Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

The camera by definition has line of sight to the headset. Isn’t that the ideal place for the antenna? What would be the drawbacks?

The camera could be a very good place to place the antenna but the real challenge for using 60Ghz in the consumer space where the appeal is its high bandwidth but where 60Ghz transceivers have an irregular beam shape and the path for high bandwidth communications is relatively narrow. If you look at what people are currently experimenting with, in terms of cheap, small, and low-power your directional antenna is looking at an optimum bandwidth spread of under 5°. Some really good ones are 20°. These type of micro-waveguides are also much larger than the CMOS sensors that Sony use in the actual cameras.

A lot research is going into this, but it has been going on by people with military-sized budgets for decades. By all means don't take my word for this, just go google "60ghz challenges" for more information than any sane person should read. :yep2:

For me all this talk of mm wave is giving me flashbacks to the awful Intel UWB radios I had to try and defend to my customers when their wireless docks would randomly freak out for no good reason (obviously none of that is the waveforms fault). Radio is very,very, hard as anyone who has watched the JTRS car crash over the years can attest so it wouldn't surprise me if the PSVR team told the PS5 team they made 60Ghz work with a massive sat dish style transceiver but they were still working on making it small enough for the home so drop it from the console.

Reactions: JPT
I wish school health classes talked about the concept of ionizing radiation. Way too many people 5G conspire and bake themselves in the sun without a hint of irony.

It's the information in mobile phone signals that causes cancer. It's too much for our cells to process. Surely everyone knows this basic made up fact without having to have unnecessary education.

Last edited:
https://kotaku.com/ps5-will-only-be-backward-compatible-with-ps4-games-ac-1844905688

A new support page about the transition to next-gen consoles over on Ubisoft’s website appears to confirm that PS3, PS2, and PS1 games will not be backward compatible on PS5.

“Backwards compatibility will be available for supported PlayStation 4 titles, but will not be possible for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, or PlayStation games,” the support page states. While Sony has previously said that PS5 will be backward compatible with PS4 games, it’s never officially said whether any games from past PlayStation consoles will work on the new hardware.

Well, hoped for it, but never expected.
It might not even be a technical problem (at least not PS1 & PS2 games) but a legal nightmare to emulate those old platforms. E.g. MS could easily use an emulator for more or less every classic xbox game but the problems are licenses and to get the OK from the copyright holder (gog.com had a video about this nightmare ^^). Starting with something like this now would really require lots of resources and I don't see Sony is willing to invest this. They tried it back on PSP and PS3 but and sold bc games through their store but it seems that it never paid of for them.
For MS this is "just" a way to get some more customers for their platform, so they must invest. For Sony this isn't a must.

It might not even be a technical problem (at least not PS1 & PS2 games) but a legal nightmare to emulate those old platforms. E.g. MS could easily use an emulator for more or less every classic xbox game but the problems are licenses and to get the OK from the copyright holder (gog.com had a video about this nightmare ^^). Starting with something like this now would really require lots of resources and I don't see Sony is willing to invest this. They tried it back on PSP and PS3 but and sold bc games through their store but it seems that it never paid of for them.
For MS this is "just" a way to get some more customers for their platform, so they must invest. For Sony this isn't a must.
I hoped as well, but I don't have any PS3 games, so it doesn't really affect me. But some of the older gen titles are good titles for younger kids. Whereas we are entering some sort of hyper realism graphics now, the older games are easier for the children to digest. Right now my 2 girls are having a lot of fun with Viva Pinata

Licensing is only an issue when you are distributing the games, like Microsoft does with it's backwards compatible games on Xbox One. If the system plays the game simply by reading the data off the disc like older systems do, that's not a problem. But then, you have put resources into supporting a platform feature that supplies little in return. If you can't sell the games that play on your new console, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Microsoft's BC program worked because they could relicense games, and used those renewed licenses to give many of those games away as games for gold, add to gamepass, etc while earning good will with the community with weekly releases of games even during the dry season for Xbox releases. MS has even hinted that once they started BC, that current games have riders in their licenses to remove many of the licensing roadblocks for future BC. I'm doubtful that Sony was as forward looking with their contracts, and many PS4 games might have licensing issues going forward.

Licensing is only an issue when you are distributing the games, like Microsoft does with it's backwards compatible games on Xbox One. If the system plays the game simply by reading the data off the disc like older systems do, that's not a problem. But then, you have put resources into supporting a platform feature that supplies little in return. If you can't sell the games that play on your new console, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Microsoft's BC program worked because they could relicense games, and used those renewed licenses to give many of those games away as games for gold, add to gamepass, etc while earning good will with the community with weekly releases of games even during the dry season for Xbox releases. MS has even hinted that once they started BC, that current games have riders in their licenses to remove many of the licensing roadblocks for future BC. I'm doubtful that Sony was as forward looking with their contracts, and many PS4 games might have licensing issues going forward.
It is not that easy. There are contracts for those games, that they run at the original hardware. Just emulating already breaks those contracts and produces many legal issues.

It is not that easy. There are contracts for those games, that they run at the original hardware. Just emulating already breaks those contracts and produces many legal issues.

PS2 and PS3 managed this, these hardware devices did not exist when the prior generation PlayStation games were licensed so I assume could not have been included in any agreement?

They did include to some level actual last gen hardware but PS3 I believe moved to some level of emulation before it was removed, some precedent here?

But if the most popular PS1 / PS2 / PS3 games are on PSNow, why BC? There must be diminishing returns on BC, I mean Cerny said something about thousands of man hours going into BC testing for PS5 I belive. Would that not be money better spent elsewhere and put the bloody games on PSNow instead.

I'm not sure how the internet managed to convince itself that the PS5 would support emulating everything, this is like getting disappointed the dark silicon never got turned on. People seem to forget as a community project RPCS3 getting ~60% of titles "playable" is very impressive but as a feature point on my $399-$599 new console that is absolutely rubbish and that's before we get to trying to nail down what "playable" means and what hardware is needed for it.

I'm not sure how the internet managed to convince itself that the PS5 would support emulating everything, this is like getting disappointed the dark silicon never got turned on. People seem to forget as a community project RPCS3 getting ~60% of titles "playable" is very impressive but as a feature point on my $399-$599 new console that is absolutely rubbish and that's before we get to trying to nail down what "playable" means and what hardware is needed for it.
I guess there was hope given what people saw with what MS did. PS4 emulation is fine. I haven’t played any OG XB games yet on BC. Mainly 360 titles and I’ll be doing lots of XBO titles I think. This is all of course hinging on Jensen today lol.

What a day. I’m waiting on “it just works” to determine my next console(s) purchases

From a playstation blog. Just expect that everything written there is PR. ;)
Currently every developer working with the next gen consoles is under some strict NDAs. So every interview we read etc is always PR.
Developers can talk about how much better it is to work with an SSD instead of a HDD (because they know it from the pc), but more or less that's it. Everything else would break the NDAs until they are lifted (or in this case the sonys PR division gave green light for the interview).

Last edited:
Back