How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Yes, I want to see something that backs up claims of XSX having significantly better h/w or at least the extra power MS keep banging on about.

Great link to a massive PDF, any takers to find the needle?

Other than that, logic dictates they will release more...because they can’t release less
upload_2020-8-29_22-11-52.png

If they keep the same quality of horizon's porting, are the pc users that will get hangry

In business eyes it only makes sense that the superior version of the game is on the mother platform and not with the competition. Throw some candy and the family will grow :yes:

Lol, there’s that needle!

Earth shattering news indeed and confirmation Sony is turning in MS regarding PS5 exclusives.
hey man need to get your mind sharp. Needle in a hay stack games are proven to do that if you play 10 minutes a day. Download know on your favorite app store

Price matters. It's safe to say PS5 is dead in the water at $699 or more and will not realistically be less than $399. I think recent rumors of $399/ $499 are correct.

This means I believe MS will be $299/$499.

If I were running the show I would thrown in 6+ months of GamePass with it and make sure Flight Sim and Gears Tactics for Xbox are ready for launch and some Gears 5 RT patch as well.

I don’t believe in a low price console. It’s not going to fix their issues. Series S should
Be a low powered laptop convertible; it would
Come in higher but you’d gain a laptop as a result.

Leave Series X as the living room device.

That's what I've been saying! :D

Tommy McClain

In addition to that, I'd certainly pick up a $130-$150 range xCloud only device that has solid controls, screen, and integration with the XBox and Microsoft services.

That's what I've been saying! :D

Tommy McClain
I know :) but the TDP is still be a little out of reach To be as small or as thin as a surface. It’s more like dell laptop range. And it will get heated up because it needs to be pushed hard by developers.

I know :) but the TDP is still be a little out of reach To be as small or as thin as a surface. It’s more like dell laptop range. And it will get heated up because it needs to be pushed hard by developers.

Definitely. Ryzen 4000 range at $700-$800 range. So up to a $300 premium over the Series X for a portable 1080p experience. That would have made people sit up & take notice. Make the screen modular & you can have a bigger/faster display, then upgrade the storage for a system over $1000.

Tommy McClain

I think Lockart at $299 is a viable way to get budget conscious gamers onto GamePass. Not needed when xCloud is more stable, but needed for the next 5 years

I disagree. In 5 years you should be able to make a system more powerful than the xsx at sub $300 prices but capable of all the newest features. I think the old days of spending time and money shrinking hardware and trying to cost reduce that way is gone. Since they are using pcs they can simply go with a zen 5 with rdna 4 or whatever amd has.

Remember even Xcloud need to get upgrade , so i doubt we will see MS totally stop new consoles. In fact I think xcloud may be the only reason they will still have consoles. They will need to stay at the forefront of tech or competitors will pass them by.

Also even with a great 5 g connection or fast wifi your still not going to have the same experience as you would with a dedicated piece of hardware

" We will explore expanding our 1st party titles to the PC platform"

Not saying anything either way but my understanding of the word explore seems to be at odds with all these stories that's hitting my Google feed.

They've started releasing games on pc with HZD and they will continue to. We don't know which or how many but at the start of a console generation there will be few people who own the new systems. I doubt TLOU2 would have done as well as an exclusive ps5 title or GOT both came out this year on the ps4 which has sold over a 100m units.

Why is sony afraid of microsoft when it comes to pricing? This is the real question here.

Maybe XSS will really sell for half as much as XSX?

They've started releasing games on pc with HZD and they will continue to. We don't know which or how many but at the start of a console generation there will be few people who own the new systems. I doubt TLOU2 would have done as well as an exclusive ps5 title or GOT both came out this year on the ps4 which has sold over a 100m units.

And just to manage people's expectations about what games will come to PC when, this Sony also said this:

SIE aims to achieve robust revenue growth by accelerating the virtuous cycle that has been established for the PlayStation Platform. This entails increasing active users and play time, enhancing network services and reinforcing content IP so that consumers select PlayStation as their platform of choice.
If first party games come to PC, it won't be quick, Sony's gaming IP sells PlayStations. I still think the HZD port was about getting non-PS4 PC players hooked on the franchise so they may consider a PS5 when the sequel lands. And as I've said before, in what turned into a pages long argument discussion demonstrating that a lot of PC owners don't understand how their PCs actually work, many games just won't work on PC. Ratchet & Clank A Rift Apart is not going to run on any current PC, it simply can't load data fast enough. :nope:

Why is sony afraid of microsoft when it comes to pricing? This is the real question here.

Maybe XSS will really sell for half as much as XSX?
I explained before, it’s a bit like bidding on eBay- you know your limit and what you’d like to pay, but you don’t show your hand until you have to, that way you pay the least you need to.

Now reverse that into setting a price for something, they both know their preference on price, but let’s say one is more expensive than expected? Let’s say MS is expected to be 500, so Sony set PS5 at 500 but are making a 100 loss. Then MS release at 550 - Sony just lost 50 per unit x millions.

And just to manage people's expectations about what games will come to PC when, this Sony also said this:

SIE aims to achieve robust revenue growth by accelerating the virtuous cycle that has been established for the PlayStation Platform. This entails increasing active users and play time, enhancing network services and reinforcing content IP so that consumers select PlayStation as their platform of choice.
If first party games come to PC, it won't be quick, Sony's gaming IP sells PlayStations. I still think the HZD port was about getting non-PS4 PC players hooked on the franchise so they may consider a PS5 when the sequel lands. And as I've said before, in what turned into a pages long argument discussion demonstrating that a lot of PC owners don't understand how their PCs actually work, many games just won't work on PC. Ratchet & Clank A Rift Apart is not going to run on any current PC, it simply can't load data fast enough. :nope:

I don't think pc gamers will go backwards to a ps5. PC gamers want powerful hardware to push the limits of resolution and frame rate. The ps5 will already be outclassed before it comes out. If the $1400 price tag of nvidia's new flagship card is real and it does require a 12 pin connector there is no way a ps5 will keep up. I mean that card alone is rumored to have another 8 gigs of ram over the total amount of what the ps5 has.

I think its more likely games will find another life on the pc a year or two after release on the ps5

Back