Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a Dual Sense model integrating Back Buttons would be closer to the $90 range?

The only thing that I find odd is the Digital Edition price at $399. The rest is expected.

You mean DE ?

Digital Ed. pricing makes sense considering all software has to come through the PS store. A portion of DE owner's library can't be built using used physical games. They can't even play borrowed or rented physical titles. Over time Sony should be able to easily claw back that discount on retail pricing.

We thought it was clear that games releasing after July will be fully compatible with PS5 (devs themselves had to validate that), and that most games should run without any issues for earlier games?

Does that include any game update releasing after July or just initial game releases after July?

399 would be perfect, and looks like they can do it, seeing the hardware. They have a winner imo with that price, it's the nicer/sleeker looking console anyway compared to the disc drive edition.

They can't legally say that 100% of PS4 games will work on PS5 like they couldn't say the same for PS4 games using boost mode on Pro.

But currently 100% of PS4 games released before the Pro release are working as intended on the mid-gen machine. I think at the beginning there was like a handful of titles (on thousands of games) that had problems on Pro with boost mode, but those have being eventually patched.

Those numbers may be a bit exaggerated but I think the general point still stands.

The PS4 Pro Boost mode release was before the end of February 2017. According to this PS4 Games list, there were around 450 games released in North America (slightly less released to Europe) by the end of February 2017.

They can't legally say that 100% of PS4 games will work on PS5 like they couldn't say the same for PS4 games using boost mode on Pro.

But currently 100% of PS4 games released before the Pro release are working as intended on the mid-gen machine. I think at the beginning there was like a handful of titles (on thousands of games) that had problems on Pro with boost mode, but those have being eventually patched.
That's completely understandable.

For me the BC is like the price. We know they have one, we know what it should be around, we have a reasonable expectation of what it should do, but we're still just waiting to see what it is.

I'm not expecting there will be many, if any, PS4 games that flat out won't run on PS5. But what I think many want to know is how well PS4 games run in PS5's equivalent of boost mode and what kind of level of improvement are we looking at.

I expect Digital Foundry will be very busy over the holiday period.

I expect the DualSense to be $70-$80
Absolutely. Game controllers as accessories were huge money makers this gen. With a higher BOM cost, I’d expect them to offset it so that they can continue to be a cash cow. It may color the perception of the platforms comparatively though.

I'm not expecting there will be many, if any, PS4 games that flat out won't run on PS5. But what I think many want to know is how well PS4 games run in PS5's equivalent of boost mode and what kind of level of improvement are we looking at.

I expect Digital Foundry will be very busy over the holiday period.
Yea, I think if suddenly all their titles were to run 60fps from 30fps, regardless of resolution, that would be a day 1 for BC titles for instance.

I'm not sure if there is necessarily enough power to go from a highly optimized 1080p30 -> 4K60, but going from 30 > 60 would be sufficient.

But it's not power I worry about, I'm not sure if these types of upgrades require patching. Curious to see how Xbox handles this as well, the sort of final details around BC. I don't think these types of enchantments will be for all titles, so I'm just looking at their specific GOTY AAA list.

Absolutely. Game controllers as accessories were huge money makers this gen. With a higher BOM cost, I’d expect them to offset it so that they can continue to be a cash cow. It may color the perception of the platforms comparatively though.

I'm fully expecting a gamers bundle like they did with PS4, extra controller, camera and Killzone for an extra £100...it could literally be same price as the disk version with just the standard 1 controller...that would really be an incentive to go all digital!

I'm fully expecting a gamers bundle like they did with PS4, extra controller, camera and Killzone for an extra £100...it could literally be same price as the disk version with just the standard 1 controller...that would really be an incentive to go all digital!

That was the bundle I pre-ordered, a second controller, PS Camera and game (originally Watch Dogs but when that was bumped I switched to Killzone) and the effective saving was not paying for the camera - compared to buying them all separately. I didn't even want the camera but it seems silly to buy things separately. Then when PSVR came out, a camera was one less thing to buy.

I know what you’re saying, but XSX doesn’t offer anything that Xbox One X can't other than faster loading and nicer graphics. PS5 will offer that plus some exclusives and a controller with new and unique functionality.
If you ignore the powerful dedicated audio chip, RT (for graphics, audio, ...), CPU, ML capabilities, and much more, then you are onto something :yep2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back