Future Hardware & Software Purchases

Aren't new consoles born dead taking into account the performance and feature level of the Nvidia 3070? DLSS 2, RT, nVidia Reflex, RT performance on par with non RT performance of the Pascal GPUs, better performance than the RTX 2080Ti....

Here's the typical response, same as it always has been, as it still applies today.

Pricing. You need to add a lot of additional parts to your single component GPU in order to have a system capable of gaming. You need to add CPU, RAM, NVME, PSU, Motherboard, Case, Operating System, Controller, and possibly Optical Drive. Consoles have everything self-contained.

Aren't new consoles born dead taking into account the performance and feature level of the Nvidia 3070? DLSS 2, RT, nVidia Reflex, RT performance on par with non RT performance of the Pascal GPUs, better performance than the RTX 2080Ti....
I guess that matters for the portion of PC gamers who may have been on the fence on going console or PC upgrade/new.

I pretty much decided to go back to PC after seeing PS5 presentation...

It was basically the same the current generation. The XBO and PS4 GPU were looking good at the beginning of 2013 but when the Geforce and AMD PC GPU's came out, it was already then middleware. Same thing seems to be with the new XBSX and PS5 GPU next gen. It will be middleware compared to performance of the top end Nvidia and AMD GPU's no doubt.

Only difference is Nvidia has a gen in hand with regards to RT. AMD's RT has not been tested yet. Still, next-gen consoles will still be impressive if you compare the games that came out current-gen and the hardware the games used i.e. 2013 hardware.

you are a wise guy.
It was basically the same the current generation. The XBO and PS4 GPU were looking good at the beginning of 2013 but when the Geforce and AMD PC GPU's came out, it was already then middleware. Same thing seems to be with the new XBSX and PS5 GPU next gen. It will be middleware compared to performance of the top end Nvidia and AMD GPU's no doubt.

Only difference is Nvidia has a gen in hand with regards to RT. AMD's RT has not been tested yet. Still, next-gen consoles will still be impressive if you compare the games that came out current-gen and the hardware the games used i.e. 2013 hardware.
It's just that I don't remember that back then in the previous generation, but a single beast like the new 3070 eats both new consoles at the same time, and for the price of one.

Only if you have all the other components, so it's only as an upgrade.
still...., you dont only win in performance but in feature level, like paying both for one. I think nVidia's CEO mentioned that they used certain RT feature like the new Xbox, can't remember which one.

A new system -based on the price of my PC + 500$ of the RTX 3070- could be built with 1234$ and you'd have a better performer than both consoles at the same time.

Nintendo is going to benefit from it the most too.

PC wise, I'm already in the process of spec'ing out two brand new PC builds (again), another AMD threadripper build (3990x) with Nvidia RTX 3090 GPUs (if they're available this year). And on the console side of things, a PS5 at launch (if available), and any first-party software.

Yours?
I have a 4970K and 1080Ti. Will most likely upgrade this next-gen with 3080 and Zen3/4.

presentation is another thing nVidia did well and taught a lesson to Sony, Xbox and Nintendo making it fun and fluid, showing the CEO in his own kitchen.

Btw, of both consoles, you get a free console upgrading to the 3070, not only 'cos of performance/features but because you get a Xbox for free, since all Xbox games come to W10.

Last edited:
A new system -based on the price of my PC + 500$ of the RTX 3070- could be built with 1234$ and you'd have a better performer than both consoles at the same time.

Well I probably wouldn't go quite that far! With RT and DLSS out of the picture, I'm guessing the XSX will be at least 2/3 of the speed of the 3070 and possibly more than that. Flop increases don't seem to line up linearly with the performance gains Nivida have talked about, at least going off the vaguish PR stuff they've given so far.

Unfortunately, with RT and DLSS in the picture .... oof. Yeah, we definitely need to be looking some way down the Nvidia stack. :oops:

Suddenly XSX and even more so the PS5 seem to have lost a little of their thunder!

Mind you at least AMD are actually on the playing field with regards to ray tracing this time around! Look on the bright side! :D

I have a 4970K and 1080Ti. Will most likely upgrade this next-gen with 3080 and Zen3/4.

I'm on the same CPU, and with 32GB of ram, but my GPU is archaic. Great thing about the PC is that for the next couple of years of cross gen games, a big NVMe drive and a 3070 will more than do me, and I can swap them into whatever comes next.

Pride / stupidity mean I'll need a 16GB version of that card though. Just because.

Last edited:
I’m not going to upgrade my PC until I feel the need, but these nVidia products are pretty impressive. We’ll see what AMD brings to the table.
they gotta do something, 'cos this looks like the new golden age of GPUs. The 3070 at 500$ has 20 teraflops, crazy.

RTx.png

they gotta do something, 'cos this looks like the new golden age of GPUs. The 3070 at 500$ has 20 teraflops, crazy.

RTx.png
Well, independent benchmarks will tell the tale - bandwidth didn’t improve very much, and it remains to be seen how the performance/FLOP ratio has changed.
But it does seem as if the needle has moved a bit, and all competition will have to take that into account. Heh. :)

Aren't new consoles born dead taking into account the performance and feature level of the Nvidia 3070 at 499$? DLSS 2, RT, nVidia Reflex, RT performance on par with non RT performance of the Pascal GPUs, better performance than the RTX 2080Ti....

The difference is even bigger then for the 2013 machines. Even the SSD seems abit.... ok :p

Im getting PS5 day one, but the true generational leap was more in todays NV showing for me.

Only difference is Nvidia has a gen in hand with regards to RT.

Also DLSS i think, and pure performance maybe. 40TF for the highest end they have, that's four times over the PS5.

Suddenly XSX and even more so the PS5 seem to have lost a little of their thunder!

nvidia dumped all over next gen consoles. As I've kept saying by the time the consoles come out, they'll be at best mid range parts.

It felt like NV did this on purpose, in special when they took IO on the matter. With all the speeds and instant world streaming etc.

Back