Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I don't want a representation of what they're promising, I want to see what Sony have for me to play. I'm not buying into the immersive controller nonsense until I've experienced it myself - ditto the sound. How can they promise more immersive sound without knowing anything about me, or my audio setup?

That is kind of "me me me!!!" Attitude:oops:

You dont want.. why would it even matter what you want? You are not the only target audience to these ads, and these ads are selling the experience more than certain specific games

It's like complaining that "I dont like this ad of new food store opening because i wanna see bread and butter!!:runaway:"

If you want to see those games, just watch the old trailers or wait for new ones. Complaining about ad of the whole system is just silly.

And they dont have to know YOUR setup, just that people use different speakers, headphones and tvs. Some give better audio than others.

Are you really so selfish that Sony should spy your setup and target ad directly to you, or they cant hype their audio system?:-?

If user uses shitty audio or crt TV, they cant complain that their experience is bad

Actress in the ad filmed herself in her home, and then Sony organized dozens and dozens of people from all around the world to produce the rest of the commercial. :D

Pretty nice story, and a clear showcase how much everything is affected in this time of social distancing and work from home.

That is kind of "me me me!!!" Attitude:oops:
Of course it is, I'm paying for and I'll be the primary user of it. If they want me to buy it, they need to convince me.

You dont want.. why would it even matter what you want? You are not the only target audience to these ads, and these ads are selling the experience more than certain specific games

To sell an experience of new technology there needs to be a frame of reference. What's my frame of reference for adaptive triggers or Sonys' audio technology? How am I supposed to understand what they means? With regard to the DualSense, it's not particularly encouraging that outside of Sony only one person (Geoff Keighley) has been permitted to use it and talk about it. and only in one game. And he didn't seem that enthused.

It's like complaining that "I dont like this ad of new food store opening because i wanna see bread and butter!!:runaway:"
It's nothing like that at all, PS5 is specific product, primarily a games machines, aimed at what is a relatively small (100-150m users worldwide) and they've shown an ad for it and not shown any real games even though they have Spider-Man, probably one of the most instantly recognisable characters on the planet. How did they marketing conversation go? "Hey shall we use with kick arse footage of Spider-Man? It's literally in the can" - "Nah, let's just commission some made-up CGI." :oops:

If you want to see those games, just watch the old trailers or wait for new ones. Complaining about ad of the whole system is just silly.
It's silly you feel he need to defend Sony's ad and cannot seem to accept that others see it as a missed opportunity.

Are you really so selfish that Sony should spy your setup and target ad directly to you, or they cant hype their audio system?:-?
Wow, that escalated quickly and you have completely missed the point.

. How did they marketing conversation go? "Hey shall we use with kick arse footage of Spider-Man? It's literally in the can" - "Nah, let's just commission some made-up CGI." :oops:

This is exactly the way I feel. Why not use a montage of Spiderman, Ratchet, Demon Souls and Horizon Forbidden West to show these features.

That's why I said it's not a good sign that they had to use CGI to show these features but hopefully it's just because they saving those games for some future event.

I personally would of much more preferred a montage of actual games making use of the features, they have I see had devs talk about the features now though.

This is exactly the way I feel. Why not use a montage of Spiderman, Ratchet, Demon Souls and Horizon Forbidden West to show these features.

That's why I said it's not a good sign that they had to use CGI to show these features but hopefully it's just because they saving those games for some future event.

I personally would of much more preferred a montage of actual games making use of the features, they have I see had devs talk about the features now though.

They can't because most people won't be able to the difference between trailer shots of PS4 games and PS5 gameplay.

Not a slight on PS5 or next gen graphics. Its just that current game ads overegg the look of games.

They have to sell the vision. /Waves hands mysteriously

They can't because most people won't be able to the difference between trailer shots of PS4 games and PS5 gameplay.

Not a slight on PS5 or next gen graphics. Its just that current game ads overegg the look of games.

They have to sell the vision. /Waves hands mysteriously
Completely agree, it is hard to overstate how ineffective a 30 second DF style video would be as a promotional tool.
"Sell 'em hope, ship'em sh*t" is a maxim for a reason (note I don't believe either console is sh*t)

Especially with this gen being mostly about subtle improvements to lighting, resolution, etc that obsessives like ourselves on here can appreciate straight away but that are impossible to explain in 30 seconds. Far better to sell the dream so that the customer is left with a question "what does that mean" than bore them and leave them with "I don't even care"

This was the ad campaign that cemented the Playstation platforms reputation as the weird one for cool guys who knew who Lynch was which was a much more important message for Sony than "Gran Turismo looks so good you guys"

I don't buy this you can't tell the difference malarkey. Now I know what people are going to say that I might be able to see the difference but the mainstream won't.

My counter to that is the mainstream hasn't been able to tell the difference since the PS2:runaway:

The add was more about the controller and the audio anyways.

Are there any adverts for the new consoles that show more than this one has? As far as I can see this is a regular pre-sale playstation advert. The kind that is supposed to spark your imagination and not lead a self entitled ego to the trough :D Where's the fun it that?

I agree, that commercials which drive your imagination are better when leading up to a new product launch. Once the product is available then you can start mixing in reality with actual games.

I think it is quite normal to have ads that can reach out to a wider audience and spark interest not just for us gamers. Especially when trying to somehow explain or visualize the haptic and trigger tech. I agree that for established gamers it is more interesting to see games in action using the tech. They will come closing in to launch and beyond.

So, RedGamingTech has made a video saying ps5 is only reserving 2gb of ram. All the rest available for devs. Nice if true, vs the 9gb available for xbsx, even if I'm sure things can change quickly.

EDIT : I'm dumb and MS isn't helping me. 9gb is abouy One X. Sorry.

Last edited:
14GB + fast SSD and new compression tech should see a very substancial improvement other last gen.

Indeed, there's a base improvement of 2.7 - 2.8 times the memory capacity and 150x faster storage. Even multiplatform games should look amazing, given time for developers and artists to rebase their toolsets. Though there's always the matter of base PC systems dragging down the consoles. :LOL:

13.5 GB (10 GB fast, 3.5 GB slow)
So, I just had a random thought about this. If SFS allows you to stream in textures at a per mip level and a perhaps only needing to load part of the texture, and because of the way memory works (pages connected to channels), might the difference between fast and slow memory be essentially the same? For example, if the texture you are streaming in is only 4 pages, assuming those pages are accessed by different channels, there would be no speed difference between the slow and fast areas in memory because you are only using 4/10 of the memory channels anyway.

Back