Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

It was going to happen eventually, this is Facebook. Just glad I didn't invest in an Oculus yet.

It would end up pretty weak imho, you could argue the point that even a 2080 isnt even ideal for vr, so how will a mobile chip fair ?

Now that wifi streaming is a working thing, i would like to see some standalone VR headset with a wifi processing box. That would allow better performance and a lighter headset.

Standalone headsets can't really do much more than either watch 180/360 VR videos or play super simple 3D games like SuperHot.

Ideally, every standalone should have some form of video input for external processing. Like the Quest.

I think Apple is more AR, not VR.

Watch them do what is essentially Google Glass but not get the flak that Google got.
The rumour mill, supported by patents, actually had them doing VR using a separate box of undefined OS (presumably its own variation) wirelessly communicating via 802.11ay to an 8k VR headset.
This is said to have been shot down by Jony Ive himself, being adamant that a solution that wasn't standalone lacked the required aesthetic/integrity.

Nobody knows the truth of that, beyond the patents.

However, there hasn't been any rumblings about VR from Apple even since after Ive bowed out, so their VR effort may indeed have been shelved, patents notwithstanding. I'd love to see 802.11ay used for uncompromising wireless bandwidth though.

Why would VR have to be standalone? You would do it at home, not use it outside like you would with AR.

Is there really enough VR content to appeal to the mass market? Presumably, VR content won't be compatible. Oculus content, especially games, won't work on Sony VR or presumably Apple VR?

Same issue for AR too.

Don't know about mass appeal but oculus quest has been sold out pretty much since launch. How much of that is due to covid19 or the rumoured cheaper model that might or might not replace quest who knows. Similarly valve index has been sold out most of the time.

Back