How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

True, but the difference between SDR and HDR will be quite noticeable even to Jane Consumer.
A very important component to really see 4K properly imo.
With each pixel being so small, each pixel needs to have very good control and range over it's own brightness and colour to really make the 4K effect pronounced.

True, but the difference between SDR and HDR will be quite noticeable even to Jane Consumer.

Yeah, that's why I waited to jump in on 4k until I could get a decent HDR implementation at a low price. Going to wait a while longer before I get another one. I want a 65" instead of the 55" I have, but the wife thinks 55" is big enough. She don't know how wrong she is. LOL

Tommy McClain

Don't underestimate $100. That is a lot of money to a lot of people. And again, in every console selling scenario where a more powerful option was presented for more money, it sold less than the cheaper option. The number of people prioritising performance over cost are in a very small minority. :yep2:

To illustrate: This is from December of last year. Before mass unemployment.

https://cdn.statcdn.com/Infographic/images/normal/20323.jpeg

https://www.statista.com/chart/2032...ngs in the U.S.,45 percent have nothing saved.

If you're playing on PC that's fine, but it's expensive I wouldn't give people the wrong impression about it. To compete with XSX and PS5 you're going to need at least a 5700XT/2070 performance level card. Those are not cheap at all.

Gaming PC's have never been cheap in comparison to consoles :p

This whole concept of sticking it to MS because they have their games on PC is non-sensical.

Exactly this, PC gaming isn't for everyone, and aside from that, many pc gamers have both xbox and a gaming pc. MS's games have generally always been available on both PC and Xbox, even with the 360. It didn't hurt it.

Just because the games are now on PC or gamepass, or whatever doesn't make the money factor suddenly irrelevant. It's still one of the most relevant pieces of the puzzle. PS5 sales aren't going to sky rocket at a price point that is outside of mainstream pricing.

True the biggest revenue isn't in the hardware consoles but in subscriptions, game sales etc. Having games on more then one platform seems very profitable imo. Even Sony is experimenting with that and more and more PS games appear on pc.

True the biggest revenue isn't in the hardware consoles but in subscriptions, game sales etc. Having games on more then one platform seems very profitable imo. Even Sony is experimenting with that and more and more PS games appear on pc.
Yea I'm holding off on buying those on PC until I see what PS5 does with HZD and Death Stranding in terms of BC

Yea I'm holding off on buying those on PC until I see what PS5 does with HZD and Death Stranding in terms of BC

Probably ballpark 5700XT/2070 level, so if youve got that, you won't have to wait i think :p If you dont have that it's probably better to get a PS5 DE and build a pc a year or so after launch, and have best of both worlds. I'm on a 2080Ti pc, il get a PS5 digital edition even if its more expensive because of the looks. MS will get profits from me because of gamepass and Sony because of their console.

It will be the best console to play 3rd party games and best console to play xbox exclusive games on. The only platform more powerful is the pc. I didn't buy a xbox 360 launch day to play perfect dark. I got it to play the games that would come in the future. That is what the majority of people buying at launch will do.

It being the best place for 3rd party games isn't a given. Especially in the first year when they are being developed as cross platform with the Lockhart most likely being the target as it stands the greatest chance of selling some units. And it also depends on what background deals are being made for DLC and platform exclusive extras. Until we see the games in action nothing is a given.

Looking at the MS event they showed a lot of games that I would be excited to pick up. I will just be picking them up on the xbox pc app instead of the xbox hardware. But I know plenty of people who can't afford a gaming pc or don't want to spend the time messing with one who will be playing these games on a series x .

Yeah there were some, potentially, good game in that lineup. But we'd need actual gameplay footage to decide. But you still won't need an Xbox, or upgrade from what you have already, to play any of them.

It being the best place for 3rd party games isn't a given. Especially in the first year when they are being developed as cross platform with the Lockhart most likely being the target as it stands the greatest chance of selling some units..

Allegedly their guidance is develop for Series X first and then fine-tune on LockHart platform.

A 2070S alone today will still be more than PS5 and likely XSX at launch. Then you're still missing out on CPU, memory, and SSD and PSU to power it all. A from scratch gaming PC at 2070S level will cost the same as the 2 consoles combined or close to.

This whole concept of sticking it to MS because they have their games on PC is non-sensical. The largest driver for purchasing behaviour will come down to whether the product will provide you what you want at the lowest price point you can achieve.

Just because the games are now on PC or gamepass, or whatever doesn't make the money factor suddenly irrelevant. It's still one of the most relevant pieces of the puzzle. PS5 sales aren't going to sky rocket at a price point that is outside of mainstream pricing.

If you want the best possible Xbox Game Pass experience at the cheapest price point possible, you won't get better than XSX.

Problem is I have a half decent PC and can upgrade for a similar price of XSX and lose a whole box in their over crowded TV cabinet.

That’s a real option, completely viable.

Problem is I have a half decent PC and can upgrade for a similar price of XSX and lose a whole box in their over crowded TV cabinet.

That’s a real option, completely viable.
Yea that’s where I’m at as well if the only component left is GPU there are decisions to be made.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...o-far-registrations-open.275066/post-43599113
nooo.. (this is US btw)
welp... that leaves me to sit outside a window to look in for this coming launch. Curious to see how this all plays out now for all countries.
Screen_Shot_2020-08-26_at_2.18.22_PM.png

From their FAQ:

Who will be selected to receive an invitation?
Our selection is based on previous interests and PlayStation activities.

When will I know if I’ve been selected or not?
If you are selected, we will contact you via email before pre-orders start. If you do not receive an email, you were not selected.

If I receive an invitation, am I guaranteed to be able to pre-order a PS5 console?
No. Each invitation is open for a limited time and quantities are limited per PSN ID per transaction:
  • 1 PS5 Console or 1 PS5 Digital Edition
  • 2 DualSense wireless controllers
  • 2 DualSense charging stations
  • 2 Pulse 3D wireless headsets
  • 2 Media remotes
  • 2 HD Cameras
PS5 console pre-order reservations will be first come first serve.

The doom and gloom about MS in this thread makes me laugh.

I'm getting an XSX on launch day for one simple reason - It's the best box to play Cyberpunk 2077 and I know that MS has Halo, Forza, Gears, Fable etc... on the way. Who cares about a particular game at launch? Not me.

My oldest son and his friends just care about the latest Call of Duty, Apex, Battlefield etc... They'll just buy the best box (XSX) for those games. None of these guys care about Sony or MS 1st party. At least MS has a chance of getting them interested if Halo or Gears turn out well. These guys would rather watch paint dry than play something like The Last of Us. LOL

People overestimate the value of some 1st party titles in driving sales.

The people I talk to:

1) Does it have Call of Duty?
2) Is it powerful?
3) What are my friends getting?

We're not 18 any more. People have jobs now. $500 is "whatever" to every single person I know, even my underemployed 23 year old son.

We're living in a world where high school kids are walking around with $500 phones in their pocket and spending their money on dance moves in Fortnite (well not on iPhone, LOL).

Launch is all about early adopters. Most of the guys I mentioned above probably won't bother getting their XSX until 2021. MS and Sony will sell everything they can produce this year if they sell at $499, and maybe even $599.

10% of the userbases have the money and want these things NOW!

It makes for great click bait, but only 1 in 10 Xbox gamers even bought Halo 5, so most people either understand or don't care that Halo was delayed.

From their FAQ:

Who will be selected to receive an invitation?
Our selection is based on previous interests and PlayStation activities.

When will I know if I’ve been selected or not?
If you are selected, we will contact you via email before pre-orders start. If you do not receive an email, you were not selected.

If I receive an invitation, am I guaranteed to be able to pre-order a PS5 console?
No. Each invitation is open for a limited time and quantities are limited per PSN ID per transaction:
  • 1 PS5 Console or 1 PS5 Digital Edition
  • 2 DualSense wireless controllers
  • 2 DualSense charging stations
  • 2 Pulse 3D wireless headsets
  • 2 Media remotes
  • 2 HD Cameras
PS5 console pre-order reservations will be first come first serve.
@London-boy what will you do? Getting two sounds like a hassle.

Incoming Prices tomorrow?

Last edited:
Back