the XSX, so number of transistors is not very relevant. So 50% larger and some higher clocks. Not something that will easily approach the 3080.

Specially since the transistor density of AMD is so much lower than Nvidia's this time around. All 7nm chips from AMD are around 41 Mt/mm2, including the XSX. Ampere A100 on the same 7nm node is 65 Mt/mm2 and even GA102 is higher at 44.5 Mt/mm2 on Samsungs's 8nm. So Nvidia could use more transistors and they did. They also offer way more features in doing so.

Theres always the high clocking solution to save the day ;)

Actually I think the entry level RTX 3080's won't increase much. I'm sure there will be some 3080's costing more depending on the model. Evga and some other AIB's offered 2080Ti's for $999.99 when they were selling like hotcakes .

Should depend on how many are produced. I don't see customers lining up for Samsung's foundry business, but then supposedly there's shortages of things like gddr out there.

That being said the 3080 is a great price for the performance. By Nvidia's own numbers about an 35% practical jump over a 2080ti. I'd have considered it, except for the 10gb of ram part. That can't do FFXV at max settings if I'm remembering right. So, yeah, missing out on a 2 year old game (windows version) maxed out with a new $700 card would feel damned bad. And with Crysis remastered showing off 8k textures needing more ram doesn't feel like a one off either.

Still, great hypothetical work Nvidia! The gpu deflate decompression is obvious in hindsight but nice in practice, keeps things like a 970 SSD relevant now, if you could just add appropriate amount of ram...

Last edited:
1.9x perf/Watt

Ampere_PPW_575px.jpg

:LOL:

I am excited by hdmi2.1 honestly. Seems it is finally time to get a new video card. Need a new display as well though...

I was excited by ray tracing before, but it was too slow for price imo. Wish it (3080) could run 4k ray traced hdr >60 fps, but that would be spoiling us I guess .

Back