What's the performance range of PS5? *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSman1700

Legend
It's easy, in worst case the console can deliver 9TF of compute power, in best case it does 10TF. Where it spends most of it's time is unknown, and depends totally on the game.

"It's easy", then proceeds to present as truth unsubstantiated bullshit. lol

edit: for the sake of combating trolls, let's remember, for the eleventh time what Cerny said

Dropping frequency by 10 per cent reduces power consumption by around 27 per cent. "In general, a 10 per cent power reduction is just a few per cent reduction in frequency," Cerny emphasises.

"So, when I made the statement that the GPU will spend most of its time at or near its top frequency, that is with 'race to idle' taken out of the equation - we were looking at PlayStation 5 games in situations where the whole frame was being used productively. The same is true for the CPU, based on examination of situations where it has high utilisation throughout the frame, we have concluded that the CPU will spend most of its time at its peak frequency."

edit 2: we should invite misterxmedia to improve the quality of the posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's no harder then understand, it's between 9 and 10TF. That's a fact.

Actually is very simple, 9TF is a drop of frequency of 13%, which is nowhere near what Cerny has said (oh wait Cerny is a liar right).

Not to mention that the GPU can be kept at maximum frequency at the expense of the CPU. So yeah, I'd say your statements can be catalogued from "bullshit" to "misleading".

Actually is very simple, 9TF is a drop of frequency of 13%, which is nowhere near what Cerny has said (oh wait Cerny is a liar right).

Well, between 9.2TF and 10.2TF then. Just like in case of XSX is called a 12TF console while it's 12.115 or whatever.
How much of the time it spends and when is a guess, but it's a 9.2TF console at worst, and 10.2TF at best.

Cerny aint a liar, but he isn't going to promote the worst case scenerarios for his companies products either.

Not to mention that the GPU can be kept at maximum frequency at expense of the CPU.

And the other way around. It's easier to gain power from the GPU though.

I'd say your statements can be catalogued from "bullshit" to "misleading".

Well, a 0.2TF difference as bs lol. There you go. Maybe keep things civil while you're at it, if you want escalations you will get them.

Well, between 9.2TF and 10.2TF then. Just like in case of XSX is called a 12TF console while it's 12.115 or whatever.
How much of the time it spends and when is a guess, but it's a 9.2TF console at worst, and 10.2TF at best.

Now we've gone for 9 to 9.2, another number pulled from your ass.

Cerny aint a liar, but he isn't going to promote the worst case scenerarios for his companies products either.

So he is liar.

And the other way around. It's easier to gain power from the GPU though.

Another Cerny lie

"While we're at it, we also use AMD's SmartShift technology and send any unused power from the CPU to the GPU so it can squeeze out a few more pixels."

m8CRVUY6E1YCAgTy.jpg

Even the arrow is a lie :runaway:

Well, a 0.2TF difference as bs lol. There you go. Maybe keep things civil while you're at it, if you want escalations you will get them.

Why a 0.2? again from where are you pulling this number from? The issue here is that you are constantly trolling and shitposting every single PS5 thread. Dude, it's ok, your console of choice is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
So he is liar.
Do you think, that if someone promotes his product he will tell everything that might be "negative" (or not so good) about his product?
No, he will always tell you about the positive sides and maybe some not so bright things but that are still positive or that have a "simple" workaround. That is just not lying, this is just simple PR.
Just, always take such events with a grain of salt.

Even developer events are PR. Well at least all tech-events that I was present as a developer were also meant to promote something you should use/buy/sale/rent/pay, ...
Btw, Cerny stated that it wasn't possible to even get a 2GHz stable frequency without those things they have done. So you can assume, that the frequency will also drop below 2GHz at times.
We don't know under which circumstances or if this will happen often. That's why we a in a speculation forum ;)

Last edited:
Do you think, that if someone promotes his product he will tell everything that might be "negative" (or not so good) about his product?
No, he will always tell you about the positive sides and maybe some not so bright things but that are still positive or that have a "simple" workaround. That is just not lying, this is just simple PR.
Just, always take such events with a grain of salt.

Even developer events are PR. Well at least all tech-events that I was present as a developer were also meant to promote something you should use/buy/sale/rent/pay, ...
Btw, Cerny stated that it wasn't possible to even get a 2GHz stable frequency without those things they have done. So you can assume, that the frequency will also drop below 2GHz at times.
We don't know under which circumstances or if this will happen often. That's why we a in a speculation forum ;)
No. He stated that it was difficult to guarantee those clocks without restricting power limits specifically. He made it quite clear that the clock limit of the GPU was logic/timing driven. Not contingent on the limitations of power, thermals, or SmartShift.

Not to mention that the GPU can be kept at maximum frequency at the expense of the CPU. So yeah, I'd say your statements can be catalogued from "bullshit" to "misleading".

He's been doing that ever since The Road to PS5 video got shown and we know PS5 is implementing variable frequency.
Every time Tflops get mentioned there's a mission to state that it's more like 9 TF.
You're not the first to argue with him about it and I suspect you won't be the last either.

No need to be worried, even if it drops sometimes or often to the 9TF range, we've seen a glimpse of what it can do, and it's already looking really good.
They focused on other bottlenecks instead of brute force, and i'm sure it'll pay off enventually.

No need to be worried, even if it drops sometimes or often to the 9TF range, we've seen a glimpse of what it can do, and it's already looking really good.
They focused on other bottlenecks instead of brute force, and i'm sure it'll pay off enventually.
Well what is "brute force"? "Brute force" has such a negative meaning.
You could say that such "boost" frequencies is "brute forcing" more flops. You can say 20TF would be brute force, ... It always depends on your view.
I really don't see any bottlenecks from the new systems. But that is a problem with bottlenecks. You don't design your chip knowing there are bottlenecks inside, only if you can't get past them.

Both systems are more or less the same. PS5 has lower TF and also lower memory speeds that xbox sx. Both have good SSDs (even if one has the double theoretical throughput), audio hardware and decompression blocks. Bottlenecks are not visible right now. At a some point, everything get's a bottleneck.
The only bottleneck I currently see the the size of the SSDs. Both are way to small to hold a bigger users catalog. So you must swap games in and out of the SSD. That's not so good for the SSDs. (e.g. from my 8TB external HDD on the xbox one, 5 TB are full of games that I play from time to time (and my wife & kids plays other games than me)).

As I see it, variable clocks will be simply another factor for devs to be taken into account, while optimising the code. Similiar to limited bandwidth, number of alus, ROPs, hdd speed or cpu. Nothing really new, only new workarounds, business as usual.

Really, guys this late into things, the only discussion should be around pricing. Slipping into Sept for any information and having less than 2 months to launch should be more concerning to everyone than some Mhz differentials.

Although I feel Sony could have done better in "raw" GPU compute, however, there is no denying Sony's first-party teams will crank out titles beyond what we believe is capable with the system. And their SSD and I/O controller tech sounds pretty exciting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back