The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

As a gay male, I agree. Representation is needed, I don't think anyone's denying that, but I've only watched a few shows that do it right. I don't expect being gay turned out into a big deal, I just want it to be normal, that's it. For instance, I liked the old gay couple in The Expanse or the way gay/bi characters where addressed in Black Sails.
Well, @tongue_of_colicab referenced the new gaming show on Netflix, hence my "what are you on about", since we were talking about something completely different and he didn't specify.

BUT, having seen the first episode of that, indeed there is a segment where this lovely older lady talked about when she was the winner of some Space Invaders tournament in the 70's. At some point she basically said, I'm transgender and back then I was a boy.

Now, first of all, it was literally one sentence and never mentioned ever again. It wasn't a 'big deal', it was probably more to do with the fact that the subsequent footage from that tournament has her looking, well, like a boy, cause until then I'd never have guessed.

Nothing was made of it, never was it mentioned again. Nobody made it "a thing". This is quite literally "representation done right".

The second episode had the story of this black engineer who basically created the concept of cartridges, and all they referenced was that - shock horror - the fact that a black guy even worked at a gaming company, at the time, was unusual. Which it was. Heck, diversity is still a huge issue in the gaming industry.

So, if people like @tongue_of_colicab feel triggered or think that this is 'too much', or that people were tying to make it "a thing", then the problem is people like @tongue_of_colicab who feel that anyone who is not white and straight should be invisible - and from his history on the RPSC forum, it is little surprise that this is how he feels.

Last edited:
Well, @tongue_of_colicab referenced the new gaming show on Netflix, hence my "what are you on about", since we were talking about something completely different and he didn't specify.

BUT, having seen the first episode of that, indeed there is a segment where this lovely older lady talked about when she was the winner of some Space Invaders tournament in the 70's. At some point she basically said, I'm transgender and back then I was a boy.

Now, first of all, it was literally one sentence and never mentioned ever again. It wasn't a 'big deal', it was probably more to do that the footage from that tournament has her looking, well, like a boy, cause until then I'd never have guessed.

Nothing was made of it, never was it mentioned again. Nobody made it "a thing". This is quite literally "representation done right".

The second episode had the story of this black engineer who basically created the concept of cartridges, and all they referenced was that - shock horror - the fact that a black guy even worked at a gaming company, at the time, was unusual. Which it was. Heck, diversity is still a huge issue in the gaming industry.

So, if people like @tongue_of_colicab feel triggered or think that this is 'too much', or that people were tying to make it "a thing", then the problem is people like @tongue_of_colicab who feel that anyone who is not white and straight should be invisible - and from his history from RPSC forum, it is little surprise that this is how he feels.
Oh, my post was a direct reply to that last message, I didn't really look into all the previous conversation (as well as other interactions I don't know/remember).

As you explain it, I agree that this example about this lady is a good representation example, indeed.

Oh, my post was a direct reply to that last message, I didn't really look into all the previous conversation (as well as other interactions I don't know/remember).

As you explain it, I agree that this example about this lady is a good representation example, indeed.

Incidentally, I started watching High Score a couple of days ago; I was distracted by phone or something for a brief moment, I guess, since I missed that aforementioned one sentence. Then, some minutes later as they showed footage about a teenage boy having won the competition I had a brief eyebrow workout until realizing a second later that this was actually the same person. So mentioning the fact seems quite justified and expected, no fuss was made about it indeed.

About the actual content: I like the series a lot so far. I would say I have quite intimate knowledge of the dawn of games and computers, but the stories about e.g. the arcade-modding company and the Nintendo gaming helpline are fresh to me.

Yep. To get back on topic, the whole story of the guys modifying arcade boards, getting sued and then recruited by Atari - and even seeing the internals of arcade boards and all that, after so many years - was really interesting!

Last edited:
For those who haven't seen it yet, the youtube premium series Cobra Kai is now available on Netflix. Both seasons are available. It is set in the Karate Kid universe, 34 years after the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament.
I've not seen the second reason but I really enjoyed the first.

I've been working through my long backlist of series, some I held off because the final season was coming up or I wanted more episodes to binge through at the same time.

I started Netflix series The Rain. It started out as one genre but then took a turn in Season 2. I'm still early on, so not sure how I feel about that change. It's still holding my interests.

Incidentally, I started watching High Score a couple of days ago; I was distracted by phone or something for a brief moment, I guess, since I missed that aforementioned one sentence. Then, some minutes later as they showed footage about a teenage boy having won the competition I had a brief eyebrow workout until realizing a second later that this was actually the same person. So mentioning the fact seems quite justified and expected, no fuss was made about it indeed.

About the actual content: I like the series a lot so far. I would say I have quite intimate knowledge of the dawn of games and computers, but the stories about e.g. the arcade-modding company and the Nintendo gaming helpline are fresh to me.

Okay, I must admit that the third episode was an epic letdown. First half with Roberta & Ken Williams and Richard Garriott was building up nicely, but the main topic... Gayblade? What the hell was that?

For those who haven't seen it yet, the youtube premium series Cobra Kai is now available on Netflix. Both seasons are available. It is set in the Karate Kid universe, 34 years after the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament.

Good tip! A tad cheesy at times but I did quite enjoy it so far, both seasons. I could have done without a certain elderly someone, some things are a little overstretched, and some things you can see coming from a mile away, but I did really enjoy it regardless.

Well the first three leaked, but I haven't seen it on Amazon yet. :|

EDITED BITS: Ah! The first three episodes are available on Prime! (I do have Prime and Netflix, just prefer MPC to the web streaming. :p )

Well the first three leaked, but I haven't seen it on Amazon yet. :|

Its certainly on Prime, the first 3, cause I'm watching them now.

Some good rips on Hawkeye in the first episode of Season 2 of The Boys.

"Lovecraft Country" is interesting as it provides mix of sci-fi and one of our popular topics in the "political" forum . Saw the first episode (1h 9min) and was kinda blown away (did not know about "Sundown" policy in Jim Crow south). Free on Comcast for a few days. .

Netflix series Away is a story about a manned mission to Mars. It has some solid production quality and polish on the human drama aspects, even if it's just the convenient plot tropes per new issue to heighten drama. It feels quite personal. It is so far above and beyond quality of what the Another Life Netflix series offered. The first season is 10 episodes around 50 minutes in length. There may be a second season. I'm only two episodes in and wanting to watch more. The episodes feel like they're longer since it's not entirely filled with action and they're trying to build up characters.

Some good rips on Hawkeye in the first episode of Season 2 of The Boys.

How is season 2? I just linked my TV to my Amazon account. The Prime app feels garbage compared to the Netflix app.

Back