Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

PS5 can produce haptic feedback using in game sound effects. Makes it easy for devs to add some basic immersion without having to get dirty with the SDK.

Or page 26 of the tech PDF: ...To reduce this burden, we have created a haptic vibration waveform design environment that anyone can use easily...

I wouldn't say that. The launch dates are near one another. It's only a matter of a few weeks difference between those regions.

Launch last gen started with about 1M preorders in USA and then it was just lineups for the next 5 months to get one IIRC.
So I’m not sure how many they need. They will sell them as soon as they make them.
But I think the assumption is safe to assume they can’t produce PS5 now as fast as they could PS4 in 2013.

so the only take away is that they’ll have lineups for even longer than 5 months to just waltz into a store to get them.
That is assuming The price is right of course.

https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-seemingly-delayed-rest-of-the-world/

looks like the call of duty trailer is showing a staggered launch
https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content...-RoW-Seemingly-Delayed-02-Black-Ops-Image.jpg

wasn't sure if this was talked about.

So perhaps the yield issues are true and sony doesn't have enough consoles ?
Lots of leaps of logic here.

What yield issues? Sony reportedly increased launch orders.

Staggered launch can happen for tons of reasons like server issues, localization, ratings, etc. Why correlate a game’s staggered launch directly to console delays?

We’re also talking matters of weeks, not months. I don’t know how that constitutes a delay. “Worldwide” launches have often had several days separation in different territories.

Staggered launch can happen for tons of reasons like server issues, localization, ratings, etc. Why correlate a game’s staggered launch directly to console delays?

We’re also talking matters of weeks, not months. I don’t know how that constitutes a delay. “Worldwide” launches have often had several days separation in different territories.
Yield issues wouldn’t constitute a shortage of PS5s either. yield issues would be more reflective in price.

Yield issues wouldn’t constitute a shortage of PS5s either. yield issues would be more reflective in price.
Depends entirely on whether the yielding component is a bottleneck. Is the yield the final assembly with LM interface? Yeah, that’s gonna be a problem. SoC? Maybe you can push more wafers to compensate.

It is not that easy. There are contracts for those games, that they run at the original hardware. Just emulating already breaks those contracts and produces many legal issues.
I doubt the contracts are that limiting. Not only because it would limit Sony (or any hardware manufacturer) from making revisions on it's hardware, but I actually think one of the arguments Sony made in court against BLEEM and VGC was that the system ROMs were the defining part of the platform. And those cases were unsuccessful because they weren't distributing the ROMs.

But imagine if a 3rd party could file a suit against Sony because they integrated most of the discreet chips into a single package and used software to emulate some other functions. Or because System Software 7.55 was released and they licensed their software for 7.50

But if the most popular PS1 / PS2 / PS3 games are on PSNow, why BC? There must be diminishing returns on BC, I mean Cerny said something about thousands of man hours going into BC testing for PS5 I belive. Would that not be money better spent elsewhere and put the bloody games on PSNow instead.
I don't think any PS1 games are available on PSNow, unless things have changed recently.

I doubt the contracts are that limiting. Not only because it would limit Sony (or any hardware manufacturer) from making revisions on it's hardware, but I actually think one of the arguments Sony made in court against BLEEM and VGC was that the system ROMs were the defining part of the platform. And those cases were unsuccessful because they weren't distributing the ROMs.

But imagine if a 3rd party could file a suit against Sony because they integrated most of the discreet chips into a single package and used software to emulate some other functions. Or because System Software 7.55 was released and they licensed their software for 7.50

I don't think any PS1 games are available on PSNow, unless things have changed recently.
There are, but not many.

My point still stands, the cost of doing BC is prpbably way more than its worth. Also I do belive that PS3 supported PS1 packed games via emulator, same with PSP.
If they are able to do it there, should be able to do it on PSNow also.
I would love to see how much playtime is on older generations of games on PSNow and the XBox equivalent.

My point still stands, the cost of doing BC is prpbably way more than its worth. Also I do belive that PS3 supported PS1 packed games via emulator, same with PSP.
I would love to see how much playtime is on older generations of games on PSNow and the XBox equivalent.
I saw a pie chart the other day which was from 2018 that said 1.5% of time on XBO was BC gaming.

Yup BC is not a system seller but it certainly recommends you to your fan base. MS has earned a lot of praise for it's very impressive BC program but apart from helping to rehabilitate the brand with the hardcore I think you'd be hard pushed to see a positive impact for MS from having done it.

It is like with every feature. If you don't have it (even if it is not used) many won't buy your product. It is a nice to have feature to sell more of your product. And buy the way, BC games still sell quite well. It may never be profitable (we just don't know because of missing numbers) but if you don't have this feature you may just loose customers you would otherwise have.

PS1 & PS2 BC would be a real selling point to me. i really don't play those games that often, but the possibility to play them is more than enough ;)

It is like with every feature. If you don't have it (even if it is not used) many won't buy your product. It is a nice to have feature to sell more of your product. And buy the way, BC games still sell quite well. It may never be profitable (we just don't know because of missing numbers) but if you don't have this feature you may just loose customers you would otherwise have.

PS1 & PS2 BC would be a real selling point to me. i really don't play those games that often, but the possibility to play them is more than enough ;)

True. The only thing i wanted regarding BC is PS2 and PS4 ofcourse. BC with PS2 should be possible with an emulator i think. Even PCSX2 emulates basically the whole PS2 library enhanced.

It's a nice to have sure but not having it hasn't hurt the PS4 or the Switch in the market

Let's not forget the "yield issue" rumor comes from a random guy at 4chan. (widely echoed by two guys who work at WindowsCentral)

And the "Sony doubling the production" rumor comes from Bloomberg and Nikkei.

Let's not forget the "yield issue" rumor comes from a random guy at 4chan. (widely echoed by two guys who work at WindowsCentral)

And the "Sony doubling the production" rumor comes from Bloomberg and Nikkei.
Well, it doesn't help that Sony is doing a lottery for the most devout PS fans to get a PS5 pre-order.
I don't know if there are specifically yield issues (for either company) but it does seem like there might be a supply problem (COVID) as evidenced by missing dates and missing prices so close to launch.

The impacts of COVID can't be understated. We're not sure how it may affect the entire production chain.

Back