Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Textures such as those are nice nice and tasteful, but in a way, I consider full out smoothness as a texture in itself too. It's a bold design for them to go that minimalistic in my opinion, a I bet there were voices inside MS begging for them to go with something more "futuristic" or "jazzy". I'm glad they did not sucumb to those instincts.

This smooth black alien cube almost seems like the 2001 monoliths from jupiter. I mean, if your design sensibilities are akin to those of kubrik, you are doing it right.

Open canvas to give users a means to skin it how they want. I thought they may want to open it up to Design Labs, but I think they will stay with vinyl skins instead.
Tommy McClain

I think it would be relatively easy for both Xbox themselves and third parties to manufacture and sell shells that the end user could just slide on and off the outside of the machines and are held on by friction or simple clips, i hope we see stuff like that that could be collected and reused rather than one-time-use adhesive skins and custom consoles.

Last edited:
I think it would be relatively easy for both Xbox themselves and third parties to manufacture and sell shells that the end user could just slide on and off the outside of the machines and are held on by friction or simple clips, i hope we see stuff like that that could be collected and reused rather than one-time-use adhesive skins and custom consoles.

Maybe, I think the jury is still out on that. More likely to believe a Design Labs system where you buy it already colored how you want. But even that would be expensive.

Tommy McClain

No 8k 60, hdr or not. But that's probably not terrible, whatever.

Or make use of chroma subsampling? 4K60 with HDR10/HLG at 4:2:2 has an HDMI data rate of 17.82 Gbps. Should doubling the resolution or doubling the frame rate result in a needed HDMI data rate above 40 Gbps?

4K with 12-bit Dolby vision and 4:4:4 requires 13.37 Gbps for 30 fps while requiring 24.06 Gbps for 60fps. It seems like only 12-bit Dolby Vision with no chroma subsampling will need the full 48 Gbps data rate at 8K/60.

The XSX isn't a PC so I don't see the need to forego chroma subsampling.

Last edited:
Or make use of chroma subsampling? 4K60 with HDR10/HLG at 4:2:2 has an HDMI data rate of 17.82 Gbps. Should doubling the resolution or doubling the frame rate result in a needed HDMI data rate above 40 Gbps?

4K with 12-bit Dolby vision and 4:4:4 requires 13.37 Gbps for 30 fps while requiring 24.06 Gbps for 60fps. It seems like only 12-bit Dolby Vision with no chroma subsampling will need the full 48 Gbps data rate at 8K/60.

The XSX isn't a PC so I don't see the need to forego chroma subsampling.

Uhh, quadruple the resolution. Edit - Hmm, it should be straight forward but maybe there's extra data per frame I'm missing, and I'd have to dive into the exact specs. Anyway, 8k 60 4:2:0 10 bit might be just out of reach, but sdr doable, from the best source I can find.

Last edited:
Uhh, quadruple the resolution. That being said, hadn't considered 4:2:0, that comes in just under budget for SDR at 8k 60.

Oops. LOL.

Ultra High Speed rated HDMI cable rated at 48 Gbps (4 lanes at 12 Gbps) are listed as supporting 10K with static or dynamic HDR at 120 Hz. Supposedly this is used in conjunction with DSC 1.2 and chroma subsampling at 4:2:0.

https://www.hdmi.org/spec21Sub/EightK60_FourK120

• 4K50/60
  • 4K100/120
  • 5K50/60
  • 5K100/120
  • 8K50/60
  • 8K100/120
  • 10K50/60
  • 10K100/120

Last edited:
feeling that RT... dayum that looks good.

now we need to see the actual game instead of a movie-render

ANNOUNCING MINECRAFT LIVE!
Join us on October 3rd for our annual Minecraft celebration!

Well, well, well. It’s that time of year again. No, I am not referring to my annual workout. That was last week, and I can assure you that I will be making it a biennial affair from now on. Obviously I can only be talking about one thing: Minecraft Live! Tune in on October 3 at 12 EST on Minecraft.net/Live for what the Minecraft Live team are not-so-humbly calling “an event that will happen”!

Did that trailer not explain what Minecraft Live is? Well, it shouldn’t have to. That’s what this post is for, allegedly. Minecraft Live is the new version of our annual live show, which has had many names such as MINECON Live and MINECON Earth. Why the name change? Would you ask rap superstar and underrated actor Sean Combs a.k.a P. Diddy a.a.k.a Puff Daddy that? No, you would not. What you will do instead is tune in to Minecraft Live on October 3rd at 12 EST to get answers to pertinent questions about what the rest of Mojang Studios have been working on all year. Will Seanothy and I be there? Maybe. I need to check our schedule.

The Minecraft Live team begged me to focus on the actual event, so I guess I better mention what you can expect. The main thing you need to know is that this year the celebration takes place online. Due to the impact of Covid-19, Mojang Studios has delayed Minecraft Festival until 2022 and will no longer be involved with official community events. Until then, we’re going to bring the party directly to your device and we’ve got all of our usual goodies lined up for you! Join us on Minecraft.net/Live for updates, mob votes, news, and delightful banter. Oh, and chickens. Lots and lots of chickens.

LOL

Tommy McClain

Full Post @ https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/02/designed-for-xbox-new-look-continuous-compatibility/

Designed for Xbox – A New Look, Continuous Compatibility

At Xbox we’ve long believed that accessories are a critical part of the gaming experience. Whether it’s controllers, headsets, or storage for that catalog of games we know you’ve collected over the years, accessories enhance the user experience on Xbox. Since the launch of the original Xbox, the Designed for Xbox program has focused on engaging with partners to build the best possible accessories for Xbox across a range of categories. With the launch of Xbox Series X, we’re committed to continuous compatibility, as we know that how and where an accessory works is incredibly important to the overall experience.

Today marks the beginning of the next generation for the Designed for Xbox program. We’ll discuss compatibility of your favorite Xbox One accessories, introduce the new Designed for Xbox look, and share some new partnerships we are especially excited for. These new partnerships represent new experiences for our gamers on Xbox Series X and can’t wait to hear what you think.

Continuous Compatibility

Before we dive into what’s new, let’s talk about tried and true. Many folks are wondering what a new console generation means for the products they already own and love. If you have a favorite Xbox One accessory, like a SteelSeries headset that fits just right or a Thrustmaster Wheel you want to put more mileage on, you’re in luck! Designed for Xbox is working hard with our partners to ensure continuous compatibility across as many products as possible.

Any officially licensed Xbox One accessory that connects to your console wired or wirelessly via USB will work on Xbox Series X. Additionally, any headsets that connects via your Xbox Wireless Controller’s 3.5mm port will also be supported.

Some gaming headsets that utilize an optical cable may require a firmware update to support game and chat audio over USB on Xbox Series X. Soundbars and headsets that do not receive updates may be connected directly to your televisions optical port. Starting this holiday, many Designed for Xbox controller charging solutions will also include a second battery door to fit both the new and existing Xbox Wireless Controllers.

What’s on the Horizon

Today, Designed for Xbox is partnering with over 34 gaming brands around the world and have expanded our licensed accessories in categories such as accessibility, PC, Cloud Gaming, and even American Girl. But we aren’t finished! We will continue to expand the Xbox ecosystem with innovative products and experiences, all while maintaining a level of quality we are proud of. The Designed for Xbox program’s mission has always been to enhance the user experience on Xbox by building quality consumer products from brands they love. Our partners have been wonderful supporters of Xbox, and for that, we are excited to continue building these great relationships in the next generation of gaming. We’re also thrilled to have new partners joining the program to deliver new and unique game experiences:

Back