Martha is Dead [PC, XBSX|S, PS5]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
This is one dark and scary game going by the trailer. My first reaction was NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!

IGN also has some gameplay footage:

Martha is Dead unfolds in Tuscany, 1944, against the backdrop of the ongoing conflict between German and Allied forces. The story begins as the body of a woman, Martha, is found by the side of a lake, deep in the Italian countryside. Players, cast in the role of her twin sister, must deal with the repercussions of the murder, "all whilst the horror of war draws ever closer".

"Along the way," LKA explained back at the time of the game's announcement, "she will encounter situations and discover things no one should have to... mortal death was the easy path compared to this one marred by mental and emotional distress which lingers on."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-is-dead-coming-to-xbox-series-x-pc-next-year

Super lame. Does Sony have a history of requiring game censorship?
I cannot recall this happening before. Fairly common is individual countries censorship boards, particularly Australia and Germany, mandating content be removed or changed.

edit: I had a google and it's unclear what the content is. I've played games on PlayStation that included torture, decapitation, and body mutilation. Some of the deaths in The Last of Us 2 are utterly unpleasant.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://gamingbolt.com/ps5s-ssd-is-...roke-martha-is-dead-levels-during-development
GamingBolt interviewed LKA’s Tommaso Bonanni on how the team took advantage of the PS5 SSD’s 5.5 GB/s Raw Read Bandwidth and 9-9 GB/s Compressed Bandwidth, and how it compared to the Xbox Series X.

Bonanni said, “We are all amazed by the performance of the PS5 SSD, which in itself is a technical gem. However, the element that really makes the difference here is the PS5’s data reading and writing system, which is extremely efficient. Even on some occasions we have found the fact that PS5 loads some scenes too quickly compared to other consoles and PCs, literally broke the loading of the levels because it was totally unexpected, so we had to get our hands on the code to counterbalance this excessive loading speed.”

I cannot recall this happening before. Fairly common is individual countries censorship boards, particularly Australia and Germany, mandating content be removed or changed.

edit: I had a google and it's unclear what the content is. I've played games on PlayStation that included torture, decapitation, and body mutilation. Some of the deaths in The Last of Us 2 are utterly unpleasant.
lou2 is defenitly one of the most brutal games I've ever played

lou2 is defenitly one of the most brutal games I've ever played
Which really makes me wonder what in Martha is Dead has triggered this. Maybe it's not inherently violence, maybe it is sexual content. Or a combination. Conscious that Manhunt (Rockstar) was pretty damn sick back in PS2 times. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Which really makes me wonder what in Martha is Dead has triggered this. Maybe it's not inherently violence, maybe it is sexual content. Or a combination. Conscious that Manhunt (Rockstar) was pretty damn sick back in PS2 times. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
from what I read its minigame where you cutting of sister face and after that you wear it :d

@snc WTF. I'm a anti-censorship as the next man but equally when I delve into any media - TV show, movie, videogame - my expectations of what I will experience are based on grounded on expectations of what I might experience. Which is a dichotomy of progress, granted.

I would not expect to delve in a videogame with that kind of interactive content. And to be clear, this is not content that object too but I wonder what the methods are to alert any potential buyer of such unusual, extreme content beyond the game being rated as MA (mature) / 18 / Restricted. I guess the challenge is doing this it without spoilers, whilst almost engineering increasing more bonkers media tags about content other than "mild peril" or "horror".

I don't agree with Sony's position here, but I can understand it. In the UK, entering into an "18" rated game, I would be surprised by this but only because it's pushing boundaries of what I would expect. That's neither good, nor bad, but it does raise questions.

Reactions: snc
@snc WTF. I'm a anti-censorship as the next man but equally when I delve into any media - TV show, movie, videogame - my expectations of what I will experience are based on grounded on expectations of what I might experience. Which is a dichotomy of progress, granted.

I would not expect to delve in a videogame with that kind of interactive content. And to be clear, this is not content that object too but I wonder what the methods are to alert any potential buyer of such unusual, extreme content beyond the game being rated as MA (mature) / 18 / Restricted. I guess the challenge is doing this it without spoilers, whilst almost engineering increasing more bonkers media tags about content other than "mild peril" or "horror".

I don't agree with Sony's position here, but I can understand it. In the UK, entering into an "18" rated game, I would be surprised by this but only because it's pushing boundaries of what I would expect. That's neither good, nor bad, but it does raise questions.
Have similar opinion, Im against censorship but understand in some bizzare sadism case

Sony has the right to allow what they want on their console but I'm anti-censor. Put a warning of bodily mutilation on the box and let the consumer decide.

I am against game censorship and against censorship of this game. I was against it when Nintendo did it and I'm against it when Sony does it.

Back