Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So somewhat related...

If I'm getting a XbSX or Ps5 soon, but i still only have a spdif enabled Receiver - i need to get a splitter to extract the Dolby digital or DTS from the hdmi stream.
So far so good....
Can anyone point to a splitter that will support the full range of hdmi 2.1 technologies that the upcoming consoles will support?
My current tv is hdmi 2.0, but in the future i would like to upgrade to a 2.1 TV with full VRR support.

What Audio splitter can i get now that will work for me going forward?
I'm quite happy with my current 5.1 setup and DTS.

So somewhat related...

If I'm getting a XbSX or Ps5 soon, but i still only have a spdif enabled Receiver - i need to get a splitter to extract the Dolby digital or DTS from the hdmi stream.
So far so good....
Can anyone point to a splitter that will support the full range of hdmi 2.1 technologies that the upcoming consoles will support?
My current tv is hdmi 2.0, but in the future i would like to upgrade to a 2.1 TV with full VRR support.

What Audio splitter can i get now that will work for me going forward?
I'm quite happy with my current 5.1 setup and DTS.

Don't think there are any out yet. I'm currently using this HDMI 2.0 one by J-Tech.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074HHSJVN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's working great for me. I imagine they'll eventually put out a HDMI 2.1 capable splitter in the future.

Regards,
SB

great info here, sounds like need to be aware of some titles running auto-HDR could be burn in inducing for some of those UI/logo elements.
There is a simple rule: Don't game on an OLED ;)

Auto-HDR is a great addition, if it works. I really hope that you can deactivate it on per titles basis.

Auto-HDR is a great addition, if it works. I really hope that you can deactivate it on per titles basis.

Right now I believe it's a system setting. Having it at a per-title setting would be pretty nice. But what if you forgot you set it at the title level and then wonder why it's (not) set active when you flipped it at the system level? :oops:

I game all the time on OLED. It's incredible. Burn in isn't guaranteed, just need to be wary of what you're playing a lot. Destiny caused some minor burn in on the UI, particular the bottom left. But it's very slight and not noticeable. That's with 700+ hours of it. Easily 1000+ when looking at D1 and D2 combined.

I game all the time on OLED. It's incredible. Burn in isn't guaranteed, just need to be wary of what you're playing a lot. Destiny caused some minor burn in on the UI, particular the bottom left. But it's very slight and not noticeable. That's with 700+ hours of it. Easily 1000+ when looking at D1 and D2 combined.

What OLED model are you using?

Just got the Vizio OLED in 55". God I love this thing. Never seen a picture quite like it. Course, then my PC blew up. FML

Does it have "pixel refresher" feature in menu? I'm using B9 65" for gaming too, but no burn in so far. Most if the time spent on GTS with static hud in bottom of a screen.

I think most of them have, but there are two or three levels of major engineering differences between the 7-series and 9-series which should all but eliminate burn-in concern. It may have been posted later in the previous HDR TV thread: https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2138774/ and https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2138816/

---
Newer models have better life improvements:
180*4 = 720 hours to prominent burn-in, which makes sense at 60 OLED light considering 2016 panels burnt-in prominently at 500 hours or so at max brightness. 2017 panels took that 500 to 3,000+ hours. That's 6x improvement. 2018 had their red subpixel boosted further and then 2019 ones even more. So yeah, newer panels will last way, way longer than 6 months, even if you watch news for 4 hours everyday. You'll still get burn-in, but not in 6 months. 4-5 years, probable.

Does it have "pixel refresher" feature in menu? I'm using B9 65" for gaming too, but no burn in so far. Most if the time spent on GTS with static hud in bottom of a screen.
Yes.
There is a good video about burn in here regarding a similar model. It's a very useful info dump on how to avoid burn in.

Generally I run on lower brightness as I play in a dark setting, so this has helped dramatically in reducing prolonged damage to the display. I also don't have super long gaming sessions. 3 hrs max. But usually about an hour.

A nice look at the 48" CX. Also some good comparisons between the OLED panel versus "gaming" monitors.

TL: DV - The CX is better than all 60 and 120 Hz gaming monitors. 240 Hz displays can almost match the motion clarity of the CD while 360 Hz displays can appear smoother but still don't match motion clarity.

This will apply to all LCDs in general. Non-TN panels will likely fare worse in a similar comparison as TN has the fast switching pixels at the cost of lower color fidelity, washed out blacks, and narrow viewing angles.

Regards,
SB

A nice look at the 48" CX. Also some good comparisons between the OLED panel versus "gaming" monitors.

TL: DV - The CX is better than all 60 and 120 Hz gaming monitors. 240 displays can almost match the motion clarity of the CD while 360 Hz displays can appear smoother but still don't match motion clarity.

This will apply to all LCDs in general. Non-TN panels will likely fare worse in a similar comparison as TN has the fast switching pixels at the cost of lower color fidelity, washed out blacks, and narrow viewing angles.

Regards,
SB

I consider using that as a monitor for computer work a *REALLY* bad idea and I can't emphasise this enough. So many static objects on your computer screen which will burn in you can't really avoid.

I consider using that as a monitor for computer work a *REALLY* bad idea and I can't emphasise this enough. So many static objects on your computer screen which will burn in you can't really avoid.

He's been using a 9 series OLED for a PC display for over a year now with no burn in. As have many people. You do have to take some precautions, however, like not running it at max brightness (properly calibrated monitors should never be at max brightness anyway) or leaving too many static things in the same place for long periods of time. All easily accomplished on PC.

Even easier if you use the PC primarily for gaming, which he does.

I definitely wouldn't do it with a 7 series OLED (although some people have been using a 7 series as a PC monitor for over 3 years now), but I'm fine with using either a 9 series or X series for one.

I've thought about picking up one of HPs new Ryzen based x360 laptops that come with a gorgeous 4k OLED as well.

Regards,
SB

What's the next series going to be, XI or 11 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back