Marvel's Avengers (Square-Enix) [PS4, XO, PC, XGP]

in the second trailer, framerate drops pretty bad in certain sections.

So I’m seeing lots of very different takes on this. Is it good? Is it bad?

I might be killing two birds with one stone by linking Digital Foundry’s (Rich and John) first look:

John’s Pro playthrough basically locked at 30fps, Rich’s base ... worse than that. One of them likened it to Destiny.

Edit: VG Tech shows Pro 4k mode and base (both with dynamic res) hit a steady 30 in a bridge scene. Pro Perf mode spends a lot of time in the 40s. The Hulk scene starting at 3:11 kicks the Pro in both modes to a sustained 25fps and the base to 20fps.

Last edited:
Nice graphics and pyrotechnics...and there's a photo mode !
French beta audio is funny, half french half english, so they are talking french and suddenly answering in english :LOL:

Wow that beta is meh. Looks run of the mill plastic shine with everything maxed out. Just "Press A and something awesome" happens gameplay.

I'm sure it'll be discounted heavily 2 months after launch. Surely you can find better games until then.

I've tested the demo only to see what the engine and technology is like. The graphics are very good with extremely many explosions, lots of destruction etc. I didn't optimize any settings but it seems to need a lot of GPU performance especially with four players and when the destruction kicks in. Still I don't know how the final game will perform and if we will see any performance improvements.

As a beating game the game principle is dull and nothing which I could enjoy. Generally this is not my genre at all and I am more focused on shooters. I wonder how a game can look so well and elaborately made and at the same time be so boring for me. Playing 30 minutes once is possible but I can't stand it any longer. Therefore I prefer to play the 700th hour of Star Wars Battlefront II, the Division or Battlefield etc. than to play this for just 1 hour. The demo is also very long. I've played four hours so far and still haven't finished.

Some people think this superhero stuff is great but I don't like Marvel movies and heroes either. The new Batman game looks a bit more interesting to me.

Last edited:
They likely know the game is a mess if they're holding off review copies? I dont believe the server excuse considering they should already have the infrastructure in place to ensure it works before go-live.

Just got word that review copies of Marvel's Avengers won't go out until September 1, so unfortunately we won't have a full review ready to go for launch. You can expect us to update our review in progress starting early next week, though, so you'll have our reviewer's thoughts.

(This is pretty common for server-dependent games like this, so it is entirely too early to panic.)​

The additional footage shown on the Future Games Show from Gamecom still doesn't change or improve my impression of this game.

I feel bad for the developers who spent any time working on this, when it's likely decisions made from above that limited the game's potential to mediocre at best.

The additional footage shown on the Future Games Show from Gamecom still doesn't change or improve my impression of this game.

I feel bad for the developers who spent any time working on this, when it's likely decisions made from above that limited the game's potential to mediocre at best.

It’s so strange, I really wanted to love it but I can’t get over how your character moves, jumps and all that. If feels completely broken.

It’s so strange, I really wanted to love it but I can’t get over how your character moves, jumps and all that. If feels completely broken.

I was hoping for another sort of Marvel Ultimate Alliance game. Instead we got this. It's as you said, something feels entirely off. If it was just how it controls it could be fixed, but it's bad enough you can see it just watching the game.

The whole game aesthetics and gameplay are just so unappealing to me. This game license would have been best served somewhere else, other than Square-Enix.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202..._battle_pass_for_every_superhero_after_launch

Marvel's Avengers Has a Paid Battle Pass for Every Superhero After Launch

Crystal Dynamics has always promised that the superheroes added to Marvel's Avengers after launch will always be free, but what it didn't tell us until now is that the cosmetics associated with those characters will have to be unlocked via a purchasable Battle Pass. Titled Hero Challenge Cards, completing daily and weekly challenges will level it up and thus unlock new items to equip the associated superhero with. That's standard stuff for these sorts of progression paths, and this approach sounds fair considering you'll be earning Credits through the base game's six superheroes.

As part of a new blog post on the game's official website, it is stated that the six superheroes arriving in the base game will all have their Hero Challenge Cards unlocked straight away. Starting with Hawkeye, you'll then need to purchase these cards separately for 1,000 Credits. This currency can only be obtained through unlocks on other Battle Passes or with real-world money -- $5 will net you 500 Credits. That means a single Hero Challenge Card works out at exactly $10.

To be clear, the character itself and the story, gameplay mechanics, and locations associated with them will be free of charge. But if you want to customise that superhero with unlocks and decals, you will then need to start splashing the cash. 40 tiers will net you outfits, takedowns, nameplates, emotes, and more. The developer goes on to say that if you reach the maximum tier, you will eventually earn all of your Credits back.

Back