Epic Sues Apple and Google due to Fortnite getting pulled [2020-08-13, 2021-05-03]

Well in the US credit card use is very high. Unless your credit rating is poor, most people can get cards and they do, for the rewards and other benefits.

I would think most of Apple Pay are credit card transactions for American users at least.

Are credit card transactions more expensive?
yes

at least in nz they are
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10867264
Retailers are typically charged 1.5 per cent to 2 per cent for every credit-card transaction, but some charge customers as much as 5 per cent for the privilege of paying by card.
This is also true in other countries eg USA
now if you dont see it at the shop you go to then the retailer has taken that 'hit' most likely by raising the prices of everything a fraction to subsidize those paying with credit cards, normally in NZ you will see the sign, paying with creditcard adds 2% to the price (note this is only for creditcards, if you pay with eftpos, 'debitcard' then there are no extra fee's

https://blog.eftpos.co.nz/blog/tips-for-applying-a-credit-card-surcharge
Eftpos-NZ-Surcharge-Tips-POS%20Sign.jpg

Info for USA
https://www.merchantmaverick.com/credit-card-surcharges/
USA seems a bit higher than nz, 3-4% extra

Last edited:
I’ve seen NZ restaurants charge 2-3% extra for using cards. But big chain stores and supermarkets don’t. I made many 5-10 NZD charges at supermarkets, always using cards, especially contactless.

I wonder if I made a charge over 1000 NZD like for electronics whether the big chain stores would impose a surcharge.

But in the US credit card surcharges are very rare.

But in the US credit card surcharges are very rare.

Because any surcharges for credit card payments are against the business contracts in the US. This is something Mastercard / Visa / American Express / Discover enforces on businesses who want to process their payments. Those processing services are then forced to pass that restriction on to their clients.

The only way to circumvent that is by offering Cash discounts. It can never be expressed as a CC surcharge.

Because any surcharges for credit card payments are against the business contracts in the US. This is something Mastercard / Visa / American Express / Discover enforces on businesses who want to process their payments. Those processing services are then forced to pass that restriction on to their clients.

The only way to circumvent that is by offering Cash discounts. It can never be expressed as a CC surcharge.

Right and in my neck of the woods at least, you don't really see them offer cash discounts.

Back in the day though, I did buy an HDTV from Circuit City with a "discount" in the sense that I got a TV stand included for a price which was several hundred less than what was stickered on the floor for both the TV and stand combined.

And I used a credit card for that transaction.

Right and in my neck of the woods at least, you don't really see them offer cash discounts.
What they do is make everything in the store MORE expensive to cover this 3-4% surcharge.
not 3-4% more expensive prolly only 1%, as the ppl that pay with debit cards/cash are subsidizing the ppl using credit cards

but make no mistake things cost more because of the creditcards

I prefer an honest system

eg new ps5, xbox x = $499 with cash or $514 with credit card

Sure but merchants can't raise prices above that of the competition.

So credit card fees are a cost of business, whether they're reflected in prices or not.

Consumers will go to another place that take credit cards rather than those that do not, unless there's a significant cash discount.

Merchants are charged interchange fees which are used to subsidize your credit cards' rewards program. Credit cards take a portion as profit but use the rest on things like airline miles.

Merchants are charged interchange fees which are used to subsidize your credit cards' rewards program. Credit cards take a portion as profit but use the rest on things like airline miles.

Yes. And they still have terms and conditions in the merchant agreements that prohibit them from charging additional fees for CC or Debit Card sales.

Interestingly, that's also how Privacy.com can offer free services to consumers to have virtual credit cards and all sorts of other benefits for consumers, by making their money through interchange charges.

Way back in the day (Late 80s maybe early 90s) you had to front some outrageous amounts (maybe $30K) to get an agreement with MC or Visa for payment processing. You also had to show your could securely store all paper receipts for your sales for 7 years. That is how the middle man market of payment processing got started, because small time places couldn't afford dealing with the CC companies directly. Others saw a market for providing such a commodity service, and have been in the market ever since.

Today its far easier, small time shops have many choices to pick from.

You also have places like USA ePay offer the services but they don't sell directly to businesses so they have their own reseller like BillingTree to do that. Thats a song and dance itself, since BT isn't the one legally responsible for any breaches or financial trouble, yet usa ePay doesn't have any of the assets so if anything goes wrong their liability is very limited. Typical shell game to minimize their legal responsibilities. If you have a snazzy CFO or great negotiator you can get the per transaction fee down to a mere flat fee per with no percentage of the transaction. I think their base pricing would otherwise be $0.25 per in addition to 2.5%

Things have changed now they offer you money to go cashless
https://money.cnn.com/2017/07/14/news/companies/visa-no-cash-restaurant-initiative/index.html

Note of course it’s not really $10000.
It’s just a deceptive advertising ploy

Hmmm here it says 5% extra for credit cards, are Americans in the whole really not aware that credit cards make things more expensive?

I'd say we'll over 90% of Americans are unaware. Of anything. And everything. No, that's not a RPSC view. Nor is it a view of outside looking in. That's a view of having lived my entire life here in various locations.

Nearly everyone lives paycheck to paycheck. Nearly everyone has debt (outside of major items like home and auto). Nearly everyone pays the minimum payment for their monthly credit card bill. A large portion of users overdrawn their bank accounts, because they can not balance, they see their balance is higher than they thought so they withdraw the money when in reality any checks they wrote were not cashed yet. I have seen many go into department stores to pay their store specific monthly bill only to come out with adding another $300 to it by purchasing even more clothes because "it was on sale".

Kiwi's are just the same with credit.

Though they perhaps are more aware of the CC tax as like I say often its added on extra to your costs if you pay with CC.
Actually thats one thing I don't like about shopping in the USA or staying in a hotel etc, they will advertise $100 & then you go to pay & its like $120. I think thats illegal in NZ
though I suppose if they're OK with their president being a pathological liar than they must a have higher BS acceptance than me :rolleyes:

You would absolutely hate the cable industry monthly bills. Well everyone should. They are so full of hidden expenses. They show a rate of $50 for cable TV. Then they charge a $11 broadcast fee for local channels. Then they charge $14 for regional sports channels. Then they charge $10 for the required set top device. Oh, you want it on 4 more different rooms, well thats another $40. Oh, you want DVR functionality, well thats another $10 to $15 monthly charge. They also charge you a local access fee too. All the additional and hidden fees can cost more than the service.

Its so much easier tpand cheaper to switch to a streaming service where all the fees and dvr is built into their monthly fee. And yet so many millions still have the service.

Anyways, nothing new related to Apple and Epic yet. I imagine Epic will revise FortNite to keep their dev license while their lawsuit tracks through the courts.

Last edited:
Back