Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to be a very special game at 60fps.
c10WOnw.gif

I get what you saying but it also adds to the story and harks back to what Cerny was saying that devs can do what they want now without worrying about streaming limitations. I imagine the story about there being dimensional tears was there because it's what they wanted to do and not because it's a marketing stint because of the SSD.

The SSD just facilitates them into doing what they want.
I get all that, all I'm saying is that the most impressive example of them swapping assets on the fly seam to be the areas with no or little player input, that move through a couple of set pieces before landing in another area where you can again move around and actually play. This isn't unlike a loading hallway, or something like the Arkham series did where it would blend into a prerendered cinematic while it loaded in new assets. It's cool that it's doing it in real time, but it isn't changing gameplay in any measurable way.

^^ the cinematic/narrative experience was improved by the SSD; by the game design is still largely the same (from what we’ve seen so far).

I’m confident it will change in time when they figure out how to do it well

I get all that, all I'm saying is that the most impressive example of them swapping assets on the fly seam to be the areas with no or little player input, that move through a couple of set pieces before landing in another area where you can again move around and actually play. This isn't unlike a loading hallway, or something like the Arkham series did where it would blend into a prerendered cinematic while it loaded in new assets. It's cool that it's doing it in real time, but it isn't changing gameplay in any measurable way.

For the moment we don't know how the portal are working for example if you watch carefully the yellow portal, they switch from red to yellow. I suppose when they are red they have a different purpose if you use them.

Last edited:

But by the context that was the beginning of the story and the introduction to gameplay of the portals, so this is normal.
As the game progresses we can expect that the player will be able to use the portals freely.

This isn't unlike a loading hallway, or something like the Arkham series did where it would blend into a prerendered cinematic while it loaded in new assets. It's cool that it's doing it in real time, but it isn't changing gameplay in any measurable way.

It seemed very much on rails but it looked like you still had control, at least while grinding the rail section.

I'm not an expert, but those don't look like ray traced shadows to me. I guess I would be expecting it to be softer as it moves away from the object. I think you're just looking at higher quality shadow maps for everything.
If you want them to be realistic, yes.

You can use RT and have same world area blur as with shadow maps or blur sharp shadows in screenspace.

Back