Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, I think it's just up to the company if it's in their DNA to do stuff like this. MS did it for XBO and it was completely inferior to PS4. You can still showcase and talk about innovation even if you don't have the most power.

Sony used to present at Hot Chips when their consoles were mostly custom Sony hardware. Since PS3 and the shift to using commoditized hardware, they've stopped. I figured this was because IBM, AMD and Nvidia filled that role and Sony's customisations are fairly minor in the grand scheme of things. It feels like trying to pass off somebody else's masterful cake as yours when all you did was badly pipe HARPY BIRTDAY on the top with icing!

Where Sony have made an engineering change, liked extended ACE queues in PS4 and the ID buffer in PS4 Pro, they've just explained it.

Deep dive into what though? It's basically AMD hardware and the people that need to know like game devs will know all they need with the dev kits and tools they will have access to.

It's not like Sony have designed a chip and are trying to sell it to other vendors.

Well, Cerny did say they are going to have a breakdown session sometime. Not sure what you guys want. Leaks it seems. And that isn't going to happen unless Sony wants.

Maybe wait for someone to do an actual breakdown once the console is released i.e. Nov/Dec 2020. I am sure someone will.

I want that promised TearDown! I'm pretty sure you know that. I'm pretty sure this entire forum knows that too. :LOL:

Cerny gave us all blue balls with that comment mentioning us being happy when they show us the tear down.

That was in March wasn't it? :mad:

Nvidia Riva128 for the win! My first PC and my first 3D chip. And all to run Half-Life because I bought a whole damn PC to play Half-Life. I realised by this time, Commodore and the Amiga definitely weren't coming back.

Does it have the Paradise Tasmania 3D card in it?

Tommy McClain

Nope. Other than that it wasn't too bad. Neglected the 3D Blaster VLB & Rendition's effect on the industry. Their first card was an amazing value with great quality & performance. Had it were not for the drop in DRAM prices I don't think 3Dfx would have did as well with the Voodoo & Voodoo 2. Another thing glossed over was that the Voodooo cards were an add-on. You still needed a 2D card & it used pass-through cables to work. People overlooked that because of gaming support & performance, but it was expensive for the time.

Tommy McClain

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back