Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2018 - 2020]

sooo, they used a movie to add those images to the game in real time. Nowadays I wouldn't be surprised that quite a few movies used Flight Simulator to add aerial views and save themselves thousands of euros in special effects.

Gtb8ldm.gif
Thats.....flight simulator??

That was great.

Also, Driveclub deserves a revisit. Its just too good. But details about that engine are probably beyond DigitalFoundry reach by now.

I mean, look at this

Jump to the 12m50 seconds mark. But the entire video is gold if you want to see it. Shame about the 720p capture.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-ps1digital-hdmi-output-mod-review

PS1digital review: the ultimate HDMI option for PlayStation 1
The best way to revisit a classic console on a modern display.

Review by John Linneman, Staff Writer, Digital Foundry [ Updated on 9 August 2020 ]

One of the biggest challenges facing the retro gaming enthusiast is the basic concept that console systems and games designed for CRTs are an uneasy fit for modern flatpanel technology, not least because today's screens don't even accept the video outputs of classic games machines. Various solutions are available to bridge the gap, but none quite offer the quality of directly modding original hardware to offer a fully digital HDMI solution. That's what the PS1digital from Black Dog Technology does: a separate board is mounted inside an original PlayStation, converting its internal signals to a pristine digital output - and it's terrific.

If the concept sounds familiar, we've covered the work of Black Dog before, specifically with the DCHDMI - now renamed DCdigital - which does the same thing for Sega's Dreamcast. In bypassing the original analogue video and audio outputs of the host console, these mods deliver the absolute best possible image quality. From console to flatpanel, the entire pipeline is completely digital from start to finish. In the case of the PS1digital, the signal is so pure and unfiltered that our frame-rate analysis tools work as expected - a situation that's only possible with the cleanest of signals.

The PlayStation is an interesting console. Alongside Sega Saturn, it was the last home console where the vast majority of the library actually ran at just 240p, with a smaller subset of titles operating at a higher resolution via interlaced 480i. Even before the arrival of the PS1digital, there are still some good options available for using original hardware on a modern screen. The Framemeister, OSCC and Retrotink all do a good job, and the simplest solution - the Rad2x cable (based on Retrotink) - delivers a very impressive 480p output. The Hyperkin PlayStation HDTV cable is best avoided. Another decent plug and play solution is simply to run your PS1 library on PlayStation 3. All consoles run all games via software emulation.

It looks great, as does the Mega Man WAD and the 2D Super Mario Bros alike (from SAGE 2018?) they mentioned.

DF Retro Play: Star Wars Dark Forces - a PC Classic But What About The PS1 Port?
had never played that game, but I recently complete Star Wars Battlefront II -2017- and it was a fun experience, plus it has some of the best graphics I've ever seen in a videogame.

the spiritual successor of Hexen. I remember playing a shareware version of Hexen years ago and it was a fun game, using the Doom engine iirc.

Back