Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I will be getting a second controller like I did with the PS4. From what I have read and the questionaire from the local game store with regards to the PS5 and the results I saw, most people seem to be inclined to do the same with a few other getting other peripherals. I might get the headset if the sound is as good as Cerny was making it out to be.

View attachment 4460
Total Votes Cast: 31,690

What a surprise, a poll at a local physical game shop has most of the polled people planning to buy a version that supports physical games. :) This isn't to say that most people in your country wouldn't get the version with the optical drive anyway.

It'll be interesting to see how pre-orders line up at online shops (Amazon, for instance) once pre-orders are available. As well as what the spreads are depending on what country you live in.

Regards,
SB

I know I will be getting a second controller like I did with the PS4. From what I have read and the questionaire from the local game store with regards to the PS5 and the results I saw, most people seem to be inclined to do the same with a few other getting other peripherals. I might get the headset if the sound is as good as Cerny was making it out to be.

View attachment 4460
Total Votes Cast: 31,690

Is this in the US for one store only or is the for the entire company's poll across the US shown in their local stores?

For that system yes, i'm a pc gamer at heart, i wanted it near silent also since it's my main system connected to the tv where we watch movies, play games etc.

Ah ok, yes i have done the same with the 920's, they volt lower then default oc'ed. But that's the mighty 920, king of OC cpu, in special the D0 steppings :p

Basically yes, downclocked 3700x's with no boost, probably reduced cache. 47 as max is very nice indeed in special for spain and air cooling :p
It's worth investing in decent basic parts like case, PSU, cooling components, one appriciates that over time ;) Yes just go with the current 1080/nvme configuration and see about two years down the line for some mid-range rtx 3070/4070 or something.
sure. you appreciate those components more and this is the best PC I've ever had, even compared with my 1st one, which was a totally newbie build but a beast for the time.

As for air cooling and climate, northern Spain (Galicia, Asturias, Euskadi, Cantabria etc) has an atlantic climate --oddly enough there are few coronavirus cases here compared with other places in the country....- and it's rainy and cold.

However, my previous case, small, horribly ventilated with only had capacity to install a couple of 80mm fans -used basically to dissipate heat- taught me a lesson. At the time the budget I had was limited, in fact I wanted the 1600 instead of tye Ryzen 1500X -good cpu though- and missed it for 20€.

Wouldn't it make more sense if they were using chips based on mobile designs, so 4700 or 4800?
guess the 4700 is the mobile equivalent of the 3700X..., it could well bee, but I didnt' search for info on the 4700-4800 as I am not into laptops for gaming -heat kills components and high performance laptops are usually too warm for my taste, not to mention battery issues, I prefer crappy laptops that perform like a phone but run on battery for hours-.

I've read an article on the 4700 and it seems to have 8 cores and 8 threads, plus the speed is like 2.0GHz base while the new consoles have a base speed of 3,6GHz like the 3700X.

Is this in the US for one store only or is the for the entire company's poll across the US shown in their local stores?
South Africa, website called Raru. There was another website with the same or similar questionaire I take but I never answered that one as the questionaire is now closed.

Last edited:
For that system yes, i'm a pc gamer at heart, i wanted it near silent also since it's my main system connected to the tv where we watch movies, play games etc.

Ah ok, yes i have done the same with the 920's, they volt lower then default oc'ed. But that's the mighty 920, king of OC cpu, in special the D0 steppings :p

Basically yes, downclocked 3700x's with no boost, probably reduced cache. 47 as max is very nice indeed in special for spain and air cooling :p
It's worth investing in decent basic parts like case, PSU, cooling components, one appriciates that over time ;) Yes just go with the current 1080/nvme configuration and see about two years down the line for some mid-range rtx 3070/4070 or something.
did you assemble the water cooling yourself or someone else? How much does it cost?

Passed the tests with Userbenchmark and they are good.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31853374

Wouldn't it make more sense if they were using chips based on mobile designs, so 4700 or 4800?
from what I gathered, from the 2 processors you mentioned, consoles could probably be based off the 4800 rather than the 4700, even the 3700X too, but yeah, the 4800 has 8cores/16threads

did you assemble the water cooling yourself or someone else? How much does it cost?

Myself, all my systems are self-build since the early 2000's ;) Better that way, as system builders do a crap job, atleast here. About cost, it all depends, like with everything. I gave about 2800kr (about 280dollars?) for the NZXT kraken z63, it's for the R9 3900x. https://www.inet.se/produkt/5322834/nzxt-kraken-z63-280mm

There's much cheaper (and more expensive) WC parts out there, all from 150 dollars to five times that. It's hard to match a cheap WC setup with air cooling. Installing it is a breeze if you're abit used to system building. It's no harder then an air cooler to me. But like with all system building, it's no luxury to have much of space to work with. My case is a cm cosmos, it has a lot of space to fiddle around with. It's alot of money for just cooling, and if you don't OC and are having nice temps on air (like you have), and things aren't annoyingly loud, there's no reason for water cooling i think.

Like said, im a pc gamer so it's for the fun-factor also, ive alot of pc's even old ones from the late 90's all the way to now, just to play around and test with :p

Myself, all my systems are self-build since the early 2000's ;) Better that way, as system builders do a crap job, atleast here. About cost, it all depends, like with everything. I gave about 2800kr (about 280dollars?) for the NZXT kraken z63, it's for the R9 3900x. https://www.inet.se/produkt/5322834/nzxt-kraken-z63-280mm

There's much cheaper (and more expensive) WC parts out there, all from 150 dollars to five times that. It's hard to match a cheap WC setup with air cooling. Installing it is a breeze if you're abit used to system building. It's no harder then an air cooler to me. But like with all system building, it's no luxury to have much of space to work with. My case is a cm cosmos, it has a lot of space to fiddle around with. It's alot of money for just cooling, and if you don't OC and are having nice temps on air (like you have), and things aren't annoyingly loud, there's no reason for water cooling i think.

Like said, im a pc gamer so it's for the fun-factor also, ive alot of pc's even old ones from the late 90's all the way to now, just to play around and test with :p
after reading your post I've searched for it and it doesn't look difficult to install. The hardest work for me when building a rig was when I've built some mining rigs for other people. Given the size of the NZXT Kraken and some reviews I've seen, it could be an easy and nice addition for the top of my PC box, which has spaces for two fans but has no fans there yet.

As for air cooling temps, the undervolt and silicon lottery certainly helps in this case -for now this seems to be my best PC ever, not only specs wise but build quality wise and luck is involved, like I've got +100 on my luck stats with this-, plus I want to be careful with it 'cos it is working like a charm and there is no need to make it work more than it should. In my testing days I tried to run every game at 165fps, which is stressful for both the CPU and GPU, but now that I realised that some genres do well at 60 or so, I use the nVidia's limiter in a few games and only play Assetto Corsa or Doom 3 and others at 165fps, depending on the genre, plus it isnt' stressful at all for the components.

I've read that Sony is working on a proprietary cooling system for the PS5 -or PS6-, they might need it if the GPU is going to achieve such high frequencies.

" The amount of system memory allocated to Xbox One X games is 9GB" => did we know this before this article ?

I did.

Others have as well since June 8 2017, as shown here -- https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1984547/ and https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1986452/

Developers will now have access to 9GB of GDDR5 for games:

Additional tweet: if all 9GB is not used for games then will be used as cache for quicker load times.

So it seems that no matter what the OS will only use 3GB now...

The memory is 9GB vs 5.5GB for games as in 63% more. Memory bandwidth is about 50% more. GPU is more than 40% faster, although perhaps the FP16 helps the Pro here a bit... CPU is only about 10% faster, but that is still faster. All added up that is a very significant difference. Functions point about the biggest difference since Xbox vs PS2 is right on the money. Handhelds aren't what he was talking about.

from the article @chris1515 posted it seems based on the 4000 notebook series

close to AMD's Renoir design (Microsoft has a 'Hercules' codename internally for the CPU design) used in its Ryzen 4000 notebook line

Thing is, on PC a 16 threads CPU costs more than 320€ -like my Ryzen 3700X-, which is almost the price of a console, so they gotta cut somewhere, in fact new consoles CPUs have 4MB of cache memory.

from the article @chris1515 posted it seems based on the 4000 notebook series

close to AMD's Renoir design (Microsoft has a 'Hercules' codename internally for the CPU design) used in its Ryzen 4000 notebook line

Thing is, on PC a 16 threads CPU costs more than 320€ -like my Ryzen 3700X-, which is almost the price of a console, so they gotta cut somewhere, in fact new consoles CPUs have 4MB of cache memory.
8MB. 2 CCXs of 4MB each. That has not yet being confirmed for PS5 CPU.

Slowly getting the feeling Sony will never deep dive these things like MS has and instead just let the rumour Mill churn for an eternity.
I hope that does not happen for my sanity!

I believe Sony wants to get passed hardware comparisons or teardowns for obvious reasons. In all honesty, it would be in their best interest not to have a teardown in comparison to XBSX. Cerny's SSD and I/O controller discussion should be enough on selling PS5 strengths.

I believe Sony wants to get passed hardware comparisons or teardowns for obvious reasons. In all honesty, it would be in their best interest not to have a teardown in comparison to XBSX. Cerny's SSD and I/O controller discussion should be enough on selling PS5 strengths.

The multiplat game comparisons are unavoidable though.

The multiplat game comparisons are unavoidable though.

That's fine. However the vast majority of console gamers (moderates and casuals) don't care for stuff like that. So for Sony or even Microsoft, these comparisons are super minor in the grand scheme of things.

well, I think it's just up to the company if it's in their DNA to do stuff like this. MS did it for XBO and it was completely inferior to PS4. You can still showcase and talk about innovation even if you don't have the most power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back